How to solve Plastic Stress Marks?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    So I recently bought a toy a Reissue Sideswipe which the seller failed to tell me had a stress mark on the spoiler.

I am just wondering what is the best way to get rid of the stress mark.

I have read that you need to heat up the spot with a hair dryer. Well, I have some quick questions:
    1- How long do I need to heat up the area for?
    2- What do I need to look out for while heating. Will the stress mark change colors?
    3- Since I cannot remove the spoiler, the metal heats up pretty quickly. Will the paint bubble on the diecast from doing this?
    4- Do I do this in multiple passes?

I did it once, for maybe 3 or so minutes, but the stress mark is still there. I am just worried that the paint will bubble, so I wanted to ask first.

Thanks,

[Edit with Solution]

I used one of those Bic lighters you start a stove with. BOOM, it was like taking an eraser to the stress Mark.

For those of you looking in the future, keep the flame like 3 or so inches away and work in a circular manner. Try getting closer but not too close and always keep the flame moving. I had no warping or anything with this approach. What you will see happen is that the stress mark will immediately disappear.

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I don't think enamel paint will bubble... but I don't know anything about this technique. I've been able to revese some stress marks in the past by applying pressure and rubbing them, but I do have a couple stubborn ones that I'd love to see disappear, if the dryer thing works...

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I use an open flame like a candle, hairdryers don't cut it most of the time.

Warning, it takes practice. You can very easily warp and burn the plastic. PRACTICE on some bent scrap plastic.

4. flamepanther

You are braver with your toys than I am, sir. I'm especially not doing that to my Knight Morpher Commander.

5. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hairdryers definitely do not cut it. The flame approach is risky though, so be advised. I just used a lighter to fix a stress mark on a DOTM voyager optimus the other day, and the plastic got a little warped (not too bad though). A "touch and go" approach with the flame is best.

6. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Get a heat gun! Hair dryers do not get hot enough. Set it to high and work the area in a circling motion. You should see the stress mark disappear! When that happens remove the heat and set the heat gun to cool, and give it a couple more passes with cool air.

7. flamepanther

That sounds better than a lighter. Recommended wattage or heat range?

8. Bruticon

Bruticon The DVJ Moderator

News Credits:
    Get yourself a hot air gun from a hardware store. They get a LOT hotter than a blow dryer and IMO easier to control than a candle or lighter. Be CAREFULL though and be patient. Needless to say but I will anyway too much heat will still melt/warp the figure too little and you'll do nothing but run up your electric bill

EDIT: juise beat me to it. Good call on the circular motion forgot to mention that

9. flamepanther

What about boiling water, like you'd do to fix bent soft plastic parts? Would that work too?

10. Bruticon

News Credits:
    Most are basic with two settings high and low. Mine is form ACE and works well. Not sure on it's voltage or heat range but it get's F'n hot

11. Bruticon

News Credits:
    DO NOT touch the plastic with the metal cone on the Heat Gun. It WILL melt the figure

12. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Thank you!

Since I returned my heat gun, I decide to take a gamble on this. So I used one of those Bic lighters you start a stove with. BOOM, it was like taking an eraser to the stress Mark.

For those of you looking in the future, keep the flame like 3 or so inches away and work in a circular manner. Try getting closer but not too close and always keep the flame moving.

I had no warping or anything with this approach.

Thanks again!

13. Bruticon

News Credits:
    I've only had one that had issue but I think that I may have got the part too hot. I have removed stress marks from maybe a dozen or so toys so I'm no expert maybe it has to do with the type or color of the plastic.

14. Bruticon

News Credits:
    Glad to read that you were sucessful

15. flamepanther

Hey, great news for anyone who is nervous about taking a flame or a heat gun to their toys! I just got rid of the stress marks around an RotF Bludgeon's wrist pin by holding it in boiling water (using tongs, of course). One more technique to add to the arsenal!

EDIT: I tried it on my factory-abused Knight Morpher Commander, to see if this would work on a thicker chunk of stiffer plastic. IT DOES!
    Some areas of the plastic turned slightly milky. Some gentle buffing with a soft cloth cleared this up immediately.

16. keltic121

keltic121 Member

Boiling water worked for me with a stress mark on a leg clip for my g1 jetfire. I had to boil it anyway to straighten it since it wouldn't clip in it was so badly bent. But the boiling water did turn the plastic pink, I'm not sure why as this has worked for my motu toys with no problems. Any one know why that happend and how I can try and turn it back to red?

Thanks Eric

17. whoamidri

whoamidri Mumbling Madman

Ive used a lighter before buyt be careful

18. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    Sorry for bumping a old tread.

Does making the stress marks disapear fix the issue or is it only cosmetick

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I tell you guys what would be great: a photo tutorial. If only there were a place to stick it when it was finished....

:D 

20. Calabask

Calabask Waspinator Cultist

News Credits:
    Like a custom section.. For arts and crafty types. ...It could even have a rad name..!