OK so basically we had a water cut for a few hours, i accidently forget to close the tap while me and my family went outside for a few hours. Came back home to see the whole living room carpet drenched in water about 1inch high. My mum dried it with blotting towels, hoovering, fans etc, its still damp but now that the carpet is in the drying process it stinks so much i feel like puking everytime i smell it and my mum is going to replace the carpet next week because its a old carpet anyway. What can we do to get rid of the awful odour its so disgusting its like a damp constant smell and it was all my fault for doing this, can anyone recommend anything? i tried putting carpet perfume in the carpet that didnt help, tried spraying air freshner, scent candles still doesnt get rid of it do you think fungus or mould will begin to grow since the conditions are damp im scared of hygiene issues!