How to reduce tension in an old toy's ratchet joint?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SemiOmegaPrime, Aug 22, 2012.

1. SemiOmegaPrime

SemiOmegaPrime Well-Known Member

Hi Guys, I was wondering if there is a way to reduce tension in a ratchet joint?

I have an old Star Saber and moving his arm at the shoulder feels like I'm going to break the arm or the main body.

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Is there a screw you can loosen?

3. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I know this will sound crazy, but baby oil. I found a G1 Horribull with an intact hinge on the beast head. It was crazy tight though and I just KNEW it would break on the first transform. So I wasn't going to buy it. The lady that worked at this comic shop said baby oil would fix it. So she poured a little bit on the hinge, and slowly worked the head back and forth as far as it would go easily. After a minute or so, the head moves back and forth with no problems, even to this day ( I bought it after she did this ).

4. SemiOmegaPrime

SemiOmegaPrime Well-Known Member

Just an update, I found a post on the 'Hercules "fixes" Megatread' and found mention of Tamiya Molybdenum Grease, and from what I've gathered it was safe on plastics. I tried it on my Star Saber's ratchet joins and it dramatically alleviated the problem.

The ratcheting still works and has sufficient tension but not to the point I was using excessive force on a 24 year old toy!

5. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Yeah, sometimes ratchet joints just need a new coating of lube. Baby oil works, but it isn't permanent. That grease, as pointed out above, works best as a more long term fix as it's the same stuff that's applied at the factory.

6. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

is babyoil safe to use on the plastics? being a petroleum by-product and all.

edit - never mind, i'm an idiot, baby oil came in plastic bottles.

7. SG Unicron

SG Unicron Well-Known Member

This question is gonna sound like the question of a complete idiot (which it is), but does this solution work for modern toys? Since all the ones mentioned aren't, I was unsure if I could use this to fix my Armada Unicron's loose knee. (It probably can and I'm just being stupid asking this dumb question)