Minor/Repaint: How to take apart seeker legs

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Spiffy, May 17, 2018.

1. Spiffy

Spiffy Active Member

My Starscream classics wing fin has a 1 or two millemetre gap between it and the legs, which I want to close up. I'm not sure exactly what is the reason, but I suppose if I can pull it out I could shave or cut the dowel shorter. I'm wondering, how do I get at it? The legs themselves are screwed. But I'm assuming I'd need to get that fin pin out first, but there's a triangle of plastic in the way of where I'd hold a soddering iron to heat the pin up to pull it out. What's the best plan of attack here?

Attached Files:

2. DominoParadox

DominoParadox Moltenstorm the destroyer

Twitter:
    Yeah um, I would suggest changing the title just a tad bit. I assumed it would be a tutorial on how to take apart seeker legs.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Hotconvoy

Hotconvoy Well-Known Member

Unscrew the legs and the thruster(the blue piece) will come out. Then you should have a clear shot at that pin.

4. Spiffy

Spiffy Active Member

Oh, ok. I assumed I wouldn't be able to unscrew the legs because that pin was keeping them sandwiched between it and the fins but I see now, the thruster is a separate piece . Is there any glue on the legs as well as the screws before I start trying to pry the legs open?

I know I could already be experimenting rather then asking more questions, but traditionally when I start prying I apply too much force and not enough thought and wind up with a broken toy.

5. Hotconvoy

Hotconvoy Well-Known Member

I've done that many times, many times:banghead: .

6. Sephthestoryteller

Sephthestoryteller Customizer

That capped pin has ridges under the blue that hold it in place. If you try to use a soldering iron to remove it, you will melt the white hinge before the pin even becomes loose. If you remove the screws and try to separate it you will move likely break the hinge. Unlike the pins that Hasbro uses to fasten tires to alt-modes these pins serve one purpose - to hold the joint in place. I would recommend you not attempt taking it apart.

And yes there is glue but you can get past that by getting a thin, pointy, sharp object and using it to separate the plastic evenly. It's a pin-hole method that separates the glued plastic without cracking it. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  7. Spiffy

Spiffy Active Member

Yeah, once I unscrewed the leg,, the soddering iron got the pin hot .. but instead of sliding the fin off the pin, the pin went right through the thuster. Which had me thinking it was ruined, but I cut the dowel down as planned, heated up the pin again and got it back in; and I suppose the plastic had reverted back in shape enough to still hold together albeit a bit loosely. That said, it looks perfect now even with the wobble, so I'm happy with it.

8. Sephthestoryteller

Sephthestoryteller Customizer

I'm glad it worked out for you, you're one of the few that got it to work without ruin the figure. You should take pride in that!