Customs: How to Stop Paint Flake

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by drill, Mar 31, 2008.

1. drill

drill Gotham's White Knight

News Credits:
    Alright, I have done a few repaints in my day, but my personal favorite has been my Classics Megatron (Which I redid mostly from the last time I posted it). However, my only reall gripe about it (and all my customs) is that my paint flakes off if I transform him. Now is there anything out there that I can add to the paint so it does not flake anymore?

2. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You should definitely sand down the areas you can see rubbing, a good sealer like Future Floor finish(glossy) of testors matt clear coat work great to help prevent chipping as well.

3. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    and it's all about the preparation of your surface you are going to paint. I can't stress this enough.

It's important to provide that 'bridge' that will bond the paint to the plastic. There are several techniques you need to do.

1. wash the surfaces you are going to be painting.
    2. I always do a light wash with paint thinner. This breaks down the plastic just slightly enough to cause an abrasive surface. You'll see the plastic gets foggy, this is good.
    3. choose a good primer. Krylon fusion is almost everywhere, and its a great primer for plastic.