Fan Art: How to credit with no info?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Venksta, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hey guys. Got a question for you all. If you happen to find an artwork by another fan, but there was no info on who the artist is, and even the source had no idea, how would you go about crediting them? I saw a very cool character design, which someone submitted to a BotCon art contest, like 9 years ago or something. But I could never find out who the artist was, and never saw the art online. All I have is a photo that someone else took of the artwork. Now, if I wanted to use that as base for a project, how would I credit them, and what are my limits, in using my art, which could be heavily inspired by this unknown artist's piece? 1/3 of the photo isn't clear, so I'd have to redesign parts of the character myself, but most of the robot mode is visible, so it'd still look like the original piece for the most part.

Your opinions are appreciated. :) 

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd say cite your original websource location, if you can. Basically, just try your best to do everything you can to respect the original artist. It may turn out that someone else can give you more information in the end. As long as you're being as upfront, and honest as you can and being the most respectful to the original artist, you'll be fine :) 

As far as usage goes, hopefully others will be as honest, but I'd simply say that when it comes to usage there are a few more particulars. How is it being used? What does the original artist (if you end up finding out the identity) say about the usage? What is intent of your own usage in regards to the original artist? Things like that.

I'd say that it says a LOT about yourself and your integrity by being this humble to begin with. I've gotta give you major props for that :thumb  I'd think if other artists shared your same attitude to begin with, there'd be a lot less problems initially as well . . . .

I hope that helps!

3. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I would say just making a statement about being inspired by someone's art and give the details like you gave here would be enough.

At least that way, you don't end up making the custom and then have someone else come along that saw the same artwork and call you out on ripping someone else off.

Maybe you'll even find out who the original artist was when you're finished.

4. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks guys for both your opinions on this subject. Gives me a good idea how to go about this now. Btw, I was trying to dig more info on these artworks I saw (TM and Fuzor designs for BW show characters), and found out from the file info that it was from BotCon 1998! I'm definitely not going to find anything new about them online now. :lol  But hopefully if I do anything that is inspired by these artworks, I can get the original artist to pop up and hopefully even share better versions of their artwork. :D