Customs: How to not get discouraged

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Satomiblood, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I have to say that I've tried to customize a few things, only to get discouraged at the end. My Ultra Magnus repaint into Powered Convoy for starters. There's also the Cybertron Menasor that just can't seem to get off the ground.

I don't want to say that I'll never revisit these projects, but as a customizer, how many side projects do you have? Is it healthy to have something else lined up when you can't get finish another. Because quite honestly, the Menasor project is boring me a little. It started out fun, but perhaps I should just box him up and start on something new.

Like (A) that Battletrap idea I posted 2 days ago or (B) that Universe Red Alert using the Sunstreaker/Sideswipe mold.

Tell me of your past and recent frustrations.

2. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    I can't speak as a customiser, but i work as an artist, and i also do artwork for bands; sleeve, flyers, posters, etc. I can be working on something and feel it's not quite right, but if i can't figure out what's wrong there and then, that can get frustrating - and if i've got a lot of work on, time can suddenly disappear really quickly.

I find the best thing to do is then to put that "problem piece" to one side, and work on something else that I really want to work on right then. Usually I then find I get a new idea, or better way for doing something else. So, no time is wasted festering over the problem, and when I go back to it I'm still enjoying it, because I've solved whatever issue I had before.

I reckon this applies to most creative outlets. Having a couple of things on the go is never a bad idea, if only because working on something you're enjoying is bound to spark other ideas, and solutions to problems you may have run into on something else.

The only caution I'd add, is, don't fall into the trap of just not finishing things because you always move on when something isn't right - do know when to persist with something, but recognise when you need to take a break from it.

Hope that helps - it sounds hokey, but if you have a talent and use it, the worst critic you'll ever find is yourself. But don't discourage yourself! Take a break, or maybe just do something else completely different for a bit, whether it 's for an hour or for a day.

3. Satomiblood

Yea, I think I will move on to something else. I might try painting that Ultra Magnus again. I looked at some pictures I took and the paint apps were better than I remembered. I kept thinking I was terrible with a brush.

4. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Buddy, I'm the poster child for starting a project before finishing the one that came before it. Sometimes you have to get your brain off an idea when you get in a funk. It's actually healthy, It lets you concentrate on something else which in turn rejuvenates your creative processes. Then when you return to the old project with a fresh mind, you can usually break through the wall you came up against. It is not unusual for me to have 5-6 projects in "rotation". It keeps me from burning out on a particular project, and ideas from one may enhance another. Patience is the real key. Don't let a snag bog you down, take your time and think the problem through, in all directions. It IS a hobby, if it's lucrative, great. If not, it should still be a FUN experience and relaxing but challenging at the same time, so don't get discouraged!! Just my :2c:  :thumbs2: 

5. chlokai

chlokai Well-Known Member

i have just started g1 articulated slag,

things i have started but still need finished are,

jump starters and cosmos from 3 movie long veiws, classic shockwave, grimlock, the seacons, classic tracks, reflector from 3 movie spyshots and a copy of ptivites devastator and devil z or leige maximo (can't decide who to make SW darth vader into).

the list of customs i want to make gets bigger almost everytime i see a transformer.

my biggest problem is getting ideas while waiting for parts or bots to arrive. although it takes me longer to finish a custom this way i find it quite good to have a few projects so it doesn't get boring or if you are waiting for somthing to arrive you have another project to keep you occupied while waiting.

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    it sounds to me like you're simply being entirely too hard on yourself. You're better than you think you are, and as a result you feel you're wasting your time on whatever piece you're in the middle of. You can move on to something and come back to it, but if you're not careful, you'll get into a rut of NEVER finishing anything, and that will suck all the fun out of things.

7. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I always have several projects going at once and I find that projects that I rush through, usually don't turn out that nice.

My bigger projects always take longer and I regularly take breaks from them.

I have one project of a scratchbuild I'm working on that I looked back at the date on my original drawing and it was TWO YEARS AGO! I just keep coming back to it and getting it done a little at a time.

Goes back to that saying, "How do you eat an elephant?" "One bite at a time"

8. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    I generally only have 1 WIP at a time. Granted I have about 17 lined up to be bashed
    & 1 Project on hold cuz it's vex'd me for months (F$%*ing Overload :banghead: ).
    I step back from a WIP, if I feel it's "becoming work". Give my brain a chance to chill out.
    I'll plan & digibash future projects & sometimes it gives me a new outlook on my current WIP.
    Art takes time & we can also suffer from "writer block" as it were.
    Don't pack them up, set them aside & hopefully sooner then later you we feel the urge to go back to them

9. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You and me both brother. I think one problem that hasn't been mentioned (and if it has FORGIVE ME), is that sometimes in our excitement, we expect to be done with customs quicker and when they aren't, we get frustrated and impatient. Another problem I personally have is getting discouraged when I try to copy someone with superior skills' work and then can't do it. Like Hank said, it's a hobby, and definitely work on more than one at once. But yeah, it should be FUN first and foremost.

10. Satomiblood

I think I'm just going to take some baby steps. Work my way up before a full on custom. Like a mod or some minor paint detailing.

11. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Honestly, I have about 30 WIPs right now. While I sometimes despise working on the same custom for 3 days in a row, there's part of me that says:

a) it's my job now (in a good way)
    b) when it's done, I can't wait to add it to my portfolio

it's always best to step away from a project, whether it's 5 minutes, 5 days or 5 months. It will give you a clean fresh approach. Many art teachers throughout college practice and preach this. It's amazing when doing an illustration (for example) if you get up, grab lunch, then come back, you'll see an entirely different thing than you saw before.

