Customs: How to stop white paint 'yellowing'??

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by godsenddeath, Jan 22, 2006.

1. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Need a bit of advice.......

The paint on the roof of my BTA Alert has begun to chip badly. I've tried a few different makes of paint, and they all develop an 'off white' colour as soon as they're dry.

Can anyone offer any advice??

Thanks

2. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Have you tried Testors gloss white? Use the stuff in the jar; its thicker and can be used to fill in the chips. You'll probably need to use several coats to get it completely filled in, though. After that, use some very fine (1000 grit) wet/dry sandpaper to wet sand the repair area so that it matches the rest of the surface. The final step would be to either use progressively finer grades of sandpaper to polish the surface to a gloss, or, spray a coat of clear gloss paint over the entire surface.

If you've given Testor's a try already, go to an auto parts place and get a small container of automotive touch-up paint in the color that best matches your application.

Remember, you'll probably need to wait at least one week for the paint to cure before you can start sanding anything, if you use the Testors or auto touch-up paint.

Good luck!

3. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks, I'll look into it............

4. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

I might point this out, unless you're certain otherwise.

The 'off-white' look of some paints might be because the die cast color bleeds through after the paint dries. You might want to try extra coats. If you have, and you know that's not the issue, then nevermind... :D 

5. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    ooh, sounds like you might be using bad paint. I've painted a part or two on mine, using testors model master acrylic paint. not enamel. I'm almost positive that if you get that it will solve your problem. the best way I can think to apply it for chipping problems (did a g1 wheeljack this way) is to apply it with a toothpick that's had most of the paint dabbed off. the paint will most likely fill in the chip and not go onto the factory paint. let me know if this works, it'd be nice to know if my advice works, or is total bs ;)