How to Build Collection Stupid Question?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Got a question for all you hard core collectors out there.
    I started off my collection last year or so when the re-issues started appearing at Toy's R Us. I only picked up the ones that were my favorite as a kid and I tend to shop that way.
    Do you guy's tend to collect only those you really like the best, or do you just get what ever you can when ever you can?
    Why have characters you don't like in your collection? Yea, it look's awesome having a massive, massive collection filling entire rooms and what not. But I'm not sure I see the point of just grabbing any old character to fill a hole.
    I'm sure there are no real rules to collecting, but correct me if I'm wrong?
    Now, I'm not rich at all, but I do have a descent budget. Usually about $400 a month to spend so bidding on rare items usually isn't an option for me as funds are limited.
    So, any suggestions is appreciated. Thank you!

2. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm a little bit scatterbrained, I typically only get what really jumps out at me, but occaisionally, if something's on a ballbreakingly low clearance discount I'd be crazy not to pick it up. Or in the case of Animated, where I liked the entire line so much as a whole I've amassed one of each character/mold, except for Megs who I've got all 4 unique molds for.

I avoid non-character "Burning/Defender/Night Attack" repaints like the plague if I own the mold already. If it's a repaint in a character I really like, and if the paint/retool is significantly different from the original figure, (e.g Animated Cliffjumper) I'll bite.

3. CURAMEN

CURAMEN LOS ANGELES COLLECTIVE

News Credits:
    Funny you bring this up because I started off that way back in 2002 when I only purchased the Transformers Takara TFC and Hasbro Reissues.

I as well thought about only buying the G1 Reissues from Hasbro and Takara that I really wanted, but as collecting goes... Once you have want you want, you tend to want more and the things you said you would never buy... Well, you start buying them!

At first, it was only reissues and once I had those... It was the Transformers that were unlikely to be reissued, such as G1 Jetfire, the Dinobots and the Gestalts (At that time the KO's were not available for the Dino's and Gestalts).

Then as time passed, the figures I never cared for eventually became figures I wanted.

Back when I first started my budget was limited too, but I eventually graduated college, landed a better paying job and I started buying higher priced items, such as Scorponok, Fortress Maximus, etc.

8 years later, I have almost the entire G1 line from Reissues to Originals, all the Alternators, almost all the Binaltechs, all the Masterpieces, all the Reissues from 2002 to the present, all Classics, a few RID, a few Armada, a few Cybertron, a few Animated, a Few TFTM, a few ROTF... You get the picture.

I actually only buy what I want from the newer lines and focus my attention on everything G1 or G1 based.

These days, I'm looking into purchasing customs... The may cost a lot, but it's worth it IMO to have something original and different from everyone else.

Time will tell and how you start is just the beginning... You'll never know where you'll will end and eventually you may become as addicted as myself or a few other members on the forum (You know who you are).

Anyways... Welcome to the Forum! :thumbs2: 

Next time, don't ask a stupid question... You may have someone respond to it and take up all your time reading their post (JK).

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  4. Miggytron

Miggytron Slag Sucking Saurian

I watch the A&E show Hoarders a lot and I never want to end up like those people. There is a very fine line between collecting and hoarding.

So yeah I only buy show characters and only for lines that I like. So no Armada, No Energon, No BW B'boom, No Classics Countdown etc etc.

5. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i collect what i can get ahold of, no transformer is not welcomed into my collection

6. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    what a collector buys has as many variations as there are collectors, that said there are always some pieces all collectors desire and those tend to be the most expensive. Also you can divide collectors into 3 groups:

AFA collectors : those who buy AFA rated figured which come seal in a Plexiglas box this tends to be the most expensive form of the hobby.

MISB / MIB collectors these are the collectors that have to have ever little item a figure comes with, you could divide this into 2 groups but often they go after the same MISB items if no MIB of that figure is available so i keep them together. both ways tend to be on the expensive side of the hobby.

Loose collectors: This the least expensive way to collect especially if you don't require every last bit of paper work or unappiled sticker sheets (Vintage figures only) it also I usually the way people who graduate to the other groups enter the hobby. That said some figures such as Fort Max are expensive no matter how you get them.

as for advice get what you like and you will always be happy with it. That how i but as my friend Guard Convoy said no figure is unwelcome in my collection unless it is in such wretched condition its is only of use to those who use junkers to make original figures.

7. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    heck i'll take any figure in any condition, i can find a use for it somehow, you never know when you need parts (took a very incomplete unicron and repaired my little brother's unicron to perfect condition for example). oh and i love how you mentioned fort max :lol  i can't believe that next month it will be a year since i got him.......wow

8. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    If it looks cool and has positive reviews, I'll get it.

Though I have a soft spot for Wheeljack/Wheeljack homages.

9. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

I want as many updated G1&G2 characters as possible in Henkei/Classics/Universe2.0 and other figures that fit in with them like Music label Soundwave, device label Ravage etc.

It's more or less the same deal with Masterpieces&alternators, want as many updated G1 characters as possible in those lines.

Similar with animated, as many characters from the show as possible, prefarable they should be in relative size with each other.

With these lines I only really want one of each character in each respective 'universe'.

But sometimes when I am at a toystore (or see a sweet deal online)and see something on sale I can buy something I dont really 'need' just cuz it's a Transformer that happens to be cheap.

10. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    :lol  knew you would notice

11. Tigertrack

Thanks guys for all your replies. My collection started off as getting my favorite characters and I'm very happy I have them. One in particular was Smokescreen. I can remember to this day, way back when he first came out that my Dad took me to Toys R Us in Reno Nevada where I grew up in. We went in the store, proceeded to where the Transformers were, and I asked my Dad, "Help me look for Smoke........" And I found it just like that. Had to have that guy. Two years ago I picked up the Japanese re-issued version from ToyEast and still have him today box and all. He's still mint condition with all accessories.
    Of all the series, the G1's were my favorite and I hope to collect all of them. I started disliking them shortly after the Targetmasters and Headmasters series.
    Now, I wish to have all the G1's up to the Targetmasters and Headmaster series and all the Alternators, Binaltech's and Masterpieces.
    As for collecting, what is better, the Alternators or the Binaltechs? I know they are pretty much identical except one is plastic and the other is die-cast. I've herd that the paint tends to chip on the die-cast versions? How durable are they? I don't play with them much at all, though I do tend to find my self bored some days and taking out a few and playing with them like a kid.
    I find my Megatron Masterpiece to be very flimsy and not worth playing with. I like displaying him more then playing. Are the Binaltechs very posable and articulate? I noticed the photos they look really cool, but I've never seen one in person. One thing I find fun to do with my Megatron is have him poised with his middle finger up! You know, the "finger"? LOL! Anyway, are the Binaltechs just as articulate?

Currently at our local TRU store, they have in stock several Perceptors. Is he worth getting?

12. AMG

AMG Old School

I tend to collect a little bit of everything, and don't hold myself back by only collecting one line. If I like the character or looks of a TF, I'll pick it up regardless of what line it's from. I do favor some lines over the others though.

My advice is to pick up what you like and enjoy the hobby.

13. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I started my TF collection only last July 2009. Started off with Legends Class because they were the most attractive to me that time, maybe due to the fact that I used to collect 1:60/1:64 diecast cars.

At first, I wanted to complete the Legends line, then, since I realized I am most fond of Bumblebee, I've decided to focus on him and the other characters that I like, like Grimlock.

At this point, my goal is to buy all the Bumblebee toys I can find/afford. Some are really expensive like the McDonald's St. Louis Bumblebee. And, as much as possible, I want to buy MOC/MISB/MISP, I really want to be the first one to take the toys out of their packages.

Sometimes I have to buy sets just to get one figure I really need/like. So I have a steadily growing collection of non-favorite figures which I might sell in the future.

14. Tigertrack

I like my stuff clean, fresh and minty so I tend to purchase MIB items. I also know they tend to sell better if MIB.
    Previous years my hobby was all about Kyosho Mini-Z cars, the 1/28 scale highly detailed high-performance RC cars. Collecting AutoScales, "the bodies made for the cars", were a lot of fun. Over the years, they started becoming more and more expensive. Some cars in particular were getting really scares and hard to come by. There were limited edition ones that started becoming nearly impossible to find. It became a very expensive hobby because not only did you want all the bodies possible, Kyosho kept making more. Plus, you wanted all the variant chassis they made as well. Not only that, you wanted two or three of each chassis type and all the available upgrades. Starting a year and a half ago, Kyosho's AutoScale quality dropped, yet their prices went up and that pretty much ended it for me. My interest in them died out and I started flying RC helicopters with my Dad more and more and my interest in RC cars finally reached the end last month. Now it's all about helicopters, and Transformers.
    I prefer MIB above all else, though I'm more concerned about the item itself rather than the box.

15. CURAMEN

CURAMEN LOS ANGELES COLLECTIVE

News Credits:
    Alternators or Binaltechs... Alternators if you have a budget and Binaltechs if you don't, but if you have the means buy both due to the fact that some figures are only available in either line, such as Mirage in Alternators and Red Alert in Binaltech (BTA).

Binaltechs are pretty articulated... I consider them smaller scale Masterpieces.

TRU Perceptor... He's worth it if you don't have one in your collection and you want to get it, $35 is not bad IMO... But if you wait, there could be a chance that they can go on clearance (My local TRU's have quite a few and they're shelf warming).

16. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm not a completist and don't buy everything, just what I like. Only thing is, I end up liking most of what comes out. Go figure. XD

17. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    Buy what you love, and love what you buy.

Only then can you obtain true collecting happiness.

Damn, that's zen.

18. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    I only have one piece of advice - If you've made your mind up that you want a certain figure, Buy it as soon as it's released. Don't procrastinate & put off purchasing it until next time - It will only increase in asking price later on. For example, How much have the price of Henkei's skyrocketed since they first hit the shelves? Man, I'd hate to be completing my Henkei collection now...

19. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Pretty much.

I've recently made a few rules on myself so that my collecting (read: spending) wouldn't go overboard though.

1. I only collect one line of figures: "Classics"/Henkei!
    It used to be primarily Classics/Universe, but I'm in the middle of making the switch over to completely Henkei!, barring some non-Henkei! figures like CJ, Ultra Magnus, and Drag Strip. It's about half and half right now.​

2. No repaints from A/E/C. None.
    Original molds only. My only exception being customized figures.​

3. If I don't like it, what's the point of buying it?
    I've kept from falling under the completionist itch when it comes to figures I flat out don't care for, or I feel don't suit the character. For me that meant the Ultra class figures and Galvatron.​

4. On-screen characters only.
    Sorry Nemesis Prime, you have to go. My top shelf consists of G1 Seasons 1 & 2 characters, while my second shelf consists of Season 3 characters. The cartoon is what I grew up with, that's where my interest lies, that's what I want to collect.​

Mostly this is just about me building a collection I can be happy with in a couple years. My only regret being not going for Henkei! to begin with.

20. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

What they said.