how to pack transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by bumblebee-prime, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bumblebee-prime

bumblebee-prime Elite Guard

i just had an idea, i don't know if anyone's ever covered this or not but here goes... so you know when you crumple a piece of paper into a ball it becomes heavier than when it's flat. well when you mail a transformer in a package, shipping is based on weight, so does it make a difference if you pack the transformer in bot mode, alt mode, or half way. and i know, size is an issue too (like unicron flat bot mode, or planet) but what i mean is if you were to pack a deluxe bumblebee in car mode or robot mode would there be any difference in weight, and there for price? i know if any difference it wouldn't be much but just curious.

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Weight does not work like that.

The piece of paper still has the same mass/weight flat as it does crumpled. It's just not as spread out when crumpled, so it feels heavier.

3. Oberoniss

Oberoniss DOESN'T-EXIST BABBU

News Credits:
    I doubt it. A book is the same weight whether it's open halfway or closed, the same analogy applies to toys as well. The only difference is that having the toy in vehicle mode might make the packaging easier, as you can use a smaller box. Probably doesn't apply to all toys but there's that.

The weight difference in a crumpled piece of paper is that the weight that was formerly distributed everywhere is now forced into a smaller area. It doesn't weigh more, it just seems like it because it takes up a smaller space.

Ninja'd!

4. bumblebee-prime

bumblebee-prime Elite Guard

i know but i was just curious if other than space if it made any difference. as for the paper, i thought it weighed more cause of the change in mass made it more dense making it weigh slightly more?

5. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

all acc in zip lock bag and tape to fig package and wrap fig with accxess in bubble wrap

6. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    It weighs the same any way you configure it. The smaller the box is, (usually) the lower the postage. The added weight comes from more packing materials and more cardboard.

Mass shifting only works on TV (or in the movies).

7. prime roller

prime roller introspective reflector

News Credits:
    I think this was covered in my grade 4 science class!! Please google "very basic physics". As for the shipping cost due to size -- the post office has it's own 'pricing science', so that makes sense according to those rules. However, as for the properties of our physical universe physics, the post office, thankfully, can't change them.

My super power is SCIENCE.

8. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    You fail physics forever.

9. Bruticon

Bruticon The DVJ Moderator

News Credits:
    lol +1

Which weighs more a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers??? But seriously when shipping transformers you want the smallest configuration/box possible to save on shipping cost.

10. Ceric Neesh

Ceric Neesh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Feel free to take offense: You're an idiot. Mass does not change, and unless you're shipping from a post office that's at the top of a mountain, the gravitational constant of 9.8 is still in effect and thus weight does not change. Only size. Which COULD actually make a difference in shipping cost.

11. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well, jokes aside, packing something in alt mode could help make the package as a whole lighter because it'll need less jigging, but yeah.

12. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    For most, it would probably be a little a heavier in vehicle mode, because everything becomes more compressed and compact in vehicle mode whilst everything is more spread out in robot mode.

Although, I should probably be using the word miniscual, rather then little, as the difference would probably only be about 0.0005g, or around that.

13. 2ndSndWve

2ndSndWve Hen... Shin!

News Credits:
    :lolol  win. on topic, it would be less likely to be damaged and easier to pack in alt mode.

14. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Have you read the replies in this thread? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol 

Weight does not change no matter an object's component parts relative to themselves. All the parts are still made of the same mass, that is, they are made of the same physical material, and as such will weigh the same. Only density is increased, and density has nothing to do with weight at all. Only (density x volume) is related to weight (by the acceleration due to gravity), density alone is only related to mass and volume.

Seriously, the OP fails basic physics. While i don't think you're stupid, you have managed to blindly believe someone else without applying a single ounce of common sense to the situation.

15. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    facepalm.jpg

Anyways, I typically package stuff in vehicle mode just because it's more compact, solid and sturdy and therefore less able to bend/snap. There are exceptions to the rule, however!

16. mikenoynoy

mikenoynoy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Most post offices have scales that you can utilize. God Bless.

17. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    The weight will not change for the toy regardless of what mode you pack it in. The weight of the box and the packing material is what you have to factor in. It would make sense that you transform the toy in its smallest mode that can be shipped safely and securely and then find a box that will fit. You can always take it to the post office and use the scale or APC to weigh it and estimate shipping costs. Just remember there may be box size and weight restrictions and carriers may charge more for these.

18. joshua

joshua Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bwahahahaha. This made my day, I'm sorry.

19. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    Basic answer, no. Unless it's a sizable toy then maybe

But on a side note mass and weight are completely different measurements as Valkysas & Co may have lead you to thought otherwise. So in fact the mass of the transformer does not change but the weight can change (not dramatically) depending on the shape of it. If more mass is distributed in one location it can make it weigh more there. Basic physics but it's not a stupid question as it may sound so he's not an idiot as some have called him. The only idiot is someone who calls someone an idiot without doing any simple research first.

transformerwars is 100% correct with his reasoning.

20. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    Just a simple test everyone can do at home go stand on the scales with yr feet positioned in different locations on that scale. You will see that your weight does actually change just by putting your feet in different locations. That's cause you have mass distributed differently. I have seen it myself loads of times. standing feet together and then putting your feet on the edge of the scales can actually add a few kilos. Same concept can apply for packaging a toy. I've ranted enough about physics LOL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.