Heavy/Scratch: How to build your own "CHUG" Voyager Skylynx (WIP)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Unicron9, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

My first "CHUG" voyager sized Skylynx (made up of 2 deluxe sized custom figures) got a lot of good response. I'm working on a Skylynx 2.0 that addresses the few issues mentioned that could use improvement, so I thought this time I would share just how it is done. Following this WIP, you only need the parts, tools, and a bit of skill (something most here at Radicons have) to make your own!

As seen in the picture, these are the parts you need:
    1. A voyager Beast Machines Cheetor. Last time I used Universe Cheetor for head and front claws but this time I want a more robotic cat look and head articulation.
    2. A generations Straxus or Skullgrin.
    3. Legs from a DOTM deluxe Laserbeak.
    4. TFP Soundwave.
    5. One shoulder gun from a voyager Energon Megatron.
    6. the dino legs from a Classics Grimlock.

So far I have glued together the legs of TFP Soundwave to permanently make it a bird head and neck. This time I will sculpt and sand the seams before painting.
    I cut off the Skullgrin hands, leaving the ball joint and a flat part where I cut it so new claws can be attached later, and I also removed Skullgrin's turret (great for making another Guzzle later).
    You will have to cut the articulated red section on skullgrin (that used to hold the turret) so that it can swivel freely all the way through the tank mode unrestricted, and so the cat head will fit on. I have apoxie sculpt holding the cat head on in the first pic here, but once it cures I will break it off to attach it stronger with glue, then sculpt over the ugly parts I cut.
    You can see where I will add the front cat paws.
    Make sure when you remove the Laserbeak legs, you cut them off, then cut off the red wing feathers too, but carefully and in a way that leaves only a well rounded peg on each leg so they can peg into Soundwave/bird and still be removable for an optional sleeker drone mode.

THEN (picture 2):

You'll need to shave and sand things down along the side of the kitty neck and the Skullgrin forearms until it fits into the tank mode. Once you have the tank able to close up with the cat head inside (the nose sticks out under the back a little), you can snap that head off and you'll see the imprint from your sculpt. Squirt some trusted glue (I used Gorrilla Glue) on the sculpt imprint then stick it back on tightly and hold for about 10 seconds. Now you are free to sculpt reinforcement around the seams of the cat head and neck, staying careful not to restrict the cat head fitting into the tank of course.

Score the flat surfaces where the cat claws and skullgrin wrists will connect with something sharp like a razor blade, and stick those bad boys on with glue. I used Plastic Fusion on these for a stronger hold. Then you can do the reinforcement apoxie sculpt around those seams too.

Cut the rear claws off Grimlock's legs, but be careful so you can sand the remaining tips to be square pegs. These will be what connects the tank gun barrel later.
    Make sure you play around with how the parts move, work, and fit together frequently so you don't make any mistakes that are difficult to fix later.

More to come as I go!

Attached Files:

2. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    wow, this is going to be very useful to those interested in doing this. nice of you to take the time to do this for people.

3. Terremoto214

Terremoto214 ALPHACORE

YES :bowdown: 

4. batmanprime

batmanprime Omega-con

Ebay:
    Damn decent of you.

5. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Awesome

6. PredaconTheKing

PredaconTheKing Predacon Grand Emporor

instruction update?
    iv finally gathered all the pieces together, to make my own skylynx, Finally!

7. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives TFW2005 Supporter

Looks forward to seeing a Generations Skylynx!

8. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Oh sorry guys. After posting this over a year ago it was gone into the pages so fast I assumed there wasn't much interest at all and didn't bother adding more. I got so into making the figure I think I totally forgot about this.

I ended up making 2 of these. With this start and parts list, plus taking a look at the completed version (and improved version 2), you should be able to get the idea pretty well. I can't finish the "how-to" though because it has been too long since I did these.

I will of course answer any questions as best I can remember.

9. 00Convoy

00Convoy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    unicron9, can you post some pics please?

10. Stormvapor

Stormvapor Well-Known Member

yeah mate, if you can, and its not too much trouble, I'd love to see more please :) 

11. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

12. 00Convoy

00Convoy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
  13. KnightStrike

KnightStrike Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Holy scrap! I am going to have to try to start tracking down parts, this is awesome!