How to loosen tight joints?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jru42287, Mar 26, 2012.

1. jru42287

jru42287 With great power...

News Credits:
    Hey all,

This isn't really TF related, but I wasn't sure where to ask. I just recently got a super-poseable Spider-Man figure from Spider-Man 2 off of ebay, and I really love the figure. The only problem is, the joint holding his head is so tight that you can't move his head up or down. I've tried to force it, but to no avail, and I don't want to break the figure.

Does anyone (specifically you customizers out there) have any ideas on how to get it to loosen up?

2. jru42287

News Credits:
    Bump!

Someone mentioned running the figure under hot water to loosen it up. Good idea or bad idea?

3. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Hot water works, and sometimes a blow dryer will work also. For a super hero toy I think either can be a safe option. I use a blow dryer myself, but I haven't tried boiling water yet.

4. MoonStreakr

MoonStreakr Heroic Decepticon

Just stick it under the faucet after you let the water get real hot. After about 10-20 seconds the plastic will soften and the joint should move. In my personal experience, if it's a bad joint, and it's gonna break..well it's gonna break. That's the risk you take trying to move it. I've had several newer marvel universe figures and even a GI joe's joints break on me straight out the package.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  5. jru42287

News Credits:
    Thanks guys. I'll give it a try I guess and see what happens.

6. CyberQuill

CyberQuill Active Member

what happened in the end? did the figure move, or break? I'm having this same problem with my Beast Wars Fox Kids Dinobot at the moment. His joints are really tight and I don't want to break them, they certainly were not that tight when I was a kid playing with him over 10 years ago. I've also heard running the figure under warm water might loosen up the joints by cleaning out the dust buildup, but have been reluctant to do it.