In some cases, I juggle several projects in the same day. It's best to keep them around the same stage however for me. For example, today - I worked on sculpting several commissions. 2 Video game characters and something else (you'll see this weekend)

It's also great for my to break up the "orders" by throwing in a personal project "free time" such as working on my gestalts or working on my ebay piece of the (bi)week.

12. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    I usually have work to do that I do like and work that I don't like.
    So I usually check my mood for the day before I start anything...
    Good mood = work on stuff I don't like.(that way it gets done)
    "other" mood = work on stuff I like doing.
    If I don't feel like doing anything...I don't.
    BUT, I will sit & stare at WIPs and come up with ideas and THAT is usually gets me in the mood to work on stuff.
    If I'm tired from work or another best friend passes away I usually take a break from it & try again next weekend.
    Oh yeah and drink a Monster energy drink - that will get you going ! :drool: 

13. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    funny you say that TTT. Last night I think I stared at the $@$# knee combine area of Menasor for about 3 hours, thinking of ways to make a good secure attaching rig...my fiance is like "WTH are you doing"...I slept on it, and thought of the solution while sleeping.

Which made me think of Thomas Edison, greatest inventor of our time. I read once that he would use those metal balls (not sure if they are called Zen balls, Tamari Balls, or whatever) but basically, Edison would sit in a comfortable chair, palm of his hand facing towards the floor and would spin those balls around. He would then enter a deep relaxing mode of meditation....so deep he was a hair away from falling asleep. He'd reach maximus mediation just immediately before falling asleep. He kept a large metal bowl under the hand with the balls so that if (in case) he does pass the meditation phase and fall asleep, the balls fall from his hand, into the bowl and make a loud enough noise to wake him back up.

He thought of every invention while using this meditative technique.

Kinda random, but "turning off" the project or problems in your life, sometimes creates breakthroughs.

14. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I've never really gotten discouraged while kitbashing. It's a bit relaxing at times (not always from the fumes, lol). Though it didn't help that some people on the boards seemed to get a bit vocal about my WIP threads. It's a good thing we have an ignore list :D . I've currently got 4 kitbashes in the works (Dirge, Thrust, Prima, and Megatron). When Acid Storm comes out I'll have at least another two that I should be starting. That is if Hasbro doesn't do them for us (which is what I'm hoping for at least one of them).

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I find that if you reach a snag on a piece, you gotta know when it's best to put it down and move on to something else, or to just keep plowing on through. There are pieces that sometimes it's best to put it down and move on for a while. I know that once a bump in the road happens, it can be very difficult to continue on. However, I know that there are pieces that I hit a snag with and I know that it's best to keep on until it's finished.

As for side projects, I like to have things going on if I can. I do only like to have one project on my physical table at a time though. The rest I like to keep in small project bins, labeled with my intentions on them.

16. Satomiblood

How diving into a project head first without planning? Lol. Like a simple repaint or mod.

17. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

i never have a set in stone plan just a color scheme, what if any parts that will be modded and ,a reason for the existence of the character. i don't really like making up my own guys yet.

my biggest snag is i like to start with an original idea however that does not happen often. also i get real discourage when the paint fails the 2nd or 3rd time. by meaning if it bubbles or comes out mismatched or anything that happens to ruin a paint job.

18. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I usually have about 5 or 6 projects running, all in different phases. I found it helps me from rushing one project if I have another that can use a bit of work. It also helps the paint sit longer before I reassemble, and that's always a good thing.

I still do freelance work from my old job (a logo here or there, maybe a newsletter), but I think the same rules apply for all art, despite the medium. Coming back to an old project with a new state of mind or different vision works out pretty well. An example is my PM Prime..I couldn't figure out how to make the larger arms attach in the super mode and I was ready to throw it into a wall! I stopped, worked on my Velocitiron Prime for a day or so, and BAM, it hit me.

One other thing I do to "clear the cobwebs" is to watch cartoons. I've come up with some of my better ideas after an hour or so of Bleach, Ghost In The Shell or Justice League. I've alos stopped being so hard on my stuff and letting you guys be hard on it. Sometimes the feedback you guys give me is a lot more accurate than the little thing I picked up on that no one else even noticed. :thumbs2: 

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I have to say I'm just the opposite. I do a LOT of planning for my work, to the point that most of my customs are just a matter of putting in the physical grunt work of painting and/or modding. This isn't all of my customs, but it's the majority of them. Sure, I can see everything in my mind, but I always like the idea of mapping out my journey. I like having plans and dare I say blueprints, if you will.

I'm certainly not saying that one way is more "right" than the other, as I've done things where I create as I go along. However, I just enjoy the planning process itself many times. It makes it feel as if it's a really big deal to me. Also, part of my work is sort of pretending I work for Hasbro actually designig all of this. :lol 

20. Teletran

Teletran Witty title not included

this has sorta happened to me. but what i usually do is if i see something i like, ill just use the general idea and then do it my own way. im currently working on a classics cosmos, but it wont look exactly like shinobitrons. mostly cause i dont know what those mars kits are hes talking about for the head and thrusters lol so ill just take the paintscheme, modify it a bit (cause its not nice to copy someone elses idea EXACTLY) and make it my own.

ill very rarely plan my projects in advance (unless its something like cosmos up there). the most planning i used to do was scour the web for pics from the bw show cause thats what most of customs were: making the toys look like the show. and since most of my other repaints are outriders, theres nothing to really plan. i just sit down with the bot and paints and see where it goes

it used to be id have a couple things going at a time, but over the years ive just become kinda burnt out on painting so i only do one at a time now (it took me a YEAR to finally do my bw scorponok cause i just couldnt get the motivation to do it. and ive been trying to do the big armada prime for who knows how long now lol)