Customs: How to paint without streaking.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by tb-1599, Mar 5, 2012.

1. tb-1599

tb-1599 Well-Known Member

So after painting my Powerizer Megatron. I decided to tackle my RID Optimus Prime and I found out real quick it wouldn't be that easy. I decided with Testors Red Metalic. After my first couple of parts I noticed really bad streaking. So I striped of the parts with paint thinner and washed them with soap and water. How can I paint these pieces and minimize streaking? (an air brush is not an option for me at this time). Maby next pay day.

2. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

Testors is acryllic paint? Acryllic paints can be thinned with water. Thin the paint with water and this will apply thinner coats for you, when they dry they'll do so even as the paint is more fluid and will level out better. You'll need to put more coats of the thinned paint on it, but with it thinned down it should come up smoother. When applying these coats, take your time and allow each coat to dry before applying the next. Equally, if it's an enamel paint, enamel thinner will do the job.

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Acrylic paints can also be thinned with Future floor polish. Future is self-leveling as well, and will drastically reduce brushstrokes.

4. tb-1599

yea it is Enamel now how much thinner should I use?? I dont want to thin out my whole bottle? Also I do plan on getting an airbrush. I can get the hand unit for about 25.00 and the wife can get a compressor for me from work. Can Enamel paints be used in an airbrush?

5. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Yes, they can be used but cleanup is a bit harder. Most people say to thin it to the consistency of milk. I just thin it until a drop falls off of a toothpick quickly. It seems like the paint might be too thin, or that it's taking too long to get a good coat down, but that's what you want.

You didn't mention a primer coat. At the risk of being too simplistic - are you using a primer? Everyone has their favorite, and I like using Tamiya's spray primers - it makes getting the first coat down a lot easier and smoother.

6. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    i have had great results on small sections of just using the paint and going back with a very small brush and brushing thinner over the painted area. helps to even out brush strokes

7. tb-1599

no I wasnt really thinking about using a primer. I have used primers for other projects. But I thought with Enamels you didnt really need it..

8. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

enamels are tougher true, but primer helps with adhesion to the plastic

9. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Allen beat me to the punch! lol

I do this with my acrylic paints when I hand brush anything. Trust me when I say it can work wonders on stubborn colors like red.

Also, a primer always helps, though you don't always need it (for acrylics or enamels). The most important tip of all (beyond the obvious "thinning" aspect), is to paint very thin coats as mentioned earlier. Allow each thin coat to dry before applying another. It may take a while, but the end result is always worth it.

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    When I use enamels on the rare occasion, I certainly don't thin down the whole bottle! What I do is I have both my paint and my thinner bottles open and a piece of paper to test paint out on as a palette. I dip my brush into the thinner and then into paint. The well of paint is on my palette, not in either bottle. I add thinner to the paint to get it to the right consistency, and then I apply it to the figure.