How to Do Humans Right.

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by TransRanger, Feb 28, 2011.

1. TransRanger

TransRanger Well-Known Member

I read the people behind Prime wanna make sure they do humans right in this show.

What do you like most out of Transformer humans?

Myself... I need a human that can join the fight like Kicker. Otherwise they really do feel like hangers on. They make you wonder why they're there at all in harms way in the middle of an intergalactic war instead of far off site and in military protection.

2. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I loved the concept of NEST in the movie. That's how I would prefer to have human interaction.

3. AMG

AMG Old School

Animated did humans right.

4. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I agree.

I think that of the TF franchises, the one that had got most of the humans right was movieverse, with Lennox, Epps, Secretary Keller, Tom Bonchack [or whataver the hell is his name] and Agent Simmons.

All of them kick ass [Simmons being my favorite], the only sucky human characters the teenagers [Sam, Mikaela, Leo...].

Prime has already offered us the awesomeness of Special Agent William Fowler, the best human character of all TF media alongside Agent Simmons [it seems that the rank "Agent" carries awesomeness in the TF universe].

So I really wish we get more human military characters [though Fowler already kicks ass] instead of little kids.

5. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    This
    (with the exception of Angry Archer) .

They're doing okay so far, but the last episode, I dunno. They really need to give more of a sense that the human characters have a life outside of hanging around the autobase.

It feels like this show keeps running up against the limitations of CGI.

6. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I should also point out that so far Jack has been done very well in my opinion. He seems like a real person and isn't super annoying. But I'd much prefer Lennox and Epps to be the human companions.

7. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    You only say this cause Fanzone rocked hard! ^^

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    But i like the humans in Prime so far, espically Miko and Fowler.

Animated's good guy humans and the NEST guys were great humans as well.

9. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I'd say they're doing a fine job with the humans in TFP.

Even if some may not personally enjoy some of them as characters, the humans roll in the show has been handled very well.

10. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    The movies and comics have done humans the most realistically, IMO.

Chances are if TFs were to exist in real life, they'd probably be teaming with the military and government instead of children. Sure, a kid or teen or someone might discover them first, but that's about it.

Doesn't mean I don't like the Prime humans. I think they're perfectly fine.

11. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You gotta remember the writers/producers want a show that will appeal to kids..probably ages 6-12, maybe a little older, say 8-16. So TFPrime has chosen the children they think most of their viewing audience will identify with.. a computer geek/nerd who's 12 1/2 but seems younger, a metal-loving rocker girl..and Jack the older teenager who's probably the most stable teen and human group leader.
    Although we older fans are watching this series, it doesn't mean we're the target audience, so that being said, I think they've picked some pretty good a-typical kids and just based how much improved Miko has become after the first episodes, I think they'll become some of our fave human allies to the Autobots in TFP.

12. SwindlesShop

SwindlesShop Kenny Power's drug dealer

News Credits:
    LOLZ@ people liking the movie humans. If you like bad acting then yeah.

Animated and Prime are doing it right.
    IDW did it perfect with Hunter. And actually had the balls to do some dark stuff to develop his character.

13. Faded-Myth

Faded-Myth Oddbot

I think I liked Angry Archer the best. Hilarity in his irrelevance.

But yeah, I'm totally cool with Jack, Miko and Raf. They're the kind of kids I wouldn't have minded watching in shows when I was a kid. While Miko gets excited a lot, their roles don't consist of them screaming and staring in awe every five seconds. They respect their companions, and actually seem interested to help. I like that.

14. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

I get it, I do, about the kids needing to be an essential part of grabbing a younger audience. But when I was a kid, I hated seeing kids in a cartoon. They were always getting in the way, getting captured, or screaming and crying. And cartoons always try TOO hard to grab attention. They use cliches and "punk" rock hip icon use to try and appeal to kids. I never got it then, I'm starting to see how ridiculous it is now. I don't mind the kids in Prime, except Miko. God she's annoying. Every two seconds they have to stop the sequence of the story so she can get told not to do something, again.

