How to get Crankcases dreads unstuck?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by xion14, May 28, 2011.

1. xion14

xion14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember hearing a way but cant find it. Not sure if it involved freezing, putting the joint in water, or some other way since they look easy to break.

2. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    On all 3 copies I have, I had to take the head apart (3 pieces) and file away at the gold paint they didn't allow time to dry on the posts on the light piping.

3. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

On mine, it looks like they are painted soft plastic or vinyl...

The paint does make them stick a bit if you attempt to move them back. But mine looked like the dreads were connected via two joints on the back of the head. So I kinda bent the joint back and the dreads were able to rotate slightly towards the back. So I kinda pose the dreads towards the back of the shoulder joints. Flowing down his sides near the side mirrors...

There may be some tearing on the dread. One of mine is stressed. If they ripped I would have just thrown them out. But I prefer to keep them if possible. I just hide them down the back and sides...

4. jru42287

jru42287 With great power...

News Credits:
    Yeah, I already broke mine off trying to move them...

5. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    ^That. It's 1 screw, then separate the red pieces (it's above where the screw was). Once you take off the dreads, just rub off the paint on the red peg, then put everything back together. Takes less than 5 minutes.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Yup, just take the head apart, GENTLY (with a tool) loosen and remove the dreads from the posts and remove the gold paint from them. The dreads are actually the same rubber plastic as the hands and pincers.

7. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    Not only should you remove the gold paint from the posts but make sure you get it off both transparent red pieces. I'm still working on mine but I'm removing the gold paint from the top,bottom, and inside parts of the dreads also to avoid any future problems and shaving the posts down a little to make them move more freely (although it would be a good idea not to shave the entire post so leave the part that slides into the other transparent red part alone). I would fit test it before reassembling to get it to move as freely as you feel comfortable with before re-screwing.

Originally I removed the face and shaved off some of the rubber but that didn't help much. Thanks to x BlackMagnus x and Soundblaster1 saying the head was three pieces (I don't know how I missed that) I'm going back and doing what I described above.

8. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

edit:

is it really that bad for those to break? wow.

9. Ironhide4

Ironhide4 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    hmmm, may buy a crankcase when I hit the states and try the fix, I don't want to ruin my unclipped crankcase

10. TfAnimatedfan

TfAnimatedfan Five. Dollar. Headband.

News Credits:
    The dreads can be popped out of the red holders? Is it hard to do? I don't want to break them but I want them fixed.

11. xion14

xion14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I shaved off the paint and some of the red plastic. Now it's decently movable compared to before.