Customs: How to Fix Movie Starscream!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by The Demolisher, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Demolisher

The Demolisher Banned

This is what I hate, the mentality that G1 was just some "Phase" that passed in the 80s.

It's not. I'm going to really risk the ultimate most horrible labels here and say G1 IS Transformers, the originals. Everything after it is a spin off, even Beast Wars, which technically had a much better cartoon.

Even Hasbro agrees with me - look at Alternators, Classics. Do you really think Hasbro, the people who have decimated marvel legends, were really throwing a bone to the collector? No. G1 makes them money. Parents recognise the characters and buy it for their kids.

G1. Is. Transformers.

Dreamwave agreed with me. IDW STILL agrees with me. The fact that ONLY the G1 Comic and Cartoon were called "Transformers" and nothing more up until this movie supports me in this.

It doesn't mean that Armada et all are worth nothing, but THEY'RE SPIN OFFS, and Beast Wars, while I like it just as much as G1 TFs if not more in some cases, is a completely different context.

It's like taking Super Mario and making him all dark and twisted. It's an interesting idea, but it doesn't mean you should do it.

And which sounds more suitable for that idea - a comic or TV show called Super Mario: The Twisted Adventures, or have it be SUPER MARIO: THE MOVIE and the ONLY Super Mario live action movie.

Do you get why the Armada/RID/whatever comparisons don't hold up to what the movie does?

There has been a G1 comic.
    There has been a G1 cartoon.

Thus, anything that comes afterwards builds on the originals - it can never try to replace it.

There has never been a G1 live action movie.

This CAN try to replace the original - because it's put up on posters everywhere as THE Transformers. THIS is why it should represent the original's best interests.

Characters matter. Keeping to the source material in terms of these characters in how they look and act matters. I think people have just spent too much time just collecting toys, ignoring fiction, to realise that.

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    "What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."- Billy Madison

I give up on trying to help you. You seem to not even read what we try and tell you. I just have one last thing to say in this thread. You do not have Hasbro on your side, and G1 is over, get over it.

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    "What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."- Billy Madison

I give up on trying to help you. You seem to not even read what we try and tell you. I just have one last thing to say in this thread. You do not have Hasbro on your side, and G1 is over, get over it.

4. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

5. GogDog

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

6. The Demolisher

The Demolisher Banned

Unfortunately, Transformers are beings that can re-arrange their appearance as they see fit.

Trust me, nobody knows what you're talking about more than me. But when you're made out of a bunch of parts that can move around any way you wish, you're not going.

Plus, having an appearance that doesn't match your personality can be a personality in itself - like when the Hulk goes all "Betty Hurt?"

But Starscream wasn't originally portrayed with that trait, and isn't in the movie either.

No, it doesn't matter "How I see him". Starscream is a sleek effiminite character, that's how he was always potrayed in his iconic form, his comic persona was a little more complex than that, but it still doesn't fit with the movie design.

*The legs give the impression of agility, flexibility, and good jumping power.

That wasn't necessarily the point of Starscream. If anything, it was part of his character that he was so down on his luck everytime he tried.

It's also wider than a horizontal double deckered bus.

I love how "IT'S NOT AN INSECT HEAD TRUST ME" keeps getting re-assured. This leads me to believe that the most notable and relevant thing towards it beign Starscream is that, in fact, it doesn't look like an insect.

This does not convince me.
    If you really do, and think this is an an appropriate design for this character, than please explain how his various features, or overall look and mannerisms(monkey), bring out parts of his personality.

7. The Demolisher

The Demolisher Banned

Unfortunately, Transformers are beings that can re-arrange their appearance as they see fit.

Trust me, nobody knows what you're talking about more than me. But when you're made out of a bunch of parts that can move around any way you wish, you're not going.

Plus, having an appearance that doesn't match your personality can be a personality in itself - like when the Hulk goes all "Betty Hurt?"

But Starscream wasn't originally portrayed with that trait, and isn't in the movie either.

