How to create glowing eyes effect in Photoshop?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by MasterOfPuppets, Jun 12, 2007.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

Can someone tell me how to create the glowing eyes effect that I've seen used many times around here like in the cool stuff thread? I did a search, and wasn't very successful and I'm hoping someone here can give a photoshop noob a good walkthrough or a link to a good guide. Thanks.

2. Cody2003

Cody2003 Well-Known Member

can you post an example of the effect you are looking for specifically?

The way I would suggest would be to make a color fill layer in the color you want the glow to be, in the shape of the eyes but a little larger. blur the layer some to get the glow effect and then play with transparency modes and opacity values to get the layer to appear more like light values than an opaque color.

slightly more advanced than that, you could make another fill layer with a mask, and brush colored highlights on the face edges to add to the look of light being blocked and focused on parts of the face.

This, like everything in photoshop, is just one way. I've been using photoshop so long now that I can think of several ways of creating a glowing effect for eyes, but this was the most basic, and effective that came to mind.

3. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

It is pretty simple buddy.

Select the eyes with the lasso tool or with a quick mask tool. Once you have them selected, create a new layer and put it screen blending mode. Then under "selection" choose feather of 2-3 pixels. Now use edit-stroke with a red color or yellow. The stroke should be in "outside" mode.

hope this helps. Good luck.

4. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    ...why is this in Toy Ark?

5. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

I just use the lasso to outline the shape a few times, put the lightest colour in the first, and then make it darker as you go out, and then hit the gausin blur thingy.

**edit: here's a very crude idea of what I'm getting at

[​IMG]

But that's essentially the same thing I use to get glowing eyes like this:

[​IMG]

Just play around with duplicating layers and different levels of blur.

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    You could've moved it :p 

As for the original question: lasso the eye, copy it to a new layer. set new layer type to either screen or to linear dodge, if you want you can up the intensity by selecting the brush tool and setting that to colordodge, choosing a much lighter shade of the eye's color and then click that a time or two over the original layer's eyes to make it look like light is reflecting off the eyesockets and nose of the bot's face.

[​IMG]

7. CdnShockwave

That's actually a cool effect... was just fiddling with it now. Very interesting. Can you post a tutorial?

8. REDLINE

News Credits:
    sure. I'll do it tomorrow, its time to get to bed now...

9. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

Well I posted it in the Toyark because... well look at those amazing pictures Redline and CDN just posted, of toys. (and an intense pic of Razerwire)

Redline's effect is very nice, I like CDNs pic as well. I'm looking for an effect similar to this.
    [​IMG]

Keep in mind I'm a total photoshop noob so if you can simplify things that'd be awesome. I'll have a go at the advice given so far and see how i fare.

10. REDLINE

News Credits:
    that picture there just looks like someone used a brush a drew them and blurred them.

11. CdnShockwave

Thanks dude.

Man I really need to get back into photoshop.

12. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I do basically the same thing, but tend to add white layers overlayed and blurred above the color layer to enhance the effect. Gives you something like this guy here:

[​IMG]

Or this:

[​IMG]

Of course, sometimes that ends up looking not so good. But it's really effective in cases where you want to retain some of the detail from the "eyes" and just want to up the intensity a bit. Slap a layer of color over it, overlay it, slap a layer of white over it, overlay it, blur both and duplicate the white layer until your happy.

Glows are one of those things that everybody seems to cook up a different way of doing. Experiment, you may find out you can come up with something that fits your own style better. I'm a big fan of the mostly white with color around the edge sort of look, while some are more into all one bright color. All of my glow work started with lightsabers though, so I may be biased by that.

[​IMG]

13. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That all sound complicated. No wonder I can't use GIMP well...
    Since MoP's only asking about Photoshop, me chiming in is useless, but all I have to do is to lasso select the eye area and adjust exposure/blightness/colour balance. Basic, but it does the job.

[​IMG]
    (Making it huge for your viewing pleasure :lol )

If the area is small I don't mind using airbrush, either :p 

[​IMG]

Having said that, I haven't really done anything remotely complicated lately. I guess I got tired of it.

14. Night Flame

It's really not that complicated, but like I said, everybody finds a different way to do it that works for them. The GIMP's seeming complication all disappears once you get a grip on the layering system. I know for a period of about two years I fought it and fought it, and then all of a sudden one day the layers made sense and everything else just fell into place for me.

Like I've always said, need hints on something, hit me up. I'm always around in some capacity, even if just lurking.

15. CdnShockwave

I was trying out RL's suggestion of using the dodge tool to make it look like the light is reflecting off the bits around the eyes, works pretty well if you use it ever so slightly. And Syd, that's another good way of doing it, I gotta try that the next time I get off my lazy ass and start 'shoppin again. (I've got a really cool idea... the YF-19 on re-entry in Macross Plus when it's spinning all over the place).

Another thing you can try to give it a glow effect around the eyes is to use the brush, select the glow colour, lower the opacity, brust a little around the eyes, and then use the gausin (sp?) blur to create a little aura around it.

16. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You are an awfully patient guy. I'll stop whinging and take a look again next time I feel like some editing. To be honest I can't even figure out what to ask, but thanks :) 

Looking forward to see your pics, Cdn :D 

17. Night Flame

Re-read my color enhancement tutorial. If for no other reason, it gives you a quick run-down on how the layer system works. And, when in doubt, create a new layer to work on. That way you can always scrap the working layer and go back to the source.

Once you get that down, the other questions should start coming into focus for you.

18. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

You can always cheat and use an fx lightsaber lol

[​IMG]

19. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    :lolol  now Unicron looks like the ultimate Care bear

20. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'ma kill you. You know that right? Rooming together will make it just that much easier.