How to tell the new KO Reissues apart from authentic toys.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by JunkersHVN, Mar 15, 2007.

1. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    the KO does not have TRU style packaging. The manual should be shifting in the box.

2. tffan2000

tffan2000 Member

Thanks for your quick response. I wanted to ask you what do you mean when you said TRU style packaging? Also does the manual shifting affect its value as a collectible? Thanks again!

3. BenjaminXavier

News Credits:
    The KO of Soundwave has Takara packaging, the black box with the fancy photo. The TRU packaging is purple I think.

so long as its sealed, it won't affect the value. the manuals are always loose in the back of the boxes.

4. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Anyone have a list of what movie toys have been knocked off? I mean the knockoffs that try to look like the real deal. Not blatant crappy knockoffs.

5. tffan2000

tffan2000 Member

6. tffan2000

tffan2000 Member

The box looks right, but it does not have any Toys R Us exclusive sticker or emblem on the front. I have been told that MP-02 Soundwaves without the Toys R Us sticker/emblem is a reissue from Hasbro after TRU went bankrupt. Is this true? If so, is the reissue less collectible/valuable?

7. BenjaminXavier

News Credits:
    It just means it was asian stock instead of US stock. One isn't more valuable than the other

8. tffan2000

tffan2000 Member

Thanks for all your help!

9. tffan2000

tffan2000 Member

This may not be the correct forum, but I recently ordered some transformers from tf-direct after I confused it with TFSource. Is tf-direct a good site to order from, or should I try to cancel my order?

10. skywarp-2

skywarp-2 Master of Teleportation

Ebay:
    Isn't a KO actually an authentic toy? I mean, as apposed to a fake toy? a KO is real.. I am sorry, just having difficulty with the wording in the thread title. Official is a term I would have used. But I am not trying to be a jerk here, just making a comment. No malice behind it, please take it with levity. (we tend to take ourselves too seriously and posts sometimes without a cadence for context, and sometimes we read stuff differently depending on our own moods..)

• Like Like x 1
  11. BenjaminXavier

News Credits:
    KO stands for "Knock off" as in, an unauthorized copy of the original toy. Just like how you can buy a fake rolex on the streets of NY for $50.

So they are obviously real physical toys, but they are not made buy Hasbro (in this case).

12. Kamen Ranger Bat

Kamen Ranger Bat omae wa mou shindei

Google+:
    YouTube:
    No you can't. Those faulex watches have been going up in price. (Sarcasm from a New Yorker.)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Noobimus Prime

Noobimus Prime Well-Known Member

Hello everyone. Hoping this is the right thread to put this in

I am thinking of starting a G1 transformers collection. I am NOT looking for originals from the 80’s. I’m looking more towards the various reissues that have come out over the years. My main questions are: have these reissues been knocked off? If so what should I be looking for? And is there a list of all the reissues they’ve put out?

14. BenjaminXavier

News Credits:
    The reissues have not been knocked off. Most of them are availalbe pretty cheap on eBay nowadays. Plus there's the handful of new ones from Walmart.

The reissue series are listed here:

Japanese:
    Transformers Encore - Transformers Wiki
    The Transformers Collection - Transformers Wiki

USA - TRU early 2000s:
    The Transformers: Generation One Commemorative Series - Transformers Wiki

There were also a few USA reissues put out in random Universe packaging:
    Transformers: Universe (2008 toyline) - Transformers Wiki
    (Soundwave, Blaster, and Optimus Prime)

And then also some came out as Platinum sets more recently:
    Transformers: Platinum Edition - Transformers Wiki
    (called out on this page as "g1 reissue)

Obviously not everything Platinum or Universe was a G1 reissue.

Here's a page that links all that with a bit of explanation, that now that I've found it clearly I could have just linked this instead of typing a paragraph when I should be getting ready for work. =(

Generation 1 reissues - Transformers Wiki

• Like Like x 2
  15. Noobimus Prime

Noobimus Prime Well-Known Member

Sir thank you so much!

One last question. When you say tbeyre going for pretty cheap on eBay how much are you talking about?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  16. littlediegito

littlediegito Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Hello everyone!

I have read through a big chunk of the thread, but it is almost 60 pages long so I probably have not been as thorough as possible. I apologize if I just need to dig deeper in the thread.

I have 4 Masterpiece figures and when I got them I didn't realize Knock Off figures were a thing. So I am concerned that mine may be KOs. Ultimately it is not a huge deal because I like them and I have them for display and not resale value. Mostly I would feel bad if I bought one because I enjoy them and would like for the money to have gone to the people who make them. Also I would like to know just in case there is ever a time I sell/trade them I wouldn't want to misrepresent them.

So, what are the best ways for someone who doesn't know much about this and doesn't have anything else to compare them to to determine if an MP Prowl, Bumblebee, Smokescreen, and Optimus Prime are authentic or KO?

Thank you!

Diego

17. BenjaminXavier

News Credits:
    How much did you pay and where did you buy them? If you paid full price on eBay or bought from a normal retailer (BBTS/TF Source/ETC) you're probly ok. If you paid like $30 you might have a KO.

Prime's KO doesn't come in a Takara/Hasbro box, so if you have a normal box you're probly ok.

The others do have slight differences, each has a thread on here. If you google "masterpiece smokescreen ko comparison tfw2005" it should come up, then just change the name

• Like Like x 1
  18. littlediegito

littlediegito Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I got Prowl and Bumblebee from Amazon Marketplace. Looking back on that order I paid $40 each, which sounds like they are probably KO versions. I got Smokescreen off ebay for about the same price (at the time I didn't know KOs were a thing so I probably just thought the was the regular going rate since I was able to get them all for that). So he is probably KO too. My Optimus does have a black Takara box that looks very similar to the boxes the other 3 came in. So he may be authentic.

Thank you for the suggestion. When I go home from work this evening and can have them in hand I will google the threads.

19. BenjaminXavier

News Credits:
    $40 might be right for BB, he's smaller and cost less. But its probly worth looking at a comparison thread or a video

• Like Like x 1
  20. BenjaminXavier

News Credits:
    Relatively cheap compared to their orignal prices, for the most part. The TRU cars for example sold at TRU for about $30, they now sell for about $30 (opened but with packaging). So they're a good deal, generally. I think soundwave is still pricey and prime goes up and down (though there's a Chinese reissue of Prime and Magnus that usually goes for about $60, original retail was $40 I think). If you stick to US releases they're not too pricey.