Customs: how to make plastic visors?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by deaculpa, Mar 7, 2010.

1. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    can anyone point me in the right direction to make visors like the red one pictured at the bottom/right in the picture below? thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I've used clear plastic from Transformers packaging or any sort of clear plastic (if you go clear). If you're looking to paint it up opaque, then you can use any sort of thing plastic that can be bent or shaped a bit. That piece looks casted, but you could probably use a clear ink pen casing or something as well.

Good luck, man--hope you find what you're after!

3. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    clear styrene. Should be able to find it at a hobby shop of sorts.

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think if you just start searching around for materials, you may be surprised with what you find. Think outside of the Transformers and "hobby store" box a bit, and start searching through just random things. I keep a junk drawer of things of all sorts of stuff that are not related to Transformers in the least.

I used empty mechanical pencils for my arm cannons, for instance:

[​IMG]

(Seekers - Alternators - Binaltech Customs - TFW2005.COM)

Another example I have is the Targetmaster I made for Ricochet [which has been reassigned since I've redone that project totally]:

[​IMG]

)Ricochets Targetmaster - Alternators - Binaltech Customs - TFW2005.COM)

I hope that helps some. I'm sure there are many more (and better) examples from other artists here who've done the same sort of thing. Sometimes, one may be surprised with how useful a part is that goes in everyone else's trash . . . . :) 

5. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    they look either cast or made from something random (like SQ said)
    at first glance, it looks like if you had small plastic jars (about 1" diameter) and cut the visor from that, you'd get the curve you need. A coat of transparent red on the inside would make it red.

6. KRZTFR

KRZTFR Well-Known Member

7. BruticusPrime

BruticusPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    When it came time for me to need a pair, I remembered a prescription bottle that had been sitting in the backyard for the summer. It had bleached from the sun to totally clear.
    I had my material and the curve, place your design on the bottle, cut it out, and you have your goggles... Now just needed color. I bought some red RIT dye, as I dye a lot of my plastic pieces to black instead of painting them.
    The way I dye plastic:
    A dedicated crock pot/slow cooker set to LOW, never high.
    I always always always get about 3 or 4 more packets of the color I need (NEVER the liquid bottle stuff!) Make the dye solution strong, it just works better and you can keep the left over liquid, and use it again.
    Make the dye solution with distilled water and the dye (Do not add salt, do not add vinegar). Place a teacup saucer upside down on the bottom of the crock, then place the piece to be dyed on that. You do not want the piece to be dyed to come in contact with the bottom of the crock, or it will melt. Put the piece to be dyed into the water, THEN turn the pot to low. ALWAYS start the water cold and the plastic piece cold, or it makes clear pieces foggy.
    When the dye solution is at temp, check the piece being dyed every ten minutes until your desired color is achieved.

8. BruticusPrime

BruticusPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Another thought if you do not want to use dye... Testors, I believe, has an automotive paint detail kit. It includes colors like turn-signal, brake lights etc... They work just as well as the dye method as long as your plastic is virgin with zero flaws.