Customs: How to remove screws with stripped head?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by metallichemist, Sep 24, 2009.

1. metallichemist

metallichemist Well-Known Member

Hi guys, I have a question about how you would remove screws with stripped head, especially those really small ones like onthe arm or legs of deluxe class transformers toys. Thanks!

2. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    first try using a smaller phillips head screwdriver. If that does not work then use a regular screwdriver whos head is the exact size to just fit in. That usually does the trick.

3. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

try a range of different screwdrivers first, one may bite. you can probably give the screwdriver a *gentle* tap with a hammer. if the screw's head will take it, i'd drill a small hole in the center of the head and hammer a (ickle watchmaker's in this case?) screwdriver into the hole. this is kinda a 1-way-only procedure obviously so try the softly-softly approach before you risk making more of a mess.

if that doesn't work and it's not countersunk you can drill the head off (from the edges into the center trying to leave part of the shaft exposed so you can grab it with a pair of needle nose pliars. if the screw is countersunk this becomes a real pita.

i shouldn't imagine you can brace the screw in such a way as to use an impact driver without smashing the toy up? bare in mind that my stripped-head removal skills are largely from fixing my mx bike so god knows if they'll apply quite so well to transformers. :S