How to include existing characters and still sell toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by enduser0001, Aug 6, 2007.

1. enduser0001

enduser0001 Autobuddy

In the eventual TF sequels how do we think they will include BB, Prime et al and still sell new toys and merchandise?
    Will it be like a Spiderman type of thing where as they will be the same cars and robots with new gimmicks or will they just reformat into something new?
    BB is already a 2008 or 2009 concept so what could he or the other Autobots be that could make the movie new and fresh without being unrecognizable.

Or are most of the characters especially the Cons so throwaway that it won't even matter who the new characters are?

Thoughts?

2. kasper0v

kasper0v Well-Known Member

well, for one, they'll probably have the cool toys released around the same time as the movie opening. That would be a fresh idea.

3. UltraPrime

UltraPrime Lord of Macragge

Enduser0001 - I understood what you meant.

I would guess either existing characters would have new for,s (entirely keeping with the spirit of the movieverse), or they could simply re-release existing toys (though this would be unprecedented).

4. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

I see what you mean with this, too.

I'd guess that we'll probably see new versions for everyone. It's basic marketing on their end, I'd imagine, to give everyone a fresh new look and attract purchases.

5. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Different size classes. i.e. Voyager Bumblebee/Barricade, Deluxe Ironhide/Ratchet, Leader Starscream.

We haven't seen the Optimus Prime/Bumblebee riding on a chopper yet either.

New disguises also means new alt modes.

6. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Resell the old figures first, then everyone gets a new mode in the movie, then sell the new modes in a later wave

7. enduser0001

enduser0001 Autobuddy

Unfortunately you are probably right. Like with armada and re release them as repaints.
    Damn you hasbro!

8. Zacku

Zacku Overused Mold

I think reissuing the previous movie toys would be a logical solution, as it would give people that missed out on them the first time another chance to buy them at a reasonable price.

9. Bro The Jackal

Bro The Jackal Kamen Rider

It'd be nice if they actually got new forms in the movie as well as new toys. I sure as hell wouldn't buy the same figs just for a different card.

10. MythofBlackout

MythofBlackout TF Fan Artist

News Credits:
    It's doubtful that the returning cast will get new bodies. The Camaro will still be brand new by the time a sequel rolls around so I don't see BB getting an upgrade. Prime was so expensive to model and animate (over 10,000 parts - the most complex of all the robot models) and keeping Ironhide and Ratchet the same would help reduce the amount of time and budget spent on models and designs.

What I do see happening: lots of a new characters which means lots of new toys. Hasbro will also be able to produce more movie-accurate versions of the current cast based directly on their 3D models rather than their concept art and work out engineering and transforming issues to make better toys.

11. bw_rhinox

bw_rhinox Well-Known Member

Hasbro will want to sell toys, so every Transformer will transform into a new vehicle. Hasbro will be unlikely to license out the Transformers otherwise. This new movie will have a bigger budget, so they will have plenty of money to do all new models.

To make the movie fresh, they will probably choose a different auto dealer, or simply choose random cars (Mustang, Corvette ...)

12. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think Hasbro could explore other opportunities, like a secret base for the Autobots or a Decepticon spaceship.

13. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think we're going to see both of these things happening for the next movie. Larger (or smaller) sizes of existing figures that have different transformations and new gimmicks. Like how none of the Prime toys came with an Energon blade that came out of his right forearm. Seems like we might get something like "FAB Optimus Prime with Battle Blade" for the second movie. And some kind of a base for the Autobots seems like it would be logical. Like a transforming semi and turns into a base, similar to the old Micromaster transports.

Also, I think there will be enough new characters to fill out the rest of the line. If it really does have the Dinobots, there will be seven different versions of Grimlock to keep the shelves full.

14. Optimus Matt

Optimus Matt Well-Known Member

a deluxe class prime with his power axe.

15. Valhalla Prime

Valhalla Prime Member

The robot models will most probably stay the same or very little change, i mean look at bumblebee he scanned him self a new disguise but his armour and body didn't change much. So i can see the writer and ilm wanting to keep the robots recognisable to the bots in the first film with different alt modes.
    That or the main cast wont change and we will get different sized and accurate toys which i would prefer.

16. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

They'll modify the alt modes slightly, remold/remake the toys with new gimmicks and make toys of any of the new characters.

Movie Voyager Grimlock and Combining Constructicons ftw!

17. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'm guessing existing toys, released with tweaked decos, slightly remolded to make them more accurate to the film, and new accessories. For example, if in the sequel, Ratchet has twin arm cannons instead of his axe, Hasbro might release him with remolded arms to add in the guns, a remolded head for more accuracy, and more paint apps on the legs.

I also think different size classes is likely. Perhaps not scaling characters up, but perhaps existing Voyagers who return would be redone in Deluxe scale. Though I'd imagine a bigger Starscream is an inevitability.

18. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I'm guessing same bot and alt modes, but different transformations. Like Prime for example, could transform more accurate to the movie with the nose of the truck being his arms and the sleeper his legs. Sure, the voyager gets close to that, but it cheats alot with the cab/chest area. A leader version that transforms like that would rock.

19. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    I doubt all the bots will get new forms in movie. Maybe we'll just get 'better' accurate toys. Prime with sword etc. Or depending on what they use in the new movie.

But at the cost of the models currently, that was the whole point in signing a sequel. New ones I figure will be added character wise, but I doubt they'll change much of the current models for movie as they cost too much to make initially, so it's easier to reuse them. But who knows, they may start a whole scanning thing in the next movie. (BB being chased again, and swapping forms many times to hide. Or same to prime etc, and the decepticons need new forms anyway...)

20. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Maybe if there are any changes to the robot designs, they'll remold the old toys robot modes to look more like the new ones. Or maybe we'll get a whole bunch of battle damaged and black repaints