How to MAKE Walmart Help You On A Call

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Th0r4z1n3, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ok this started out as a response to another thread, but I figured if I'm gonna give up one of my best secrets for when I'm on the hunt for something it deserves it's own thread. LOL

We've all at one point or another called a Walmart about a particular toy that we're looking for & typically get little to no help (well most of us at least). Well here's how to make them give you the help you want.

The best advise I can give you for calling Walmart about a TF is to tell them you're on a "Store to Store Call" for a customer and act like you an employee at another WM: they have to help you then. Walmart employees get store to store calls on a regular basis so you usually run into minimal resistance. You have to take the time to learn a little bit of their lingo but it's not that hard.

My wife used to work there wayyyy back & this is what we do when I'm trying to hunt something down and don't want to drive all over the state to do it. It's kinda shitty that you have to lie to get somebody to do their JOB but it works.

You may need to know a store number when doing this: don't use the store number of the one you're calling, duh. Try to make it generally about 1/2 hour to an hour's drive away from the one you're calling. If you need to find the store number it can be located on the receipt underneath the store manager's name & phone number. Example: ST#1234

I'm gonna use the example of when I was looking for the Walmart exclusive Masterpiece Starscream:

*ring ring*

WM: Findlay Walmart Super Center how can I help you?

Me: Store to store call for toys

They'll transfer you to toys

Toys: Hello

Me: This is a store to store call for a customer, he's looking for a Transformer. It's a... uhhh... (tilt the phone away from your mouth & act like your talking to the customer) what was it again sir? right (phone back to your mouth) Masterpeice Starscram? He says it's a Red & Grey jet & should be around the $50 price point.

hint: try to act slightly confused like you're not quite sure what the customer is talking about when describing the item

Toys: Hold on let me check

Walmart policy states that they have to go above & beyond what they would normally do for a customer when it's a "store to store" call & they usually do because they don't want a manager from another store calling their boss complaining about them. It's easy to dick off at work when you know the ppl you work with, but a total stranger on the phone that has the power to get you in trouble is another question. That means rather than just quickly glance at the TFs, they will go through each and every one on the shelf to make sure they do or don't have what they are looking for... usually

Toys: Yea we have them

Me (away from the phone): yea, sir, he says they have them over there. *pause*

Me (to the phone): He wants to know how many of them you have in stock, he gonna be coming from Fremont & don't wanna make the drive if it's gonna be gone when he gets there.

At this point he'll either say that they have a ton of them or just a few/one

If they have quite a few:

Me: OK he says he's gonna head over there for it then, thanks

*Hang Up, DO NOT say good bye*

If they only have one or a few:

Me: Ok he's coming from Fremont, it's gonna take him about an hour to get there, can you please hold one for him he's on his way.

Toys: Yes

If they say no: ask for a manager, explain to them them that you're on a store to store call for a customer who is going to be driving about an hour to get there & they WILL hold it for you. This is where you may need the store number, the manager may ask for it.

Me: Where should I tell him to pick it up at?

Toys: They can pick it up at Customer Service, Toy Counter, etc

Me: Thanks

THINGS TO NOTE

1. Make sure you have a store number ready just in case they ask for it, but don't volunteer it.

2. DO NOT use your name

3. DO NOT say good bye when you end the call

4. DO NOT get personal, keep it short and to the point

Social Engineering for Transformers FTW

EDIT:Just a note: I do not do this for every figure I'm looking for, usually just for store exclusive. This should not be abused for every deluxe you are looking for, it can be a pain in the ass for an employee to constantly have to look for figures that are common place. Don't be afraid to get up off your ass and actually look yourself

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  2. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seems like it could be easy to get called on something like this, but it sounds like a nice solution.

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Really?...I have an easier method. I look up the UPC/DCPI before I call and get them to check if the assortment is in stock/in the warehouse/on route. Simple and you don't have to scam anyone.

4. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    dont think that would work for me-voice is currently changing lol

5. Th0r4z1n3

News Credits:
    When I'm out of town for a day on the "hunt" I don't always have the UPC for everything I may be looking for.

This + Goog 411 = A good haul

6. CryoPrime

CryoPrime Cody A.

This seems borderline illegal. :sly2: 

7. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

It's working the system to get them to actually help you. I used to work at Fry's and I'd have to make store-to-store calls from time to time. Funny thing is, I always did the stuff OP mentioned not to do. Fry's probably isn't as professional as WM. :lol 

8. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i once was forced to refill a prescription at an out of town WM and when i asked at the drop off counter for a price, the woman said she would not tell me.
    i called my local WM (i used to work there) and got the price from them.
    but the employee asked why i wanted a price on a refill that wasn't turned in and i told her what happened. I gave her the store location and number and in 10 minutes i was paged to the Pharmacy.
    not only did i have my prescription filled about an hour faster, got an apology from the woman at the counter.

It is NOT borderline illegal to work the system IMO if you are seeking information and not trying to get something for nothing.
    you aren't cheating anyone because you still have to drive to the store you called and still pay for what you get.

Moral: There's always choices/ways around hurdles

9. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Man, how hard is it to drive to a store nowadays?

10. Pikatron

With gas prices as high as they are here in SoCal, I'd like to keep my driving to a minimum.

11. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme supremest of unicrons

News Credits:
    After wave 1 of any given line the UPC will get you diddly squat. This is actually a pretty clever solution. I haven't looked at the phones carefully at the local Walmarts but I think they don't have caller ID which would instantly blow a big hole in this plan.

12. Th0r4z1n3

News Credits:
    Well if other than your local Walmart the nearest ones are a 1/2 an hour to an hour away in different directions... not so easy. Not every WM gets exclusives in FYI. ;) 

I don't think they have caller ID, either that or they don't check it. I've been doing this for exclusives & hard to find figures for the last 2-2 1/2 years & have never had a problem.

13. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    FYI, my store never gets exclusives. In fact my store just got Waspinator and samurai prowl. It's one of the last remaining non-super Walmarts. But what I'm saying is drive to the store. If they don't have it, go next week and so on and so on. Sooner or later, you will find what your looking for.

14. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    What if instead of "good bye" you say "I love you" then hang up?

15. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This seams like a dramatic an over complicated way to shop. I have never and will never call any wal-mart or toyrus to look up or find an item for me. The only thing I will admit to doing is calling and verifying a dpci if the target website says its in stock.

To go through the hassle of lying and following a script just seams like a real headache.

My Walmart shopping strategy consists of this:

See new toy sighting thread on tfw2005.com

Walk in to walmart 30 minutes before they close.

go to toy section

Look at pallets.

A) if transformers are present look at wave number if new wave is present stock case and buy what i need.

or

B) No transformers on pallet, curse and leave store

As somebody who works retail I can say their is nothing absolutely more annoying then people shopping over the phone. We spend all day dealing with lazy people who call and say "what cameras do you carry" or "do you have that new book from that one series". I can think of numerous occasions when I have placed people on hold, helped the customer who got off his but to come shop and then picked up the phone and said "sorry we don't have it."

If you wanna shop from home use ebay, the junkion exchange, BBTS or the store sites

16. Th0r4z1n3

News Credits:
    This is a prime example of why this is helpful, it's your JOB to look rather it's annoying or not

17. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    actually i've read my job description "shopping for people" is not on there

18. Th0r4z1n3

News Credits:
    but i'm sure "customer service" is, and checking rather a specific item is in stock or not is a service. You're not shopping for me I already know what I want, I just want to know rather you have it or not

EDIT: pwn'd BTW

19. Pikatron

Assisting customers has got to be on there somewhere. ;) 

20. KingGrimlock

KingGrimlock Assuming Direct Control

great idea.