How to pack loose figures?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    So I was wondering, what is the best way to pack loose figures? They will be stored in my basement, which has a pretty stable temperature, even though it is not temperature controlled.

What I was thinking of doing is:
    - Transform them into Alt mode
    - Wrap them in Bounty
    - Put them in indivudaul zip lock bags

So I wanted to ask, what could go wrong with this plan? I mean, you never realize how much work this hobby is, until you get into all the nitty gritty.

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I wrap them in bubble wrap. Zip-lock bags are alright for preventing scratches and lost parts, but it doesn't protect against shocks that could chip the paint..

3. Rewind

Rewind Space Hipster

News Credits:
    Toss in a couple of silica packets if you are storing them in a humid environment.

4. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well generally, I'll go like this after I've made/found & reinforced the box.

- change to alt mode if not already in
    - wrap in cleenex
    - Wrap in bubblewrap, usually with separate cushioning, the amount & placement depends on the toy
    - tape to hold shit together, can't forget tape
    - tape packing peanuts around for added support
    - wrap in plastic & or zip lock bag, and tape bag around

Shit with wings can be more troublesome & need more creative jigging, but that's usually pretty good for what I've sent, and most things I pack like that could probably get thrown against a wall & not break. After that, I put em into the box & cushion the space between the toy & box with ruffled up news paper, as to leave a reasonable crush zone, but without there being self movement. I've used fill air bags & whatnot before, but I don't always have access to those & they're mainly useful for really large things as jigging, so they'll only get used when needed/when I have em.

Addys get taped on, all holes/parts where cardboard meets cardboard get sealed, no bare paper from the addys gets exposed, and then I'm pretty much done as far as packing is concerned because shit's basically waterproof to a degree & should hold up in cases not involving being ran over by a truck.

... so yeah, sending stuff boxed/carded is quite a bit easier hah.

Edit - No, I'm not crazy. I just haven't slept & read this thread as asking how we pack loose shit to send to people, not store haha.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  5. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I typically put loose toys together in large ziplocks to seal them. Then I put them into a storage container in the garage. That way, if I want to pull them out to mess with or display, they are pretty readily accessible. I've found that this works fairly well for me. I suppose if I were putting something into long term storage I might try some of the bubble wrap or something, but I don't typically do that.

6. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    I transform into alt mode and package into ziplock bags with all accessories and instructions, then I put in bubblewrap around that and other packing materials. That's always carried me through.

7. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Right there dude. I USED to get all crazy with storing them, but then I would say "man..I really wanna dig out X and mess with it. Then I have to FEEL each one..nope..thats not it..tear one..nope thats not it..

PISS ON IT

I just put em in a sandwich bag, and keep it next to one of those dry out things and im good with that.

8. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    I wouldn't really use Ziploc bags. They aren't designed for this sort of thing at all, and could lead to your figures getting ruined.

One Per Case: PSA: How to Store Action Figures Like a Boss

9. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good find Roufuss. Seeing as half my collection is residing in a ziplock bag at this very moment, I'm slightly freaking out. Only a little though. Looked at those bags that guy recommended. Only problem is minimum order of 1000 bags. They're not that expensive, but I would need all different kinds of sizes.

10. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I don't go to too much trouble over it. The most I do is set them gently into a storage container. It's not like they're going to get crushed or anything.

11. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Transform & Bamboo out

Bubble wrap them individually in alt mode.

12. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Well, I wouldn't recommend those bags for *all* figures (personally, I've never used them.)

I think for some of the rarer, harder-to-find or expensive figures, an option like that is definitely something to look into.

I think just wrapping your figures in bubble wrap and gently placing them in a storage container would work. For accessories and weapons and stuff, I have a little plastic storage unit with shelves that I store all the accessories in that the figures aren't currently using.

But yea, if you're storing your stuff in ziploc bags, just know it's not an ideal long-term solution at all; put yourself in the shoes of the author I quoted, where you open up your storage units and all your Transformers are ruined.

13. AMG

AMG Old School

I always transform them in alt mode and store them in large plastic bins. I layer the TFs between cloth (pillow cases/shirts/etc).

14. RatTrap1985

RatTrap1985 Under your rolls of fat

i've heard this about comic books as well. I've had some comics in bags that have acid in them and I have not seen any adverse reactions. I do buy the acid free bags now, but I never changed the old bags out.

15. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would do the following:

1. Transform them into their alternate modes as most TFs seems more compact in that mode
    2. Bubble wrap them
    3. Put the weapons in zip lock bags & bubble wrap them
    4. Put them inside storage box of your choice

16. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    All the things mentioned are good but there is one more step, put the lot in a large plastic tub. I learned this the hard way. When there is a flood or broken pipe etc the container needs to float. No amount of ziplock bags alone will stop water getting in if submerged.

17. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    yup, pretty much the same way I keep my loose figs too. :D 

18. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It depends on the figures for me. For the more recent stuff (Energon and forward) I just lay them all gently in a tub and that's it. If the tub isn't being moved around much (not being driven mainly) it should be fine. Older stuff (G1, some BW with the chrome paint) I'll either put down a layer of bubble wrap, a layer of toys, then another layer of bubble wrap, and so on. Or the same basic thing with packing peanuts.

Alt mode is generally idea regardless since it's more compact and there's usually less bits sticking out.

19. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    Thanks Roufuss!

Where was this article when I posted this thread a while back?

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/380963-figure-storage-ziploc-baggies-safe.html

Would've been useful information that's for sure.

All of my loose figures are coming out of the Ziploc baggies this weekend after reading that.

Thing is, I don't know how to store them in the plastic rubbermaid tubs that they're in without the Ziploc bags.

Any suggestions out there?

20. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is exactly what I do and I haven't had any problems after 8 years of using this method.