Customs: How to mount Unicron halves on Omega S

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by solarstorm, Jun 19, 2012.

1. solarstorm

solarstorm Well-Known Member

I'm making a custom Omega Supreme w/ some inspiration from UUser, Scotstream, and others.

The only part I'm struggling with is figuring out how to mount the Unicron Calve/Planet/Missile Launcher pieces onto an Energon Omega Supreme.

Attach at the back or the shoulders? Use minicon pegs and drill holes or is the piece too heavy for that. Same for magnets. Ball joints? Lego bits? I'm at a loss here.

2. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    You may have to scratch build something, can't quite picture which Omega you're talking about (Guesing Energon) or where you're mounting the bit, but it's a lot of weight and it sounds like you're considering a fairly small "foot print" for your connection. Also not sure if you're going for a permenant bond (easier), a weight bearing joint (nigh impossible with the schemes you're thinking about), or a peg-on/peg-off parts-forming affair (moderately doable).

magnets, unless you buy the BIG ones and use several, magnets (even Neodynium ones) aren't going to be up to snuff.

Ball joints, if you use them JUST as a connection point (ideally as a pair/trio/more) might fly.

Lego bits, depends on what bits, and how you configure them, but I'm a bit dubious about that option, plausible, but not likely a great way to go.

Creating your own custom peg-and-hole connection points is often a great option, if you can leverage the native minicon points and only drill new holes, so much the better. That might not be enough though, those pegs are shallow, and if you don't drill the hole just right, you might not get the grip you need. I love using stock rods/dowels (I use acrylic, but you might have more luck with another material), drilling out both parts, and fixing the rod in between, connection point, hinge, permenant bond, you've got choices, and you can set it up however you need.

D/L