Customs: How to remove the flat head pins???

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Jedi_Master_Ben, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Jedi_Master_Ben

Jedi_Master_Ben Well-Known Member

Hey Everyone,

I have a question for you all. As I am dismantling my Concept Bumblebee, I have run into a problem I need some help with. on certain parts, they are being held in place with some sort of flat head pin kind of like a nail, but with barbs at the end. And for the weels and the fender pieces, in fact the seem to all over the place. If any of you have any ideas on how to get these things out without any major damage to the figure (I could always cut and rescultp the areas with wax before casting, but I rather use that as a last resort) I would be very appriciated for you inputs.

Thanks,

Jedi_Master_Ben

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I've always been told that heating the pin with a soldering iron and then pulling will get it out, but I've never tried it.

3. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    You're casting 08 Bumblebee!?

I love you. I'll take a white one and a black one and a blue one, for now...

As for the flathead pins: use a soldering iron on the pinhead (careful to keep it away from the surrounding plastic!) for about 20 seconds. Then (with gloves), yank the wheel (or part) that the pin held in place. The plastic should've been soft enough from the surrounding heat to come up over the pin. Then, reapply the iron for another couple of seconds, grab your needlenose pliers, and yank that bad boy out.

There's a step-by-step tutorial with photos over at TFMaster.com.

4. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You have to soften the plastic by either heating the pin like MMM said or using a heat gun and soften the plastic. Just be real careful.

5. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Wait, you actually heat the pin so it heats the plastic and pulls off AROUND the pin? That doesn't sound good - wouldn't that mess the part up badly?

I always thought it meant that the pin would heat up down to the base, and pull out of the plastic easier.

6. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The pin gets hot so the plastic gets flexible and will allow the tip to pass through. Makes a big mess, it's fixable. Unless you want to cut the head off and then wield/solder it back on later thats really your only option..

7. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Try using a strong magnet to pull the pin with after heating it.

8. Jedi_Master_Ben

Thanks everyone, I knew I came to the right place for this. I found the link (http://tfmaster.com/articles_pin.php) and I will be giving it a try later on today. Thanks, I will keep you all posted on the developments.

As for casting, the orginal purpose of this project is to cast these parts with hydrospan so I can double the size of him (for the 1/18th scale project). Since I will not be needing the molds of the current size after I get my hydrospan copy, I will see if GTG wants the molds and run a few copies in different colors.

Thanks again everyone, you all ROCK!!!!!

Jedi_Master_Ben

9. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Is Hydrospan good for casting many intricate parts like this where exact tolerances are required?

10. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    This works great! I was worried at first, but have not had a problem since using this technique (except for the odd slip of the soldering iron... poor Jazz).

11. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    :lolol 

Pics!!

12. Jukebox Prime

Jukebox Prime Musi-Con

Hydrospan? I don't know what you're talking about, but if I'm guessing correctly, this sounds AWESOME!:D 

Edit:
    Holy crap! Just google'd it, and it IS AWESOME!

13. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just read up on it and it looks amazing, but their is one question. When it is submerged into water for the expanding and after it is done, do you then make another mold of the now enlarged object? Sounds like a lot of work, but I still cannot wait to see the end product.

Edit* I am really tempted to try and make a leader class Blackout.

14. Jedi_Master_Ben

One of the guys over at GTG (JFAK, who kit bash an awesome Ironhide Hiss tank at 1/18th scale, check out this link:http://goodtogocustoms.com/forum/index.php?topic=3468.0) uses both types, Hydrospan to increase the size and Hydroshrink to reduce the size of a casted part. He has been given me some tips. Yeah, I know it is a lot of work and matterials to get this going, but man, seeing that Ironhide Hiss tank and possing my Scarlet with Arcee, has got me really excited to get this done. Plus, the benifit of doing Bumblebee in the scale now, I can also have a 1/18th scale Cliffjumper, seeing that Hasbro is comming out with him early next year. If this goes well (and it should) the next piece I think that would look good in the diorama would be Swindle as drones to be taken down by our heroes. This way I can get more out of the mold than just one bad guy.

I do not have a Blackout as well as many of the other newer ones yet, but it did bother me that scales seem to be way off. I thought Bonecrusher should be in the leader class so to match Primes hight for that fight scene from the movie. Alot of the deluxe Decepticons would benifit by having them "grown" to more of a correct scale (about 1/30ish). I would hold off untill Toyfair '08 to see if there are any other Leader class figures underdevelopment before chucking out $80 to $100 in supplies to do a project like that.

15. Jedi_Master_Ben

Just a quick update, I have Bumblebee totally disassembled. Now off to prep for building mold frames and gathering other supplies.

Thanks again for the help on this.

Ben

16. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    I would love to see a pic of that