Customs: How to take Classics Seeker missile launchers apart

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by megacyber, Jan 15, 2009.

1. megacyber

megacyber Wrecker

Anyone know of a good way to split the seeker's missile launchers? I was hoping they'd be held together by screws, but upon further examination, well, they're not. I want to use the square part as the base for a side project I'm working on, but I don't want to damage it taking it apart. Any suggestions?

2. MacrossFA19

MacrossFA19 That son of a bitch!!!

Ebay:
    Remove the ring from where you insert the missile first, use a exacto knife or hobby knife to slice around the tip, then sorrta pry it in there, and slide the ring off. Then neatly slice the seam around the whole launcher, don't dig too much, you might have to do this a bit bit you wont dig into the plastic. Then when you feel that you went as deep as the knife will let you, stick the knife in the seam at the bottom of the launcher and pry the glued halves apart.

Mod, Sand, and paint. Voila.

Hope that helps.

Mac

3. megacyber

megacyber Wrecker

Awesome, I'll give this a try. Thanks for the advice.

4. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

In my experience, a lot of this is based arbitrarily upon how much glue was used at the factory. On some of my seeker projects, the outer ring just fell right off, and the halves split apart without any complaints. On others? The whole front end broke off and the halves took an unreasonable portion of the other half with them when they split.

I wish I knew of a way to weaken the glue bonds -- I tried soaking them in goo-gone, using boiling water, freezing them, nothing seems to faze that ultraglue they use at the factory...