How to Transform Voyager Ironhide

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by The Mad Vulcan, Jul 8, 2009.

1. The Mad Vulcan

The Mad Vulcan Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The intent of this thread is two-fold:

First, this can act as an instruction sheet for those who are just now acquiring this figure or one of his repaints. As the instruction sheet that it comes with is shit.

Second, I am introducing my opinion of the proper transformation of Ironhide. I have yet to see someone in either a photo or video transform him 'correctly'.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You will note that the chest pieces are not flopping around loose as seen in usual Ironhide transformations. Rather, there are grooves which hold the chest pieces into place on the backpack.

This 'tabbing-in' can be seen in the reflection of Ironhide's back in the mirror behind him. My argument for the intent of these slots as the place to 'tab-in' the shoulders is that they serve no purpose in vehicle form.

I made a video for each; the forward and backward transformations last night but have yet to figure out how to get them from the camera to the computer. It is the type of camera that records directly to a DVD-RW, but my computer does not recognize the movies. As a result, I can watch them but you cannot.

Transformation from Vehicle Mode into Robot Mode:

[​IMG]
    1. Start by removing the weapons, these will just get in the way during transformation.

[​IMG]
    2. Detach the rear door from the cab by pulling out from beneath the door.

[​IMG]
    3. Lift up on the front fender by placing one finger in the wheel well and lifting up until the tab is unhooked from the front bumper.

[​IMG]
    4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 on the other side, then fold down the front bumper.

[​IMG]
    5. Unsnap the front half of the rear quarter and slide it away from the bed.
    -these will need to stay out until the leg transformation is complete as they will obstruct the automorph feature.

[​IMG]
    6. Unhook the rear wall of the cab from the pelvis and fold it up under the roof of the cab.

[​IMG]
    7. Split the truck bed into the two legs. Then, lift up on the rear portion of the bed cover in order to trigger the automorph feature.
    -after automorphing the front part of the bed cover will need to be aided into its position on the inner part of the leg.
    -make sure that both toe and heel portions of the foot form a flat surface, if not the heel can be clicked into position to realign the automorph.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    8. Fold the arms up from under the cab by turning the wheels out until the wheels are next to the head.

[​IMG]
    9. Unsnap the chest piece from the cab and fold it down.

[​IMG]
    10. Hold the roof up and rotate the entire cab 180 degrees.
    Note: it is important that the roof and arms are up while the chest shield and front bumper are down.

[​IMG]
    11. Rotate the arms at the shoulder joint connecting to the wheel so that the gold emblem is facing forward. Then rotate the forearms until the screws are facing toward the torso. Finally rotate the hands so that the palms are in.
    -The arms are in a completely reversed form between vehicle and robot modes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    12. Rotate the front wheels one click away from the head, then flip it up. Rotate the wheels back. The head will lock into the hubs of the front wheels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    13. Fold the rear doors back against the inside of the front doors, then snap them into the groove on the backpack. This is located on the very bottom of the rear wall of the cab.
    -it will look best if the waist is centered.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Snap the waist pegs in locking the legs and pelvis into the upper torso.
    -this can be done at any time after leg transformation but usually comes unsnapped during the latter steps. When snapped in, the blue hinge has holes that attach to pegs on the pelvis and pegs that attach to holes on the bottom of the upper torso.

[​IMG]
    15. Flip the panel on the back of the chest shield up and then flip up the shield so that this panel is pointing toward Ironhide’s face.

[​IMG]
    16. Add weapons and/or pose as desired.

Transformation from Robot Mode into Vehicle Mode:

16. Unhook the rear doors from the backpack and fold them out.
    15. Fold the chest shield forward and the panel protruding from it down.

[​IMG]
    14. Raise the arms up until they are held straight out to the sides.

[​IMG]
    13. Shift the front wheels out one notch, fold the head down, then shift the wheel back next to the head.

