Customs: How to Remove Scratches From Clear Plastic?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Sound Blaster, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Sound Blaster

Sound Blaster Shattered Glass World

I am re-doing a G1 Soundwave and I had to sand a little bit of his chest door and it came out scratched.

I have searched online and found things that cost $30 or more but I am not going to spend that kind of money.

Is their a more feasible way to repair this?

Thanks!

:thumb 

I want it to look as close to being clear again as possible.

2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

You can get some higher grit sand paper and try to buff out the scratch and then use future floor polish.

That is about the only thing I can think of... or find another junk soundwave to fix the door.

3. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I found a bottle of Clear Plastic Restorer listed online for $12 and under. Too much?

If so, try this: Removing Scratches From iPod Nano Tutorial

If you don't have the equipment, here's a quote from the article:

"What to do if you don't have the equipment, or the idea just makes you nervous: Find a jeweler or a watchmaker. A friend who makes jewelry taught me how to polish plastic, by buffing out the face on a wristwatch. If you know someone who makes jewelry, they can probably show you how to do this, and probably have a very good polishing wheel to do it with."

Other than using some type of clear plastic restoring agent or buffing the scratches out by hand, the only other solution is to replace the damaged piece. The latter is probably the only way to get it to look like it did before. All methods will cost something.

4. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have heard people dip clear plastic parts in Future Floor Polish and it gets scratches out and makes it look like new.

5. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    i tired the future, and it destroyed the plastic. I recommend the stuff tim recommends...when I worked at a sign shop, we used that stuff daily for removing scratches from directories in buildings with plastic or plexiglass faces.

6. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Destroyed the plastic? How so? Oh well then, yeah just use a plastic/glass restorer, apple stores are full of the kits for ipods most definitely and ebay has tons of cheap alternatives.

7. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    well, it dries unevenly, some spots were thicker than others...enough to see the waves from where it was thicker/thinner.

8. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    LOL Saying it is destroyed is a bit of a stretch, that could easily be fix/removed, not like it ate the plastic. I can see how that can happen though. I think a light brushing of it just to fill it in and then a small amount of buffing would work great.

9. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    probobly, but you know what I mean, right?
    you can clearly see where the future was thicker in some spots, in the right light, the plastic looks ripply and warped.

for a few bucks, I recommend the compound though, it was made to break up the polymers and refine out the scratches.

10. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah I do. It would probably be best using something for ipods or something, takes out any guess work and mishaps such as yours.

11. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    true dat. though the ipod stuff might be expensive just cause apple is a company built on selling things for too much because they are "cool"

(f you steve jobs)

speaking of which, I mistakenly bought an nano...then zune came out. what a mistake not buying zune...

12. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    LOL You fall on deaf ears here*Continues Typing on MacBook Pro* LOL

I whole heartedly agree on the price gouge though, there are plenty of generic cleaners among other things available. *sees iPhone got a message*LOL

13. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    tony you sellout. you realize for the amount you spend on that macbook (which I somehow have one of also) you could have bought like 3 sony laptops, which would have 2x the processor speed and hard drive size? and let's not forget about that awesome software, or lack of...how's this page looking with safari? lol safari...

14. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have had my fare share of laptops(Sold my kick ass Sony Laptop for this and I never looked back) and this Harddrive(250) and Ram(4G) do me just fine and I have not had a single problem with anything(Had trouble with all my others right from the start). LOL AND I use Firefox, screw Safari.

Lets take this to the The Scorch Pit! LOL J/K

15. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

ok i have done this before. lol . you sanded it down now you want it clear again? well depending on what sandpaper you used first will depend on the grit you use next. say you used 120 next one maybe 220 or 400 you want to go through most of the grits until 1200 grit then use future. furure will restore scratches ,but not deep scratches so it needs to be smooth like with at least 600 or 1200 grit. really you could buy fine enough grit to restore without future but it gets hard to find after 2000 grit.
    oh WET SAND use water with the paper buy wet dri sandpaper preferable 3m

16. timshinn73

Ebay:
    I love my Macs. I've used them exclusively for the past 13 years. My wife and I currently have a G5 (my G4 lasted almost 5 years), Macbook and an iPod. In the 13 years I've bought their products, I've had a bare minimum of trouble. My wife was able to resell her original Macbook for some nice change when she upgraded to a new one and she only recently had to replace her first generation iPod (lasted nearly 7 years). Since I use my Macs for work, the higher cost isn't as big an issue since it part of running my business. For me, the pros far outweigh the cons.

Why is it if a company is successful, that company is somehow perceived as eeevil? LOL.

17. timshinn73

Ebay:
    Right as rain.

18. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I don't wanna come off as a mac-hater, but how are they are successful? From what I've heard Microsoft's the winner, and I think they've been a bit more successful than Apple. I could never understand why Apple fans are very defensive about their Macs/iPods.

19. timshinn73

Ebay:
    Mr. Jobs is a big boy. He doesn't need me to defend him.

I was just stating that I've had no real problems with any Mac product in the past 13 years.

20. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    future is acryllic, it should never mess with ANY plastic. either you have a bad batch, or it was coincidence.