Customs: How to tell the Difference Between Plastic and Paint Apps?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Anti-Venom, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

Hey I was wondering how do you tell the difference between plastic and paint apps on a transformer??

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    If you're referring to dyed plastic and paint applications, the difference is pretty obvious. One is the actual color of the plastic from dye whereas the other is plastic painted with paint.

3. Ellamin

Ellamin Moonbeam Dreamer

News Credits:
    That's not that helpful, he seems to be asking how one tells if that bit of coloring is a paint app or colored plastic without stripping all paints off.

4. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Stripping paint off would be inferred from the op, not gleaned from it. However, since you feel that my post wasn't helpful, then please feel free to post the necessary assistance yourself.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  5. Anti-Venom

This is exactly what I meant.
    Sorry If I wasn't clear about that in the OP.
    <-------- Needs to stop posting after 3 AM because I don't post clearly after that time.

6. Superquad7

News Credits:
    :wink: 

Well, I still refer to my original answer some. Paint is an additional material, whereas plastic is the base material. Most of the parts you find on TFs are dyed plastic, but there are some paint applications on some parts.

Most times you can spot paint on a TF because it's an additional thin layer one top of a dyed plastic part. I'd simply recommend looking at each of your TFs, and seeing if you can spot a paint application and compare/contrast what that paint application looks like against a piece of dyed plastic. Note that most of the movable parts on TFs are dyed plastic.

7. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Yeah, I don't get the question. Paint looks like paint, plastic looks like plastic.

Figures are molded in colored plastic and paint is used sparingly to help detail parts. So more often than not on any given piece, the color that makes the majority of that piece is the plastic color. And often paint is used to detail one side and not another.

All I can really say is just look at the figure and it should be real apparent what is paint and what is colored plastic.

8. Anti-Venom

Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it. :)