Heavy/Scratch: How to: Panel line

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Wikkid, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Wikkid

Wikkid Semi-retired customizer

[​IMG]
    ^^Panel lines can really add detail to a scratchbuilt project. They're easy to do so long as you're patient and steady. Here's how I do it.
    [​IMG]
    ^^When working around a project such as ringing the entire nose of this plane, it's best to tape it out first.

[​IMG]
    ^^Grab a straight edge and a pick for this project. These little picks come in a package of 4 for around $10 and offers different angles and sizes.

[​IMG]
    ^^Tape doesn't make for a very solid backing so use the straight edge to keep your scribe line from wandering. You need only etch the surface and only do the flat, straight areas.

[​IMG]
    ^^Here it is with the tape removed. Notice the corner aren't done.

[​IMG]
    ^^Now you need a steady hand. Tape each edge individually and connect one line to the other. Carefully etch the connecting lines.

[​IMG]
    ^^Remove the tape and sand the areas. Etching will create a raised edge on each side of the panel line that you need to cut down. Use your pick to clean out the channel for final inspection.

[​IMG]
    ^^Once you get all your obvious panel lines done and are not sure where to go next, it doesn't hurt to sketch out some ideas.

Attached Files:

2. Wikkid

Wikkid Semi-retired customizer

[​IMG]
    ^^Maybe something like this????.......

[​IMG]
    ^^possibly circles????......

[​IMG]
    ^^Circles it is, but I want them along the lower end of the nose. I start by drawing out a line parallel to the bottom of the nose.

[​IMG]
    ^^Laying down a straight edge, I begin mapping out my ports...........

[​IMG]
    ^^......and space them evenly.

[​IMG]
    ^^Like so.

[​IMG]
    ^^Now grab your drill and a bit in the size you want.

[​IMG]
    ^^You don't want to drill through the surface, just allow it to score the surface.

[​IMG]
    ^^Panel line all your other panels until you're good and happy with em. That's it.

3. Jbarb78

Jbarb78 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Nice, I use the same techniques. I tend to lean toward a pinvise or just holding the drill bit with my fingers, the trigger in my old Dewalt isn't quite as sensitive as it used to be, went right through the part a couple times.

4. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    This is great, good for you for sharing! May I add a tip or two?

• Buy a couple cheap hacksaw blades with different teeth per inch (tpi). They make awesome templates for making perfectly spaced rivets! Just start with one groove (in between two teeth) and choose a number, say five grooves. Then every five grooves make your next rivet hole (using the same circle techniques Wikkid shows). Easy as pie perfect rivet etches.
    • Tamiya makes a few panel lining templates with some nice "techy" details, and the kit includes a really nice scribing tool.
    • Those surplus dental tool sets make great scribing tools too, and you tend to get 4-5 per set with differing tip angles and orientations to aid in hard to reach areas.

5. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    Very helpful and descriptive, this is great stuff Wikkid. Another helpful tip, I also use an old exacto blade I dremeled a "L" shaped hook into the end, makes for a great scribe.

Oh, and I can't wait to see that bad boy finished!

6. xaviercal

xaviercal Customizer/ Store Owner

thank you Wikkid always an inspiration to see your work!

7. bellyboy

bellyboy working working working

News Credits:
    another one ? two treats in the same day

:) 

8. DMcB360

DMcB360 Radicon G2

again, much aprechiated. always need more advanced cosmetic techniques.