How to get rid of orange plug on megatron mp 5

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by OskirkTron, Sep 19, 2012.

1. OskirkTron

OskirkTron Well-Known Member

Any advise on how to remove the orange plug that comes on the tip of the gun. Please help I hate how it looks.

2. hoosierdaddy04

hoosierdaddy04 The Lord of Diecast

Twist and pull

3. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    Just twist and pull it off. The glue does not strongly bind together.

4. Avengers

Avengers Banned

If the glue is on really good. then I have a few suggestion below

Glue's main enemy is heat. glue melts & gets soft when their is heat. If you have a electric heater portal radiator. put the radiator at the edge or your bed or sofa. place the MP-05 Megatron gun with the orange tip near the hot raiator but about 3 feet away. after a few hours try to remove the orange plug. the heat would have caused the glue to get hot,melt a bit & easier to take the otange plug off.

Try using some kind of mild degreaser agent. like goo gone,orange glo,butter,canola or vegatable oil. to loosen the glue,then try pulling off the orange safety cap.

I suspose you could dip the front end of the gun in medium or hot water. water is said to expand everything. so perhaps this expansion should be enough for the orange safety cap to pull off easily.

Try using a phillips screw driver & unscrew all the phillips screws that are on the gun barrel near the orange cap. if the gun barrel spilts of during assembly. then a little movement here & their should losen the glue on the orange cap enough to make it come off.

5. hoosierdaddy04

DO NOT do ANY of this.
    1: They typically use a single small drop of superglue to adhear the plug. The temp would need to be 120 degrees Fahrenheit for it to lose cohesion which will not be good for the plastic.

2: A degreaser will not get between the bond of the glue leaving you with the orange plug still attached an a greasy barrel that you would need to clean plus it "could" alter the paints tone on the barrel.

3: All you will get is a wet barrel plus the steam will not be good for the dicast parts

4: The barrel is not split don't bother trying to remove it.

If you cannot pull the plug by twisting it with your bare hand use a pair of slip joint pliers. Grab a hold of the plug with the pliers with one hand, then grab the upper middle part of Megaton in alt mode FIRMLY with the other. DO NOT "crush" the plug but apply enough pressure so the pliers do not slip then twist. When it moves a little wiggle the plug back and fourth while pulling at the same time it should come right out.

6. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That is why I have one without the orange tip. BBTS was selling the MP Megatron with the orange tip. The MP Megatron without the orange tip I ordered came from TFSource.

7. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I'm glad I got mine locally from Toy Arena and it didn't come with an orange cap.

8. Avengers

Avengers Banned

I was only trying to give advice. you make it seek like I was trying to hurt the guys toy. the guy in the thread asked for advice. since I am a medium level kitbasher & customizer,I offered my suggestions to help the guy out. All of my suggestions were below Mild beginner entry level & not heavy duty professional suggestions.

1- I use a electric heat radiator all the time. to loosen the box tape on never TF toys boxes. to open up the tape easily without ripping the box art. 3 feet away is a big enough distance for the radiator not to melt the plastic toy. all it requires is a mild or medium warm gun barrel to help loosen the glue to make the orange barrel come off.

2- I wasn't referring to a commerical heavy duty degreaser. I listed a few mild degreasers,one was called orange glo,the main ingredient is oranges & citrus. butter & oil are other natural degreases that have no heavy duty plastic color stripping agents.

3- dipping the front barrel only in the mild or hot water will not have any affect on the diecast metal parts. as these diecast parts could be safe guarded. worse case scenario un-screw the gun barrel from the rest of the toy then try dipping it in mild,hot water or over hot steam. to loosen & melt the glue on the gun barrel.

4- when all else fails. giving advice to use a screw driver to take apart the gun barrel. seems like decent advice. as the toys are assembled using screws & pins in the factory.

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Your advice is horrible. There's no way around it. A degreaser absolutely would damage the silver paint of the barrel, ESPECIALLY goo gone. you cannot take apart MP Megatron's gun barrel. It is not screwed together. It is a plastic tube.

Yeah, everyone, please, ignore Avengers' advice on this. Ignore anyone who ever tells you to put goo gone on a painted surface that you want to remain painted. Seriously. It says right on the bottle that it'll remove paint.

The only thing you have to do is twist and pull on on the orange plug. Really. That's it. The plugs were intentionally put in so that they'd be removable.

10. justamaze

justamaze Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mine I put a long screwdriver thru the barrel from the opposite end and just pushed it out very carefully. It was barely glued so it didn't take much effort. I suggest just trying to twist and pull it out by hand first. Good luck and be careful. Great figure.

11. OskirkTron

OskirkTron Well-Known Member

THANKS GUYS!!! i took everyones advise and was able to do it by removing the barrel and then getting some pliers and twisting off the orange cap! thank you so much to everyone my Megatron looks great now!

12. Avengers

Avengers Banned

Glad to help. enjoy the toy it's pure awesome.

13. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    You did what now?

14. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    LOL

15. Avengers

Avengers Banned

While others were saying twist & pull. I was the only one who gave the advice to remove the gun barrel.

16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    It doesn't have to be removed to pull the plug out with pliers. And besides, you didn't say to remove the gun barrel, you said to split it in half by removing screws that dont exist, because it's one solid tube. And to be fair, you also gave the "advice" to put goo gone on it, which would have destroyed the paint on the barrel.

Twist and pull (or push it out from the back) was all he had to hear.

17. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I was just going to come in here and make a joke about 'imagine its your penis and tug really hard' but the alternative comedy I found in here is just gold.

18. jametron

jametron Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE! Taste Kittens…

News Credits:
    Holy... Keep this guy away from my toys! :lol 

19. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    hey man, I'm glad to help too!

of course I didn't really give any advice, but if the guy that suggested 3 ways to destroy your mp megs can claim credit for helping, everyone else should too! :lol 

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  20. hoosierdaddy04

You know what I'm not even going to go there.

OP Glad to be of assistance. If you ever need advice feel free to PM me.