How To Revive The Guitar Hero Franchise - Very Long Post

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Joe Moore, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Now I know that the franchise is far from dead, but Rock Band has layed the smack down on GH3 this year and GH responded with a limp wristed Aerosmith game. My biggest peeve with GH is the "career" mode. It's uber-lame and needs some major refining. so here are my proposals.

Scrap the mode as it is. It sucks and is pretty pointless. Replace it with the following modes.

Career - Single, Co-Op
    The career mode would consist of creating your own band and following them from nobodies to superstars. You could create each member, or use pre-existing templates for each member. After creating all the members, except for the guitar player, you would be prompted with a "Try-Out" option. The "Try-Out" would consist of a practice mode with various guitarists trying to make your band. You would advance with each skill practiced, but the guitarist would be rejected each time. On the last "try-out" you would be prompted to create a guitarist (or use an existing template). Complete the "try-out" and your created guitarist would be accepted into the band. If you choose to skip the Try-Out, you would just be prompted to create a guitarist for the band. This process would be repeated for a bassist in Co-Op mode.

Once you have a band, you would begin your career. Career would be broken down into these "stages". Local Cover Band, Signed Artist, Rising Star, Superstar, Legend. You would start out as local cover band playing gigs at bars, dances, events, etc. Each gig would earn you fans and cash. The more fans you get, the quicker you rise in the ranks. Cash allows you to buy stuff like instruments, outfits, etc. The user would always be in control of the gigs they play. Play a bad gig at a crummy location, get low scores in your songs, or get booed off the stage and you can lose fans. After getting enough fan support, you would be invited to a radio station sponsored "Battle of the Bands", with the winning band getting a record contract. Your selected difficulty level would determine the required percentage of notes hit to win the battle (Easy 85%, Medium 90%, Hard 95%, Expert 100%).

Once signed, you move onto the next stage, which is "Signed Band". Here your band would need to record an album and then play a set number of tour spots to build their fan base. The tour spots would be pre-determined in this stage and mostly small to medium venues. Once enough fan support is gained, you are invited to open the concert for a huge name band. Do a successful opening gig, and the "Encore" song would be playing a song with the headlining band. Successfully complete the encore and you move onto the next stage.

The "Rising Star" stage would be similar to "Signed Band". You record an album and then tour. Except now you can pick where you tour. Added replay value by having more tours available than are required to move on to the next stage. The last concert in this stage would be a co-headline with a big-name band where every song played is played along side the big name band. Complete to move on.

The "Superstar" stage opens up world tours. These are huge venue events. On this set of tours, you are given the option to headline various television shows. Think shows like SNL or charity concerts. The last concert is filmed ala a documentary. Complete to move onto "Legend".

Once you become a "Legend" it opens up various tour locations. Have these be licensed venues in shows featuring all the bands you played with throughout the game. The final concert is a battle of the bands again, this time between all the major bands.

This mode could be extended via DLC opening new songs, venues and even achievements.

Documentary Mode - Single
    This mode would become available after unlocking the big-name bands in the game. You could choose any of the bands, and play concerts that are recorded for a documentary about the band. Each venue would be based on a defining moment fro mthe bands history, featuring songs from various eras of the bands life. Completing this mode would unlock songs and venues for your career mode.

Make A Music Video
    In this mode, you pick a venue, pick a song and pick a band. you then play and record the song of your choice. Once completed, you can then direct a video based on the song you picked. You control every thing from cameras, to pyrotechnics, to crowd reactions and even band member placements. You could share your finished videos through XBox Live or the PSN.

Quick Play - Single, Co-Op, Versus
    Same as the existing Quick Play options.

Design A Stage
    Create a stage set design that can be used in any mode.

Another feature that would stand out about the game is the ability to upload custom face plates for your guitars.

2. dak

dak <b><font color=blue>I am DAK! The customizer!</fon

News Credits:
    I like these ideas!!!

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I'd agree, but sales suggest that it needs anything but reviving.

Maybe after the Aerosmith edition.

4. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Well it was more about reviving the excitement rather than the sales. GH is always goign to sell. It's the new Madden.

I was going for something akin to how Burnout Paradise reinvented the Burnout franchise, even if many felt it really didn't need it. But they took a huge departure and made a much more expansive game.

5. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like all your ideas, and I think it would make it feel like a much more solid game rather then a party gimmick. But as you said, it's the new Madden, where you're lucky to get a new texture map for grass since EA has learned that programs have copy/paste tools, and people will pay them another $60 for them to use it.

6. McBradders

I agree, but to be honest, more than anything else it's the setlist that gets me more excited than anything else. And Neversoft really aren't the people to be expanding anything.

Tony Hawk. Never forget :( 

7. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Good ideas but I'd wait till the series "jumped the shark" before I'd do any major shakeups.

8. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Oh I agree 110%. This was more of an idea dump as it's been sitting in my pea brain for a few days after I realized how bored I was with GH3. And I haven't picked it up in over a month.

9. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    [​IMG]

:p 

10. McBradders

Two little words, my friend.

Rock.

Band.

:lol 

SO TRUE!

11. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  12. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I've never played it other than half a song at wal-mart.

13. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I can seriously see this happening.
    Ninja Gaiden is going to implement a feature like this -so why not Guitar Hero or Rockband?

I can picture the videos being all over the YouTube.
    Then, MTV will pretend like they actually have their fingers on the pulse of pop culture and will start showing the Rock Band\Guitar Hero user generated content as well.

Of course, they'll truncate the videos to between 45 and 90 seconds and will have people talking over them the entire time.

Joe, is your Xbox working\repaired?

14. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Not yet. Haven't had time to check it and see if it has red ringed or if it's still the video card. Hopefully tonight I can make sure and fill out the form and send the thing in.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Those sound great, especially the Documentary and Music Video ideas. You get that on PSN and Live and share them with people, and the best videos get highlighted as downloadables through the stores.

I would suggest writing the companies and sending them the ideas, but the response letter will be something like this.

"We appreciate your continued interest in guitar hero, and your ideas are always welcomed. Unfortunately for legal purposes, we cannot take ideas from outside sources, because we're dicks"

16. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's great. It's like if Guitar Hero didn't suck after II, and decided to get awesome.

17. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I wholly regret picking GH3 over Rock Band. It was my first foray into music gaming. :(  One day I'll pick it up though.

18. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Rock Band always seemed to me the natural evolution of Guitar Hero, the place the series was always meant to go. But, with Activision at the helm now, they've chosen to run with the formula until it no longer proves profitable.

'Exploit' their Intellectual Properties, isn't that what they said when Vivendi purchased them?

19. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    The only way to perfect Rock Band IMHO, would be to include a keyboard next 'round. And online Battle of Bands options, like tournaments and shit where your band and a bunch of other bands...battle.
    DN

20. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Is Rock Band not connected to Guitar Hero? I mean, are they not from the same company?