Customs: How to get started?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by updatedude, Jan 26, 2008.

1. updatedude

updatedude Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, long time listener, first time caller.

As the title suggests, I was wondering how you guys got started in customs and where you found the resources to teach you?

Since starting my TF collection a couple years back, I've been careful to treat them carefully, as toys are quite expensive where I am. However, for all my storing them in boxes and keeping the curtains pulled, I find that a couple of my faves have started yellowing. It's not that bad but it's frustrating. Anyway, I figure that eventually, I'll have to learn how to repaint just to restore them, and so, I wonder if you guys could help out? Is there a thread here to teach how a total beginner can get into repainting? I searched for a few pages, but can't find one. Or perhaps you guys can direct me to some sites? Or offer advice in this thread itself?

Bear in mind, I know zero on customizing. I have no tools, nor do I know what tools to get, but I'm willing to purchase them. Hopefully I'll one day even be able to kitbash, but for now, any advice to get started is appreciated.

Thank you.

2. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know really... if old (white) figures start yellowing, it's pretty hard to repaint it properly. If you're really serious about it, I'd recommend spray paints to get a smooth cover (although you have to mask anything that you don't want white).

Using a brush to clean up faded/scratched paint or plastic will only make it worse. I did that to my Sunstreaker long ago and it's a mess.

3. updatedude

updatedude Well-Known Member

Ah, thanks.

I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with the terms, though I think I roughly get what you mean.

May I know why yellowing figs are hard to repaint properly? How does one use a brush to clean up paint/plastic (though I'll refrain from doing so as per your advice)?

As I said, total newbie here. Thank you for any advice you can give me.