How To Fly To BOTCON 2007 For $160

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Razerwire, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm flying out to BOTCON on free miles from my United Mileage Plus and I realized that there's a cheap way for many people to do the same if they wish to try it.

So here goes.

1. Make sure United flies from your city to Providence.

2. Sign up for a United Mileage Plus membership for free at https://www.ua2go.com/ci/JoinMileagePlus.jsp.

3. Look for a flight using Awards Travel by logining in here: https://www.ua2go.com/ci/Login.jsp?return_to=awardShop&country=US.

4. Get a United Mileage Plus Visa credit card here: http://www.firstusa.com/cgi-bin/webcgi/webserve.cgi?partner_dir_name=united_signature_21k_afw&page=cont&mkid=6VPH. There's a deal going on right now where if you sign up for the credit card, you get 21,000 free miles and the first year's annual fee is waived. You must purchase something with that card though.

5. Get a friend or relative who isn't going to BOTCON to sign up for another card.

6. Make a small purchase with both cards.

7. 6-8 weeks later, you should have the 20,000 miles in your Mileage Plus account. Transfer 5,000 miles (the minimum for a transfer) from non-BOTCON person's account. There will be an $85 transfer fee.

8. Book ticket online at the United Awards Travel page using your free miles. The cost should be 25,000 miles and a $75 fee.

9. Pay off and cancel credit cards before a year to avoid the annual fee.

If you can't secure a second card, I'd say don't even try it. But if you can get access to a second card or have a friend or relative who has miles to spare, I'd say go for it.

2. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My wife and I signed up for a similar program with Alaska. The first bill we got had the annual fee. So if it's anything like we had, you'll still have the annual fee plus any transfer fees. Though even with the annual fee it should be under $240.

3. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Yeah, some cases they make you pay the annual fee up front.

My fiancee had to when she signed up for her Mileage Plus Visa, but when I did, I believe the first year's fee was waived. Never saw it on a bill and never paid it.

So I'm thinking it depends on which deal is going on.

4. Razerwire

News Credits:
  5. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I have bad credit due to my divorce and the bankruptcy that it caused. No approval for me.

Stupid wh**e ex-wife. :mad