Customs: How to get spray paint into a jar...

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by knyghtmare2021, Sep 3, 2008.

1. knyghtmare2021

knyghtmare2021 The Goddamn Knyghtmare

News Credits:
    I'm painting a figure for a project... (not gonna say who or what right now) And I want the head to match the body color. I'm using a spray paint called Claret Wine from Rustoleum. Can I just spray it into a small paint jar in order to get some touch up paint or am I up the creek sans paddle?

Thanx for and tips/advise.

2. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

I just sprayed it into the jar

3. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

The only way I can get past it is by decanting the whole can of paint, and using that paint. It's super sticky though (at least Krylon Fusion is) and I've only done it once. It's not something I plan on repeating, as Game's Workshops paints can be mixed to a good degree of success to match just about any of the Krylon colors I've used.

I know Tony diidi the same thing with his Alt Breakdown (which was sweet) but I think he was airbrushing it. Right,

Tony? Oh, Toooonnnnyyyy!!!! :poke 

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I do this process constantly, it's a pain in the ass.

first off, make sure you have glass jars for the paint.
    I use a rubber glove and spray in an area I plan to get some drippage on the floor.

Spray paints are generally very thin while in liquid form. If you want this thicker, leave some out for a little bit. the thinners will evaporate leaving thicker paint.

I spray into the spray can's top, holding it about 3-4 inches from the spray can, and tilting it so the paint all collect at the bottom.

I then pour this into the jar.

Do SMALL amounts at a time - you'll find your comfort zone, if you get too greedy, you're gonna make a mess.

5. knyghtmare2021

knyghtmare2021 The Goddamn Knyghtmare

News Credits:
    Thanx for the advice everyone! Hopefully in about a week or so I'll have something to show you :-D