How to tell the new KO Reissues apart from authentic toys.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by JunkersHVN, Mar 15, 2007.

1. combinerlover

combinerlover TERRORCONS , merge , and form ABOMINUS

Can any one tell me about the WEIRDWOLF , MINDWIPE , the PREDACONS , the TERRORCONS and BROWNING please ?

2. code3collector

code3collector Well-Known Member

You probably know already that there is a KO MP Ironhide as im reading this a few months later, but just in case you dont :) 

3. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Anybody have a list of all the high quality knock offed movie figures?

I'm trying to buy the few remaining movie figures I want and there seems to be a shitload of Chinese knock odd listings flooding eBay, and most concerning is that many are of recent Takara AOE toys like the repainted battle blades bumblebee and Revenge battle blades Optimus prime.

Please help folks!

4. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    Did you ever get them? What did you think?

5. gigtigre

gigtigre Well-Known Member

Could someone tell me how to spot a fake Takara buster Optimus Prime?
    I'm going to buy one and I need to be sure it is not a KO.
    Box and / or mold differences?

6. netkid

News Credits:
  7. netkid

News Credits:
    Also this:

8. netkid

News Credits:
    The guy does a comparison between the KO buster, the real buster, and the faceplated buster that comes in the rotf/DOTM 2-pack with jetfire.

He says that for a KO, the KO buster is still great quality with nice strong joints and detailing. However, the KO is lighter in weight, has thicker pin striping around the flames, and has poor silver paint coverage on the red plastic toes. Also, one of his red plastic toes was damaged during factory assembly. He still recommends it though if you don't want to spend for an original. But if eBay sold prices are any indication, the KO is also command Big prices now too.

So depending on how much you'd have to spend to own one, you may just be better splurging for a real one.

Heck, you may just do better getting the optimus/jetfire two pack. That may be a cheaper option, and you'd still get the buster, just with the faceplate and blue striping on the flames.

But in all honesty, if you want a real one, I'd just save up and buy a new Misb one from Japan.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  9. batfan007

batfan007 Dononomics 101 Graduate 2017

News Credits:
    It's a factory reject. It is literally the same toy, from the samy factories with too much paint on the eyes and a couple of slightly minor variations that you would never notice without a guide and photos.
    Same with the recent cheap MP Optimus Primal that is out. Not to be confused with the actuak KO Oversized Primal that is coming soon.

People use the term KO in a generic sense for ANYTHING that is not released from official sources.

Like for example the factory reject MP Shockwaves that turned up on ebay a few months back, sold and then were never seen again. If it was an actual copy, and not a factory reject that would have been more of them. No company would reverse engineer a toy for that quality to sell so little of them, with obvious damage to them. The amount of time, effort and money required would not have paid off. Makes no kind of sense.
    A factory reject, in small numbers however, and then there was no more... makes far more sense.

Personally I make distinction between toys that are made by the official company, and sold through other channels, and actual copies of original toys (of varying quality) made a by a different company that have been reverse engineered or 3d printed or modeled or sculpted or however the hell they did it.

10. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

I might be worth someone asking Hasbro if they can confirm or deny that the 2nd (slightly different) Starsaber was made for sale on the hasbro Toyshop or not - as that seems to be one of the rumors attached to it.

It isn't 'exactly the same toy' - it did come out of a different mould and it is a different colour in some small places too - I'm kinda reminded of something like the difference between a Takara Beast Wars and a Hasbro Beast Wars toy when they shared a colour scheme there was still subtle differences as they had their own moulds even though they were making the same basic thing.

I don't particularly care which version something is - I just like to know in advance so that if I wanted the other version I don't end up with two the same. For example the B version of Starsaber isn't worth paying 130.00 for.

11. batfan007

News Credits:
    1. It wasn't. The are mostly sold on ebay from China through individual sellers.

2. They don't confirm possible illegal sales of their toys. It makes no sense as a business to for HASBRO to promote something that somebody else is selling, whether they got it by legitimate means or not, unless it was cross promotion like an IDW comic etc.

Three is no "second version" - just factory defects that have been already heavily covered couple months back in the MP Star SAber thread, including HD photos from a forum member there who documented all the known differences (very minor, very small) to help anyone looking to buy either version know what they are getting.

FYI - I have the KO version, I'm not just talking shit.

12. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

I think we are talking across each other a bit here.

13. johnchow604

johnchow604 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    I'll try to do ID guides for Skullcruncher and Mindwipe soon. Sorry for the delay. I'm also missing Wheelie apparently. Am I missing anything else?

• Like Like x 2
  15. johnchow604

johnchow604 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Based on what's offering on iOffer, those are the new Zhong jin g1s. thanks.

16. Might Gaine

News Credits:
  17. Noodlez

Noodlez Member

18. murphbri

murphbri Well-Known Member

I just received the Weirdwolf KO from that same seller. They shipped it in a box that was barely big enough to fit with no packing whatsoever. The front window was scuffed really bad from moving around during shipping and the bubble holding Weirdwolf was detached so he slides around in the box and pushes on the window.

Thanks for the guide, my MISB collection is in storage but I wanted something to display alongside the new Takara boxed Legends headmasters so I gave the Weirdwolf a shot. I could not find any reviews on here as to the quality of these for displaying MISB. Another tip to tell them apart is they (well the Weirdwolf at least) have four pieces of tape on each side, one on top and bottom, and two in the usual place where there is normally one.

19. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    Uhh I already responded in this thread and added the new guides :p 

20. batfan007

News Credits:
    I did not see it, responding to whoever asked in the last couple pages.
    Perhaps you could quote the post where you put it, to save the same question popping up yet again in the next two pages?
    I have no idea where you post is, as this thread is 51 pages.

Deleted my previous post.