No, it doesn't matter "How I see him". Starscream is a sleek effiminite character, that's how he was always potrayed in his iconic form, his comic persona was a little more complex than that, but it still doesn't fit with the movie design.

*The legs give the impression of agility, flexibility, and good jumping power.

That wasn't necessarily the point of Starscream. If anything, it was part of his character that he was so down on his luck everytime he tried.

It's also wider than a horizontal double deckered bus.

I love how "IT'S NOT AN INSECT HEAD TRUST ME" keeps getting re-assured. This leads me to believe that the most notable and relevant thing towards it beign Starscream is that, in fact, it doesn't look like an insect.

This does not convince me.
    If you really do, and think this is an an appropriate design for this character, than please explain how his various features, or overall look and mannerisms(monkey), bring out parts of his personality.

8. The Demolisher

The Demolisher Banned

flaming violates rule number 1 of the boards. considering how short a time you\'ve been here, and your warnings, I highly suggest you read up on them if you want to stick around.

9. The Demolisher

The Demolisher Banned

flaming violates rule number 1 of the boards. considering how short a time you\'ve been here, and your warnings, I highly suggest you read up on them if you want to stick around.

10. GogDog

News Credits:
    I edited it for you.

11. GogDog

News Credits:
    I edited it for you.

12. The Demolisher

The Demolisher Banned

It's always useful to pull a quote out of your ass when your only other option is to concede an argument.

I absolutely hate this. Not only are you working from the position that you are automatically right since you are opposing the idea of being STUCK IN THE 80s, you also talk down to me for not accepting this position, yet I am criticised for being forceful against others' opinions.

YOU are the one not responding to any of my points. You are the one using an all purpose quote to cover for your own lack of ability to defend your side.

Why the hell is this? This is another instance of hypocrisy that I guarantee will go ignored.

If I was actually genuinely allowed to criticise your opinions here, you wouldn't last 3 minutes in a real debate. Purely because none of you are used to it, nothing to do with my skills. You need nanny mods and quotes to protect you.

Again, nobody has countered my main point that the same thing would not be acceptable in other fandoms. People would not celebrate designs that go against the character's personality, and new personalities that bear little resemblence to the original.

13. The Demolisher

The Demolisher Banned

It's always useful to pull a quote out of your ass when your only other option is to concede an argument.

I absolutely hate this. Not only are you working from the position that you are automatically right since you are opposing the idea of being STUCK IN THE 80s, you also talk down to me for not accepting this position, yet I am criticised for being forceful against others' opinions.

YOU are the one not responding to any of my points. You are the one using an all purpose quote to cover for your own lack of ability to defend your side.

Why the hell is this? This is another instance of hypocrisy that I guarantee will go ignored.

If I was actually genuinely allowed to criticise your opinions here, you wouldn't last 3 minutes in a real debate. Purely because none of you are used to it, nothing to do with my skills. You need nanny mods and quotes to protect you.

Again, nobody has countered my main point that the same thing would not be acceptable in other fandoms. People would not celebrate designs that go against the character's personality, and new personalities that bear little resemblence to the original.

14. Mirage914

Mirage914 Invisible

Spoken like a true Superman.wink.

15. Mirage914

Mirage914 Invisible

Spoken like a true Superman.wink.

16. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Exactly. You're stuck in the 80's. Now get the fuck into 2007.

17. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Exactly. You're stuck in the 80's. Now get the fuck into 2007.

18. The Demolisher

The Demolisher Banned

Surely I'm not the only person you've driven mad? Someone else has got to have seen that a fandom that rejects what made them fans in the first place as nothing but nostalgia is insane?

19. The Demolisher

The Demolisher Banned

Surely I'm not the only person you've driven mad? Someone else has got to have seen that a fandom that rejects what made them fans in the first place as nothing but nostalgia is insane?

20. GogDog

News Credits:
    No one is countering your arguments because, in the history of this message board, it is an age-old argument that is made weekly, and honestly, everyone is tired of it. I understand that the search function has been disabled by the admins on a short-term basis, but when it comes back up, do a search for "geewun" and you will find a hundred other threads from people who make much better points than yours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.