How to store UK TF comics?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Jaicen, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok, so i've now amassed what I consider a fairly substantial UK G1 comic collection. I'm trying to work out the best way to store them, so that they can be picked up and read, but still protected.
    Boxes and bags is ok, but has the drawback of being cumbersome and expensive. Just boxing them is cheaper, but it makes finding issues a ballache.

I'd like something like a box file that holds 30-50 issues.

Anybody got any suggestions?

2. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It's a tricky thing to be sure. When I was a kid I'd punch holes in my Marvel UK TF comics and store them in binders. That was probably not a great idea. These days they're stored in those boxes you get copier paper in as they're the perfect size and can hold like half the Marvel run on a single box. Although obviously not great if you wanna grab a particular issue to flip through.

The current UK TF comic is more troublesome as it changes size from issue to issue (hate those extra bits at the top), and I also leave the covermounted gifts in place so that makes them bulky to store. Once again I've just resorted to boxes to store them and Asda used to have these great boxes just the right size which I'd nab from the cages when they were empty after stacking shelves. But still a pain in the arse if you wanna grab a particular issue out to read.

The UK G2 and Armada TF comics were no easier.

Anyways, I waffle off the point of the question.
    To be honest I've never found a way to store for easy access that satisfied me. There's probably some big plastic pockets with binder holes out there that might fit but they're bigger than A4 and so cost more. Not great when you have 300+ issues you wanna stash in them.
    Surely there must be some comic bags like the US-size issues have. Then maybe tape those together in sets of ten or something to make a sort of book of issues. Or buy those shallow folder boxes and take out the springloaded arm so they don't damage the top issue.

Or just bin all your UK idividual issues and track down the TPBs.

I've been utterly no help here, have I? :p 

3. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Put them in boxes, in order. You could maybe have paper between each one saying which issue, or the year of release. That's what I would do, and have each comic in a plastic sleeve.

4. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    My full set of original Marvel UK comics are in an individual plastic pocket each, kept in 7 big binders. That's 332 comics, all collected comics. I still need some of the specials.

I read the titan paperbacks mostly, but do pull out the odd comic just to read.

Works for me, but each to their own.

Cheers

5. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Define 'fairly substantial' for me. Just the UK run of TF comics (Armada etc) and you can just box them in A4 file boxes (go to Viking.com and look up 'no. G28-4875813') and put them on a shelf. I have a LOT of comics, so I needed something a bit more... flexible I suppose.

Personally I have stackable clear (ish) boxes (with lids) that you can get from Poundstretcher, (I 'think' they're 'technically' called underbed storage boxes, but they're still designed to be stackable. They might just be stackable storage boxes though...)
    All my comics/magazines that I want to keep are stored in these boxes (the comics are laid spine up, and opposite edge on the bottom of the box) and these boxes are stacked.

These boxes are slightly wider on the top then at the bottom which is both a plus and a negative. The wider top half of the box accomodates the increased size of comics/Magazine spines, ie they store better with more give for the spine.

The negative is a bit more involved, because the box is narrower at the bottom, and wide at the top this means the base of the upper box sits neatly within a moulding in the lid of the bottom box. This is fine for clothes and low density items, but comics/magazines lined up in the box effectively makes a big block of solid wood.

The problem with the stacking is the entire weight of the upper box is placed on the lid of the box beneath, so once you've got a pile 3 or 4 tall the weight of 3 boxes of comics will warp that base lid as its not manufactured to take that sort of weight at all.

I got around this by making wooden slats (cut from old pallets, bear in mind these boxes work out at around 20kg each, 3 boxes means 60kg on the bottom box, pallets are desidned to take a hell of a lot more weight then that. Floor planks would also be good, they're designed to take a full grown person after all) that span the width of the lid so that the weight of the upper boxes isn't in the middle of the lid, instead its on the wood which is turn is supported by the edge of the box itself, which is a lot sturdier. Its hard to explain without a diagram... if people are interested I can take a picture when I get home and post it.

Anyway throw in each box a bunch of Silicate pouches to absorb moisture (I got a whole bunch from CPC) into each crate and hey presto, all my US comics (Marvel, DC, Image etc), UK comics (Titan, Megazines) and magazines (Paul Raymond publications... only joking ;) ) are happily stored in my garage.

Getting them out is a bit of a pain though, although you can see the front and back issue the rest are hidden. Also, the individual weight of these means if you want an issue/series thats at the bottom of the furthest away stack prepare for a little grunting. Also, each box must be full, otherwise the comics don't have any support from the side and flop around, getting damaged.

Hopefully a whole bunch of comics I want easy (easier) access to will be stored on shelves in my 'library' soon, once my conservatory is finished!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Why is it all I can imagine now is a crazy-eyed Captain Kirk surrounded by bits of wooden pallet and plastic boxes full of comics? :p 
    That seems to be the ultimate issue (no pun intended) when it comes to storing UK TF comics. Always good ways to store them, it's the easy getting to a particular issue to have a quick reads that becomes a challenge.
    I suppose we just store for keeping our comics neat and safe and then use TPBs for the actual reading. Of course there's more to the old UK TF comics though than just the TF strips.

7. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I collect the comics, because they're more than the sum of just the stories, if that makes any sense. That's why I shy away from the TPBB's.
    That said, I just got a set of the Titan B&W reprints of the later UK backup strips which I think are brilliant. Just the right size to keep around for a quick fix.

Anyway Tikgnat, by substantial, I mean 2/3rds of the UK run, plus a handful of other issues. I'm thinking that finding the first and last 30 issues is going to be tricky and expensive.
    The Viking site is down at the minute, but I was thinking that the box type files would be good. I could perhaps put a piece of board at the front to take the pressure from the spring inside. However, how many issues can I store this way? I'm guessing it's going to get expensive.
    I want them stored in lightproof boxes to keep them protected from sunlight etc, and I don't want stacked boxes if I can avoid it, I have enough of that with my electronics.

So i'm guessing that the concensus is that I should put them in bags, though that makes it a little trickier to read, I guess it's worth the trade off for the protection.

Also, Doucoo, you swine! How hard was it to amass the complete collection?

8. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    You answered your own question. I find box files are best for the recent comic series due to the size of it.
    I keep my old 80s TF comics in ring binders in those clear pouches that go in binders.
    Write the issue numbers that are in the folder/box file on the spine of it and they are then easy to find.

I have almost all the 80s, G2, Armada and movie TFUK comics and they don't really take up much room at all when stored in files. 8 binders/file boxes full.

9. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Exactly the same with me - I've got the full set in individual plastic pockets across 7 lever arch files.

10. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Right, well that's what i'll do then. I guess i'll have to find space for seven big ass files now!

11. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Drawer Boxes make a magazine size which works fine for me.