Customs: How to deal with chrome when using dye method?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by j.a.f.o., Jun 28, 2008.

1. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Looking, Not Buying

I'm looking to dye G1 Topspin's body from white to gray or black (whichever comes closest/looks better) using the following tutorial:

http://www.tfw2005.com/radicons-customs/tutorials-and-how-tos-2/how-to-dye-a-figure-164128/

Is there any way to preserve the chrome on said Topspin's pontoons during the boiling melt-your-face off dye/acetone process? Alternatively, will chrome come off using the same method for stripping paint (acetone and alcohol)?

*EDIT* N/M, I took him apart and the chrome section comes right off, making life that much easier for me.

(Mods feel free to delete this thread.)

2. cefuroxx

cefuroxx Well-Known Member

You can dye the chrome as well if you want and it will still retain its shine, I did it with the boosters on ko galazy shuttle. Didn't use acetone tho

3. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    If it's just blank chrome (not colored) it should just stay the same. That's what happened when I dyed the body section of my RID Megatron to make my Universe Beast Wars Megatron. The blue paint that was on the chrome turned red, but the chrome itself stayed the same. Unless the acetone solution is relatively strong, I don't think it should affect the chrome itself very much, if at all. If you want to strip the chrome off, though, Isopropyl Alcohol might work, as I've heard that people who were trying to get rid of the battle damage on 20th Prime and rubbed too hard or too long also stripped the chrome off.