[​IMG]
    12. While holding the roof up, rotate the cab 180 degrees.
    -the chest shield and front bumper should be down.
    -the roof and arms should be up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    11. Lock the cab into place by snapping the chest shield onto the tab on the backside of the firewall.

[​IMG]
    10. Untab the waist hinge and pull the front quarter panels away from the legs.
    9. To automorph the legs; start by moving the panels on the inner leg up slightly, then fold up the toe/back portion of the bed cover.

[​IMG]
    8. Snap the legs together to form the truck bed.

[​IMG]
    7. Shift the legs at the pelvic joint so that they are as far back as possible.
    -This is opposite to the direction in which the legs would be if he was sitting down. (SEE ABOVE)

[​IMG]
    6. Align the tabs on the front of the pelvis with the slots in the chest shield. Bring down the rear wall of the cab and align it with the bed, then snap the front quarter panels into place to lock this position.

[​IMG]
    5. Turn the arms down so that the wheels are parallel to the plane of the truck.

[​IMG]
    4. Twist the arms at the shoulder until the gold is facing inward and the arms are parallel with the bottom of the truck. Then turn the forearms until the screws are facing down (relative to the truck). Finally, turn the wrists making the backs of the hands face down.

[​IMG]
    3. Rotate the arms under the truck and snap them together. Then tab the arms into the pelvis.

[​IMG]
    2. Tab the roof into the back wall of the cab and fold the windshield down into position.
    -In the pic above you can see the 'cornerstone' to the figure. In vehicle mode everything tabs into the pelvis/shield.

[​IMG]
    1. Flip up the front bumper. Tab the grill into it and snap the rear doors into the cab.
    -Add weapons last.

[​IMG]
    He's a truck again!

2. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Neither Here Nor There

News Credits:
    Couldn't this have gone in his thread ?

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
  4. Heat Blast

Heat Blast Laserbeak's Stunt Double

Finally! I fiddled with his hood/shoulder armor for hours to stay flatish when I first got him! Thanks, The Mad Vulcan!

5. Demonicon

Demonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I don't really see how this is a "proper" transformation when the hood halves angle naturally like how he actually looks.

6. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    That doesn't look good at all. The chest piece isn't supposed to be blocking his head like that and the front truck pieces are supposed to be angled to make it accurate to the movie model.

7. The Mad Vulcan

Ebay:
    I think that you present a valid argument, and I would be willing to admit that I am wrong but:

I do not think that the untabbed transformation looks movie accurate. Rather, they sit too far up and flop around. If a radicon were made that snapped them in a higher angle than I have here, that would be closer.

Also, the HA Bumblebee chest piece is too flat as compared to that seen in the movie, all of the Bumblebees are. I think that the mis-transformation of Ironhide is due to an attempt to make him look more accurate.

Other flaws with my version of his transformation are:

-It inhibits waist articulation.
    -It makes the backpack more noticeable

an alternative transformation leaves the shoulders loose while putting the front bumper up and wrapping the rear wall of the cab around it. This makes the backpack look very flat and negligable but leaves the shoulders loose.

In favour of my form:

-He looks bulky not lanky.
    -There is still an angle to his chest, it is just not as much as it should be.
    -The pieces stay in place and are balanced rather than one being higher than the other.

Also: I believe that this was the intention of the designer, even though it was not shown on package as such. (There seems to be no correlation between design intent and the packaging photos/instructions in any of the TFs. It would seem that the toys are simply sent to another department for packaging.)

The tabs are there and serve no other purpose.
    With perhaps the exception of ROTF Prime, all of the TF chest are 'too flat'.

Certainly Bumblebee, Jazz, Ratchet.

Looks like I'm wrong: here is another Ironhide owner who transforms him as I do (but owns a better Camera):

[​IMG]

8. slowso

slowso TF or DIE!

any pic for the step by step transformation? thanks

9. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    ...I've been transforming him like that since I got him in 07....

