Customs: How to restore a G1 Ravage?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Nefud, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

I'm trying make my G1 Ravage as good as new, if not better. I've managed to sandpaper (320 grit) the legs back to shiny brightness, and I've ordered the sticker kit from Reprolabels.com (has anyone used these before?). The most common question is still the one I can't figure out-- is there any way to tighten up those legs and feet? I tried a little clear nail polish but the results were negligable.

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I can't remember exactly how he's assembled, but I think it was a hollow pin....if you can pound the ends with a screwdriver and hammer gently, that should work.

3. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

They thanks for the advice. I enjoy your comics ALMOST as much as your signature. :D 

To clarify, do you mean the big round metal circles on his "non-tape" side? Tap those with a hammer?

4. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've used Reprolabesl for a lot of things, including one of the autobot tape (either Eject or Rewind, I forget which is which). They're great. Not sure about the Ravage set specifically, but I'm sure it'll be as good as everything else.

Um.. that'll get the pins out, how is that supposed to tighten it? Do you mean put clean polish around the pin?

5. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    No, what I mean is, the pin has two heads on it, like this ||====||

If the heads are flattened out more, they should grip better.

I guess to make it really work well, you'd need to block the other side of the pin when tapping on the opposite side, to make sure it expands well.

6. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

So would you recommend tapping from the "cat" side (no printing) or the "tape" side (printing)?

7. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'd tap on the no printing side, or whichever side the pin is "splayed" out on.

8. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Nefud, there's a tutorial on tfmaster.com about removing and moving pins. I don't know if it'll apply well to the older, '84-'86 Hasbro plastic, but it might help give you the details you need in regards to removing pins:

http://www.tfmaster.com/articles_pin.php

9. zuffyprime

zuffyprime It's not easy being green

Not sure how to tighten the joints on ravage (common problem on almost all vintage ravages) but I've used reprolabels on tons of my transformers, and they're simply amazing. I can't even begin to describe the difference they make in the look of the toy, it is truely the next best thing to getting one in mint condition. New stickers take years off the look of your transformer, and give it that brand new feeling. So you won't go wrong on the sticker portion =)

10. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

I bought some from Reprolabels in the first few months they were out and they were just awful. The top coat of gloss flaked off, they were think and didn't stick to curved areas....I assume they've improved their recipie, but my G1 Megatron is covered in some seriously awful stickers.