How to develop Kreo-Os to transform

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nightrain, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Since becoming more interested in them, I had an idea. The problem with transforming ones is both forms get sacrificed and end up looking awful ala BTR. But what if they took their current idea - two sets of instructions - and you could choose which form would have priority?

For example, you could choose to have robot form take priority and it would have the nice articulation and proportions and stuff, but transform into a rough translation of his alternate form. Like, just the basic parts would collapse together enough to make something resembling the shape of a car or whatever.

Or, you choose priority for alternate form and have a really nice solid alternate form that could flip out a few panels to have a simple looking robot without so much articulation.

Does any of that make sense?

2. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    Go start designing this. Once you have it done, I'll build one out of my own Kreo figures based on your design.

3. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    They need clicky joints for better support and alignment. I've been able to design good transforming Kre-O models, but rubber joints are a pain to work with and around.

4. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

I think it's possible that your idea might actually be harder than designing balanced robot/alt mode transformation.

You're proposing what amounts to 4 modes per kit, with two of them transforming between each other.

Now, it might be doable to have a kit that sacrifices robot for alt or vice versa. But having the alternative weighted modes makes for a tough design challenge.

5. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Oh I didn't intend to have it added with how they currently design them. I'm saying down the road if they are looking for ways to make transforming work.

6. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

I understood that from your post.

I'm saying that a design (i.e., a new design) that requires the ability to implement 4 modes, with two sets of transformations, is probably a major design challenge. So much so that it would counter any design benefit achieved by not having to design two "good" modes that transform between each other.

Basically, you asking for a single kit that has:

1) Superior robot mode

transforming with:

2) inferior alt mode

and

A) superior alt mode

transforming with:

B) inferior robot mode

That's four designs in a single kit. Tough stuff.

Now, they could take half of your idea ("Transforming Kre-O Optimus with excellent robot and so-so alt mode!"), but they would probably have a hard time marketing a kit that, while achieving transforming without disassembly, admittedly sucks in one of the modes.

7. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As an downloadable online instruction, yes. But part of release paperwork? No. Itll confuse the kids. But cool idea. They could make it such a wayu can upload to a kreo site n fans vote best build n u win prize n shit.