10. savio-prime

savio-prime Autobot

Ebay:
    One of the things I did not like, and still do not like, is how far back the head is set. I was hoping for a new design for him with the ROTF line.

Especially Ratchet. I was soooooooo hoping for a redesign of him.

11. The Mad Vulcan

Ebay:
    Just added! (This is why I made a separate thread: it should be easy to search and learn from)

:thumbs2:  Welcome to the club bro! I bought Ironhide the day after I saw the movie (and I saw it the night prior to the release date at 7PM, Monday July 2nd 2007.) It took me a couple weeks to come up with this transformation, but he has been my fav TF ever since.

When I joined this site, I was suprised to find out that I was alone. Now I know that I am not.

To show the different forms again:

[​IMG]
    This is the Hiraga/TMV method.

[​IMG]
    Here is the TFW standard version.

[​IMG]
    The benefit of the 'floppy chest' form is that the backpack can be minimized by folding up the front bumper and wrapping the rear wall of the cab around to the back.

I've been waiting for a good Ratchet mold as well. I do not own a Ratchet.

12. omega knight

omega knight Chibi lancelot launch

News Credits:
    so the backpack /hood just clips onto the back..huh Ive been just taking the roof off the figure.

13. Lord Prime S.

Lord Prime S. Well-Known Member

This is my opinion: I think with the cab of the truck 'flopping' above his shoulders, he looks MUCH MUCH nicer with a more 'movie' feel to it; with the armors moving in motion and all.

14. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    It took me a while to figure it out, but I finally got it.

I like it this way more. Much more solid. Not to mention, it gives the head a bit more space.

The only thing that scares me is that when I do it this way, I feel like I'm stressing some of the plastic.

[​IMG]

15. The Mad Vulcan

Ebay:
    Nice premium hide Soundmaster. I've been transforming my jane Ironhide like this for two years now (and he is the most fiddled with of my figures). There is no plastic stress, although I do feel that his shoulders sit lower than originally when transformed loose, likely due to softened springs.

16. NeoGutsman

NeoGutsman Well-Known Member

Though I'm a fan of the angled look of his chest per the figure's instructions, I do think your method has tons of merit. He's a terrific figure in my opinion; it's just too bad that the instructions that came with him were not able to show the angles of his middle pieces as you showed them. Without figuring that out at first, I was always stuck putting him in alt mode properly.

My only issues with him now (being a "veteran" of transforming him a lot) are the lack of a placeholder notch or tab of some sort to hold his sternum piece in place in robot mode as well as his head being set back a bit too far as others have mentioned. These are minor complaints in my opinion though. Overall, he is a rather underrated figure at times, and really one of the only figures from the TFTM line that I completely regret not getting the Premium version of.

Thanks for the great instructions/review post, OP!

17. avmercenary

avmercenary Well-Known Member

I kinda like the cab being tabbed down, though it did take me a while to figure out how to do it.....

I was looking for somehow getting the tabs back into the alt mode piece on the back pack instead of looking for the "Grooves" in the folded up back pack...

So, I spent ten minutes looking for tabs that were not there instead of looking for groves to slide the doors into.

You should rephrase that Mad Vulcan, groove instead of tabs...

Otherwise it is pretty cool, thanks for the info!

18. The Mad Vulcan

Ebay:
    Fixed. Thanks for the suggestion.

19. dmc2008

dmc2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There is indeed a new Ratchet mold coming out. He's a deluxe and apparently has a much more movie-accurate bot mode, but I guess his alt mode isn't quite as good as the voyager's.

As far as Ironhide goes, I think it's cool that the front of the cab tabs in like that, but it doesn't look like the character to me. I don't really mind the floppyness.

20. TacticalSamurai

TacticalSamurai Hunter Killer

I have to admit, but both transformations look a little incorrect to me. This is how I do the back part of the cab. I simply tuck and fold it under the roof. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files: