How to tell the new KO Reissues apart from authentic toys.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by JunkersHVN, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    I don't think you can call my guide inaccurate based on some vague recollection that it supposedly took me "a long time" to fix an error on it one time 10 years ago. I don't buy that and I hope that other people are smart enough to not buy that either. The site has always been a combination of my own guides, other peoples' guides, and feedback from users of the site. I definitely value peoples' feedback and I always fix any errors people find in them or "running changes" people tell me about. If you know of "threads" or "blogs" that are more accurate than the resources on the site, then tell me about them and I will link to them. This is definitely more helpful than complaining about something that happened 10 years ago and telling people the site is "inaccurate".

• Like Like x 1
  2. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In general, do the parts (missiles, firing hands, etc) of the new G1 KOs fit the originals fine?

Specifically, can anyone confirm if KO Sunstreaker shoulders and missiles fit the original?

3. g0tht3ch

g0tht3ch Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I can confirm that a KO Ironhide accessories fit the original....

• Like Like x 1
  4. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg me King!

News Credits:
    A local guy has these for sale on Craigslist. They are KOs right?

IMG_1491573771576_resized.jpg

IMG_1491573756302_resized.jpg

IMG_1491573739125_resized.jpg

5. slideshot

slideshot Well-Known Member

Yep - KOs. Optimus Prime is one of the easier ones because the lettering on the flap is off. The Formers part should be more to the right, about halfway under the A. The insecticons all have the bright circular sunburst that doesn't fade, which is very common in KO boxes.

6. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg me King!

News Credits:
    I thought so - thanks. I looked on the "High End Transformer Knock-Off" guide and some of the photos linked there no longer exist. I just wanted to confirm.

The guy selling these (for roughly $500 total) claims that they are "definitely NOT knock-offs". Lol.

7. Deathstartrashcompactor

Deathstartrashcompactor New Member

Would anyone know if this Prime is real or a KO based on the pics provided?? The issue stems from the lack of a screw hole on the headplate of Prime....

Attached Files:

8. BenjaminXavier

News Credits:
    Another easy way to tell is just to look at the lack of shelfware on the boxes. Anything 30+ years old will have at least SOME wear on the box. All the KOs look brand new. If nothing else the tape should be off color and there should be dents on some corners.

9. Exodus

Exodus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Was there ever a KO MP Takara Sunstorm?

10. slideshot

Igear did a Sunstorm based off their changes to the MP3 mold, but is substantially more orange and doesn't have the flames that Takara's Sunstorm has. As of right now, no one else has. However, BB7 and KBB are doing KO MP11 molds, and will probably do a Sunstorm in the near future.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. toyshop84

toyshop84 Member

Is the Mindwipe a new KO?, also Tracks? without box. A few MP KOs have appeared too, Starscream and Soundwave

Shame the minibots don't have stickers on as they look good. Sorry can't post the pictures for some reason, it thinks they are spam or something, but you'll find them on ebay.

12. tukai

tukai Well-Known Member

I am going to order Mp28 Hot rodimus. How can I ensure that I am getting a real one? Amazon has it for $61 which is lower than some, but higher than the $30 version I expect to be KO.

13. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Thanks for this incredibly useful guide. I've got what I think is a genuine G1 box, which has a real mix of the above:

[​IMG]

It's a TM box, with the narrow grey border to the left of the large drawn character and the vertically cut bottom right tyre that doesn't meet the edge of the box. These would seem to indicate it may be fake. However, the other markers indicate it may be genuine (there's also a mark in the top, right of the mirage character where the sticker was). I don't really care whether it's fake or not as the box is in bad shape anyway and it's the only thing I have of Mirage. I thought it might be worth posting though in case anyone is looking on ebay and is also seeing conflicting information.

I have a question that's vexing me re: the 'age' guidance at the bottom of G1 boxes. Apologies if it's been answered already (I did do a search but couldn't find anything). Sometimes the boxes say 5 & up, sometimes 7 & up and very occasionally, 6 & up. Is this to do with the different territories in which they were sold? I have 2 G1 Megatron boxes - 1 with 5 & up, 1 with 7:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The really odd thing with the 7 & UP one (and you can just make this out on from the photo) is that it looks like it did say 5 & UP and has been overtyped with 7!!?

My AFA G1 Dirge, says 7 & up but I've seen other AFA Dirges on ebay that are 5 & up.

• Like Like x 2
  14. slideshot

I've been trying to find a source for this, but I remember reading somewhere that the first releases said 5 & up, but were later changed to 7 & up due to some legal change or policy change by Hasbro. I'll link a source if I can find one.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Prototype / Testshot collector

News Credits:
    Yeah I remember someone AFA'ed one that had the 5 & up and said it was a Hasbro sample and sold it for like $14,000. I've seen both the 5 and 7. The back is also different on a lot of the 5 and up, like it missing the Rhode Island address or something.

• Like Like x 1
  16. roadbusterandtopspin101

roadbusterandtopspin101 New Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    This thread has been very useful to me. thanks

• Like Like x 1
  17. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Well-Known Member

The bad thing is if people put a KO in an original used box. Also I think they were doing KO's even back in the early 80's. Which is why Takara/Hasbro went to rubsigns. I always hated the rubsigns compared to regular logo stickers.

18. madhatprime

madhatprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I just bought a wheeljack (G1) off e-bay. I got a decent price on it, and Im beginning to wonder if its a KO or not... All the plastic colors match, and the window is the same color as the original. The screws are the flat type, not the round from what I've seen of KOs, and the paint is not over sprayed, its quite on point. What gets me is the Rubsign on it. Its not on the spoiler, its on the chest. It could have been moved there, as i have seen this done to Original vintage figures. (Where it comes off, and re-applied where it looks good, I did this myself when I was little) The copywrite stamp looks correct from what I can tell too. I used this page as a guide, but the google translate is spotty at best. Any tips to find out for sure?
    KO千斤顶 - KO资料库 - AC模玩网-中文世界最大的模型玩具网

So I figured it out. The rubsign was moved to the chest. I lifted it off and the autobot logo sticker was under it. Its not a ko!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017 at 12:14 AM
  19. combinerlover

combinerlover TERRORCONS , merge , and form ABOMINUS

So if this has been discussed prior to my asking , But what is the quality of the KO Weirdwolf and KO Skullcruncher ? Are they equally as good as the original ect .... Because I need those figures bad and the price of the KO`s are so damn tempting . I could get both for what I would pay for an authentic , PLEASE HELP :)  Thanx friends .

20. BenjaminXavier

News Credits:
    Generally, the new KOs coming out of China are good quality. Not quite as good as G1 but just about. I bought Sunstreaker and Mirage and they're as good as the Hasbro reissues from about 10 years ago.

I can't speak to those specific figures, but a few months/weeks back people were talking about them in this thread. If you go back you should be able to find the posts.

• Like Like x 1