How to get over a breakup? :(

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tkemert20, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Tkemert20

Tkemert20 「私は眠い」

News Credits:
    Well, looks like after several months with a great girl, I am now single. :(  It was definitely great while it lasted, my first real love. But oh well, if it's meant to be, it'll be, we'll find our way back into each other's lives.

How do you guys (and girls) get over breakups? Any good ideas? And another thing, how long should you usually wait to start dating again? Relationship general I guess, haha.

2. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Lots of metal, beer & testosterone. Her loss dude

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Fill your wallet with dough and stop by your friendly neighborhood brothel.

4. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    I stare at pictures of RHansen

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Shag her sister. It'll be like old times with your ex, with just one degree of separation.

I was such a man slut in my younger days that I could play Six Degrees of Sex Separation with most women I met.

Seriously though: You didn't say why it ended so it's not as easy to give advice, but I'm assuming by the sad emoti you used that the split wasn't your choice. Basically, don't dwell. Get right back out on the pull. The last relationship is over. Move on. She probably is. You really don't wanna see her quickly happy with another guy while you're still sat wallowing.

6. Tkemert20

Tkemert20 「私は眠い」

News Credits:
    Thanks guys. :D 

Well, I guess we've been arguing a lot lately, and it's been stressing her out. She said she still loves me, but wants to see other people, and we'll maybe get back together someday... But I myself think we shouldn't, whats done is done.

7. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Emphasis is mine.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure if you love someone then you don't want to go and see other people. Sorry mate, for what it's worth it sounds like you two did the right thing by breaking up. I recommend either hanging out with friends or a videogame/TV show marathon.

8. Tkemert20

Tkemert20 「私は眠い」

News Credits:
    Too true. I do plan on hanging with some bros of mine today, and starting Monday, I'm going to be back in the dating world.

But, should I still try and be friends with her? :/

9. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Get together with her sister or best friend.

10. Tkemert20

Tkemert20 「私は眠い」

News Credits:
    Guys, is it wrong to already start liking someone else after one day of being single? :/

11. Sinnertwin

Sinnertwin Banned

News Credits:
    ^Absolutely not. GET BACK IN THE GAME SON

12. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't say it's definitely 100% WRONG, but chancxes are it's just a rebound attraction. If you think you really like this other person, maybe it's best to wait a while to make sure.
    If you just want her body, and know you don't care about if you end up hurting her if it turns out that you just liked her because of the rebound, then go for it.

13. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    THIS.

14. Tkemert20

Tkemert20 「私は眠い」

News Credits:
    Haha, OKAY!

Makes sense, that's what my friend said almost word for word.

15. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Rebound relationships definitely help, until the day that you realize that it's a rebound and you really can't stand the person you rebounded with.

I find lots and lots of beer, some Foo Fighters, and friends help ease the loss. Sometimes some medication too.

16. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Alcohol and hookers. But only until you find a hooker you really like.

17. WheeljackRules

WheeljackRules Well-Known Member

Liking someone...or just wanting to fuck them? Liking someone that early after a breakup isn't cool, but fucking them is fine.

Some people might wonder how I could fuck a girl I didn't like...but hell, some of them I've downright loathed. lol

18. Elita_One

Elita_One Метал для життя

I have to disagree with you.

Just because you want to see other people doesn't mean you don't love them anymore. It just means you love them but things are not working out. It is rather easy to love someone who just isn't right for you. If I moved on in my relationship, I would still love him until the day I die. I wouldn't just stop loving him because our relationship crumbled. It would just be a different kind of love, not "I want to be in a relationship with you' type of love.

As for starting a new relationship, it is best to wait until the feeling of a fresh break up go away. There is no doubts that your 'attraction' towards another girl is just because you miss having a girl in your life so you want to quickly fill the gap. If you really love another girl, you can wait until you are sure the feeling is real and not there just to fill the void.

19. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    How about starting a new hobby to get your mind off of her?

20. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Even if she's saying there's a chance you'll get back, she wants to see other people. That, to me, means she's just trying to soften the blow. Ironically, all it does is keep you attached to the memory of the relationship you don't have any more, and which by your own admission wasn't really working out.

So what do you need to do to move past this? First, accept the relationship is over, and accept it is unlikely it will restart. This may be painful, yes, but it is important. If you feel you need to, place yourself out of contact with her, at least until you're completely sure you're "over" the relationship. Do things you weren't able to do in the relationship. If you need time to be "down" and work through your feelings, that's fine too (a good rule of thumb is one day of "glum" for every month you dated, no questions asked. It varies from person to person, but at the same time don't let yourself wallow in misery.) If you feel you are unable to deal with things and move past them on your own, seek help, from whatever source seems most reasonable.

The only way you'll truly be over the relationship is when you get in a new one, but I'd recommend against jumping back into the pool until you're sure you're ready. If you feel comfortable doing so, now might be a good time to reflect on the relationship that ended, what worked, and what didn't, and maybe it's time for some self-improvement. What did you do that you feel you shouldn't have, and should address in the future? How has this relationship changed what you look for in a partner, or in a future relationship?