How to decide when not to collect?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    So at this point, I am starting to think with the RiD line and the WfC/FoC line, I maybe collecting more then what I want to collect.

I was thinking, F it, let me sell those off. Only problem is, I take enjoyment in both lines. And by comparison to all the old stuff I collect, they are dirt cheap.

For instance, my whole RiD/FE collection right now is $130 total spent for 9 figures. Shit, I get 2 Mint G1 figures that I want and I may be at that price range.

So I am debating on whether or not I should collect these. How do you guys decide which lines your just going to avoid? At $10-$15 a pop, it's hard to say no, especially since they are not coming out monthly.

The only thing that may annoy me is the hunt. But realistically, if I finally take up Kitbashing, I think the boredom will subside and the patience will increase till I find these figures at retail.

2. CrackerBoy

CrackerBoy SeƱor Member TFW2005 Supporter

If i like it i buy it.

3. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If I have a connection with it from my childhood, be it a memory of having the toy, seeing the toy, the cartoon or the comics, I'll collect the upgraded version of it.
    I don't collect Prime or movie figures because they do nothing for me, and I don't like the movies nor Prime.
    Did collect animated, but those have since been packed away.
    the exceptions to this are Ultra Magnus and Rodimus, who I want to have all incarnations (molds, not repaints) of.
    oh, and certain 3rd party figures like the MMC HoS line.

4. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    i tried to collect the majority of everything being released in the last few years...finally my wallet said "fuck that noise" and i decided that trying to collect almost everything being released in the transformers realm was crazy....now i am purging almost all my collection...keeping beast wars/beast machines and my beast wars returns stuff..

and concentrating on generations and some of the armada/energon stuff i wanted but never gotten....

and MINI-CONS! you can never ever have too many minicons!

i am looking forward to some of the upcoming generations stuff...might collect that...but for now minicon hunting works for me...

5. mrtbone81

mrtbone81 Bringer of Devastation

Ebay:
    ^THIS

6. TFormerfan

TFormerfan Maximal

Yup

7. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    I decided a while ago to say screw the hype and collect what I want. In a way I'm glad Prime figures are out, and the WFC/ FoC are being released, because I have absolutely no interest in either, so it gives me more money to concentrate on stuff I do like, 3rd party stuff, G1, and Classics. If I spread my money too thin, I tend to miss out on the figures that might be a little more pricey, but what I really want.

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Before I buy anything, I think to myself, "Where am I going to put this?" If the answer is 'In a box, in storage,' then I don't buy it.

And if anything else is going to have to go in a box in order to make room for the new thing on my shelf, then I compare the two as to which I'd rather have on display. If the answer is 'the thing I already have,' then I don't buy the new toy.

And if the new toy fills a similar position to one I already have, say... a Movie Voyager Optimus Prime... I ask myself if I honestly like the new toy better than the one I already have. If the answer is 'no' or 'maybe not,' then I don't buy the new toy.

I don't buy ALL of anything. The last time I even tried was Armada, and needless to say, that was a huge mistake. If I had stuck to the few gems of the line, that would have been great. But I bought a lot of mediocre Armada toys of characters I only vaguely cared about...95% of which are now in boxes. Every once in a while, I bust one out to give as a surprise gift to one of my nephews. But by and large, I could have used the money and storage space more wisely.

9. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

I buy what I like the look of and think I'll enjoy. I think it helps that I have virtually no interest in G1 toys aside from maybe an encore/reissue Trypticon if Takara ever does one and at a time I can afford it. (probably merely a pipe dream) I tend to buy at least one toy from every line to help judge whether I want to collect more from it, though so far only the PCC's got generally avoided. (wouldn't mind Sledge and Heavy Tread, but only if for cheap)

But perhaps if you're debating whether you want to continue collecting the Prime line and pursue the FOC toys, then you don't really want to collect them after all. Sure, $10 doesn't seem like much, but it can quickly add up and potentially cost you getting a sweet deal on something you really did want.

10. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    It's as simple as this.

11. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What are you constrained by? Money is a factor for everyone, and space is an issue for most. I know you like to display everything and not have stuff in storage, so from that angle fewer, more expensive pieces makes sense.

I've gotten into 1/6 scale figures lately (primus help me) and those can run $200 a pop, so I'm not buying Prime autobots.

The nice thing about buying G1 is that there's no rush. There will always be plenty on ebay and elsewhere, and there may even be a reissue coming along. So you can buy new stuff now, then wait for a lull to buy G1.

12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Do you want it?
    Can you afford it?
    Do you have space for it?
    Will it be more expensive or less available down the road?

If the answer to any of the above is no, don't buy. If all four are yes, buy.

13. Quantum25

Quantum25 Well-Known Member

For me it's pretty much: "Do I like/want it?" and "Can I afford this/is it worth the money?".
    If it's yes for both of them, then I'll buy it.

14. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    This. Why try to hunt down figures for a line even if you don't like the figures? It's all about the quality of the figure, not the quantity or completeness of a line.

15. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i take advantage of droughts or lines i don't have much interest for to save up for the stuff i really want.
    i have all but 2 RiD figures i care for, so i am not collecting again until the pre-orders for the new generations start.

if BW had been introduced this year, (as an example) i would have passed on it and waited for other releases.

but it still boils down to what you like.

16. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    For me it's pretty simple:

Is it a Classics character? Do I like how it looks?

Generally if at least one of those questions are answered "yes" then I'll get it. The only line I really collect now is Classics, and I intend to avoid any and all future Movie stuff, and I'm planning on liquidating all but a handful of the movie toys, keeping only the ones that really impress me.

The Prime line as a whole just doesn't do anything for me. I got all the ones I wanted, so I'll be saving quite a bit of money on Transformers this year until Generations hits.

17. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well along with this, I often like to weigh how much I want something oppose to other shit that I'm also after or that're also available. I'll often even go as far as making myself pay attention to shit for the sake of gathering a better evaluation on whatever I'm focusing on, as this helps me get around the pigeonholing aspect of making myself want something just because its on my mind. Run along sentences ftw.

18. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I'll buy anything if I get it for a good price, and if I end up hating it I flip it, some times make money, sometimes lose, but I get to see a lot of figures and fine tune my collection.

For example, I picked up TFP RID Bee and Cliffjumper when they came to the UK, then when the fuss over the FE's hit I managed to get a set for Candian retail price, eventually deciding I will be keeping the FE version of Bee and CJ and selling my RID. I could have made more money selling the figures when I got them in hand, but I got to make an informed decision with zero panic, flustering, asking other people what to buy, or rage-quitting or blame-throwing at Hasbro.

19. AMG

AMG Old School

I only buy what I enjoy and I'm not a completest. I have no problem passing up dozens of bots if I just don't like them enough.

20. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I was pretty set on not collecting Prime. I like the show and all (something I can't say about Animated), but all the hubbub about the toyline turned me off. And I don't even mean the distribution kerfuffle, that stuff happens and I understand that. But the reaction from the vocal minority of the fandom is what bothered me about it. I was ready to simply not support this toyline basically in boycott of the threads and comments on this board. "No soup for you" if people are really going to be that way about toys. So that's where I stood on Prime.

Bot Shots...

My thoughts were that I was going to buy Optimus and Starscream for their respective displays, and then come to the decision of whether or not to go full steam, knowing that I most likely wouldn't.

And this is where I was as of 3pm yesterday:

[​IMG]

Found myself privy to both a brand new case of Prime Deluxes at Walmart, and then a brand new Bot Shots case at Target. And to add to the perfect storm, I was paid yesterday.