Customs: How to make an ammo belt?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by garibaldiprime, Jul 28, 2010.

1. garibaldiprime

garibaldiprime Banned

Sorry for yet another thread asking questions but ive been looking everywhere for a tutorial and i just can't find one.
    I looked on here and didnt see one either (sorry if i missed it somehow) so i thought i would ask while i was here.

I want to make an ammo belt for a leader nemesis prime im making you see and i have figured out how to make the little shell casings but i cant figure out what to use for the actual belt itself to stick the shells onto.

Does anyone have any links to a tutorial or have any ideas what i should do?

2. Mathius Maximus

Mathius Maximus Well-Known Member

Many options depending on what you want to do, but you're limited to two I think if you generalize. You're either going to have to adapt something or scratchbuild something.

Again, I always advocate a plan first. You've done some research you say, and that's good, but now you have to make some decisions. What do you have in mind?

Do you know specifically where you'd like to mount it? Or do you just want him to have an ammo belt and you don't have any plans as to how?

You could build something out of styrene. You could manipulate the prime figure to create a mounting point and then adapt a container from another toy line and attach it there. You could sculpt something from clay and cast it, or sculpy and bake it.

Lots of options. None of them particularly easy. The only other idea I have is to manipulate the prime figure to have a built in ammo compartment somewhere, perhaps one of his fuel tanks.

Mathius

3. Bern

Bern Pathetic fools!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  4. aurascope

aurascope Kitbash Resource Indexer

Ebay:
  5. garibaldiprime

garibaldiprime Banned

lol, yeah and $29 for international shipping! Dont think so!

Those would have been perfect too. Goddamned scammers.

Basically i dont want anything complex, i just wanted an ammo belt to run from the gatling gun to round his back or something, i was just gonna have it wedged in behind his back someplace. Nothing special but it would look better than an empty and useless gatling gun lol.

*edit" I found the equivalent without the insane shipping, so thanks for the idea!!!

6. Cybermnky

Cybermnky Well-Known Member

If you really wanna make you're own - take an old computer ribbon cord. then for the bullets/cartridges decide how big you want them - you can use either styrene pipes or tubes, or the ink thingy from a bic pen and glue them to the ribbon. Paint.

7. garibaldiprime

garibaldiprime Banned

Ah, a ribbon cord that would work!

I wish i knew where i saw that tutorial for making your own ammo belt though.

The guy used toothpics for the shells but i cant remember what he used for the actual belt.

The ribbon cord would work well though i think, and id rather make something myself then buy something thats already made as its more fun to DIY!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  8. aurascope

Ebay:
  9. garibaldiprime

garibaldiprime Banned

10. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

I used a tank tread from deluxe rampage, never got around to attaching the shell casings though.

Hakka.

11. Mathius Maximus

Mathius Maximus Well-Known Member

Everything I've seen in a 1/24 or 1/25 semi, whether it's an optimus style COA or a regular semi has been pretty expensive, even locally. Finding just a mirror will be a tough one. You might be better off finding a military style truck model kit and salvaging the mirrors from that. Most guys are willing to sacrifice a detail like that for functionality in a custom, so maybe someone here will have one from a kit they chose not to use. Try putting a want list in the junk section. You might find something out there.

Mathius

12. aurascope

Ebay:
  13. mrfang2

mrfang2 leader of team rejects

News Credits:
    ruber bands covered in glue to stick on the shells