Anyone ever read the article written by the guy who wrote the Dungeons and Dragons series? Has a unique insight into the marketing world of targeting a children audience. Very good read if you can find it.

15. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I liked how Beast Machines handled humans. ... Wait a second... :p 

For me, this is how I sum up how they've done humans (in my opinion):

G1: Haven't seen many of the episodes...but boy, was Daniel Witwicky an irritating wuss (in The Transformers: The Movie) who just seemed to get in the way and cause trouble. In my opinion.
    Beast Wars: Very cool way to link the Transformer history and human history together. And I liked how the cave-peoples were a force to be reckoned with too. The Predacons thought they were useless fleshbags who posed no threat...and then they had spears. :D 
    RID: Pretty good. I really liked the whole "steal the main kids father and use him as bait"-scheme they had going, and Koji (was that his name?) was moderated very well. My only complaint was that female comic relief character who was already riding around in X-Brawn or Sideburn. Pointless comedy, but hey, I laughed. Plus, they tended to dispose of her rather quickly, so it's all good.
    Armada: The kids started out okay, but I found that they got annoying as the series drew on.
    Energon: Kicker was cool. I agree with the OP about how he was able to join in on the battles. I just don't want any Decepticon-murdering humans to show-up the Autobots in terms of battles.
    Cybertron: I actually didn't mind these kids that much. I know that they served pretty much the same function as the Armada kids, but for some reason, I found them less annoying.
    Bayformers: Soldiers - cool and realistic team-up. Government agents - Cool. Teenagers - Meh. Parents - Funny...as long as they are controlled. Overall, I'd like slightly less human-centric scenes, and bit more Transformers please.
    Animated: Perfect. Cool idea to have human villains.
    Prime: So far, so good. They are there, but not distracting from the Transformers too much.

Totally agree. The animation on Sam and Mikaela was top-notch. Way better than the rendering of the Prime kids. ;)  I joke, I joke.

But I do agree with you. The Autobots would most likely team up with 'professionals', rather than random teenagers. Think about it. If you were booted off to some random place in another country, trying to accomplish a particular mission, what would you do? Find a random street kid in a hoodie and sneakers to help you, or try and team up with the local police/rescue force? (Ignoring the possibilities of a corrupt police force, super awesome kid, etc.). I'm not saying that I don't like the whole "kids in a Transformers series"-thing, just stating my thoughts.

Agreed. I think that if all (or the majority) of the human characters were adults or government agents or something, kids would have a slightly harder time relating to it. But then again, maybe the kids just care about the Transformer-aspect of the shows, like me. :)  Throwing younger characters in the shows helps kids imagine that it could be them in that super-cool situation.

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Prime's been the best at implementing the human children best. Having them initially being there not really by choice, but because of the sensitive nature of the Autobots. Hell, Fowler almost took them into Federal custody.

17. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    I'm enjoying them so far, especially considering the limits they have with a production budget. Even Miko seem to have toned down a bit (thank Primus).

As long as they as it continues to allude and enforce that the kids are not always stuck up their afts and have lives outside of their own, I'm all for it. Even this Fowler, while so far being situational to his appearances, has is nice tie to the government, that can be exploited later.

18. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Put there heads on a spear. I mean really, anyone here like the humans over Transformers here?........I didn't think so.

19. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I saw this thread title and suddenly remembers previous ad campaign where KFC said that "They do chicken right."

20. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I can see it now... Ratchet lures the kids into a deep fryer.... :lolol 

On topic, I haven't had any issues with the human characters thus far. They're really relegated to a supporting role, and they haven't been nearly as annoying to me as Spike and Chip once were. Agent Fowler, yeah he's the best of them - he's had some pretty good lines when he's been around and I'm looking forward to seeing him in the new episode this week.