How to Balance a budget in Tough Times....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tyjos, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Tyjos

Tyjos Just another Collector

Well I've now found out the plant my father works in is closing in febuary, that means now after I complete all my Transactions for this month it will have to be a very very restricted spending budget.

As much as I hate to say it I may have to stop buying Transformers all together. So Starting January I will be in Conserving Mode.... I haven't had to do this in a LONG time and it is hard to get over the impulse buying habits I've seemed to develop over the years.

I guess you can say I've reached my peak, the top of the mountain and it's starting to go downhill a little bit.

So it's time to stop and hit the brakes with spending....dang it's just so damned hard to do now. Due to the fact I collect many other things than Transformers and haven't completed a few things that I'd really like. Just wish I could have done that earlier.

Not going to let it get me down, already been down enough for the later half of 2008. I have been focusing on Priorities to get lately and acquired many that I am looking for which is good. Now the downside is that a few figures are coming out that I'm looking for and there are maybe a few older figures I'd like to get just at the moment need to pass up on things.

Anybody else in this situation or getting to it as the Economy continues it's downward spiral and the shockwaves from that start to affect everyone else?

Still though just got to work very hard now to get my mental thinking from the "Oh I'll get that,get that, get that, oh and that one too." to the " Don't need to spend money on that right now it's not important, save money." mindset.

I guess it's to be expected, when a collection like mine has expanded to crowding up my room for about 4-6 straight months eventually it'll come to a screeching halt.

I'm sure of one thing, at least I'll be happy that I will build up a little bit of savings if I decide to stop collecting for a while [at the time when many things I want and have been waiting for for months to come out get released]

Anyone got any advice on how to sever the hold of that evil plastic crack we know as Transformers?

Edit-Mods please move this to the General Discussion part....I posted in the wrong area! Do'uh!

2. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    do what i am going to do...sell it all...EVERYTHING...and start over...I am doing this starting in Jan...I have gotten way to much stuff all over my one bedroom apt and it needs to go...then i will just get a few TF's from each line that i want and be done with collecting once and for all...

3. PrimulArchangel

PrimulArchangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thats easy to do if you have a small collection of maybe 100 or less figures. But when you got stuff from your childhood (the 80's lol) there is no selling because it will cost to much to rebuy down the road lol..

But i know what its like to be in that mind set of buy this and that and this and one of those and 2 of these lol.. I was like a kid in a candy store for a long time.. But then i lost my job a few years back and havent been able to get fully back on my feet.. SO it all starts to gel and fall into place on whats important and what can wait..

Right now i may buy a new figure maybe once a month. Try to get into trading here on the boards, this is how i get most of my stuff. I may only buy a new figure once a month but i get new figures in trades all the time. Trading is the best , saves time and money.

but if you are at a store and you see a figure, pick it up and look at it and at the same time think of what else you can use the money on that is more important then the toy. Also find out how rare that figure is, if it's one you can find all over the place then wait and buy it later, if its one of those 1 per case figures that everyone is looking for then maybe buy it if you cant think of something more important to spend the money on like a Bill or food lol lol.

You'll see it will all fall into place and things will work themself out. But looking into trading , its a good cure for te plastic crack addiction lol. Sucks about your Dad loosing his job, these are hard times but things will work out :) 

4. raitei

raitei Well-Known Member

I've been there, before I collected a lot of different mecha-type toys along with transformers. I decided that I needed to get rid of things because I didn't have the space for them. I sold all my non- tf toys.
    What I also did was limit what types of TFs I bought. For example, I decided to sell nearly everything from the A/E/C series' except my favorites or "key" characters. For beast wars I've kept just the show characters, and I've just finished collecting all the titaniums. I may sell them like I did with all my alternators since I had all of those.
    Right now I'm just trying to finish g1, g2, and getting other-country exclusives. Honestly, it helps to limit yourself to certain lines or key characters. I don't even bother with animated unless it's optimus or something.
    Also, try to sell things you don't want or can do without or try trading, it helps A LOT! Hope this helps a little bit, good luck!

5. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I would not sell the collection. money comes and goes, but a collection that has taken years to build, with what ever rare gems you have in it, is just priceless. Ive just been cutting down on what I buy; I realized I cannot afford to be a completist, so I only get what I think looks neat. Ive also held back on the big TFs. If you really want to work on a budget: cut back eating out, dont buy brand name groceries, car pool, recycle etc. During this summer's gas prices, I actually cut down on eating out and buying brand name things and it did help out.

6. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
    I definently wouldn't sell my collection - AGAIN. About five years ago I had to sell for financial reasons. I sold my complete Trypticon, my near complete Metroplex, my mint in box Reflector (I actually teared up a little bit on that one) and a lot of other stuff. If I had to go through that again, I would have done a few things differently. I would have cut down on my spending, buying more necessities like clothes second hand and preparing food at home instead of eating out. I would have stopped the toy buying, instead appreciating what I had. And I definently would have picked up a second job (tough for me, I have a smashed up right leg, but I could have been a greeter at Walmart or pulled light duty at a nursing home). In the end, I have no one to blame but myself for what happened to my collection. But now that it's rebuilt, I'll be damned if I let it happen again!

7. Tyjos

I just had to sacfrifice my original Transformers Collection...only have 3 Survivors from that massive collection that I sold to help pay bills. Some of those figures now are worth so much I am kicking my self for selling them [Like the Classics Skywarp which I had along with the other Seeker Jets]

Those of you who have seen pictures of my room it'd be impossible for me to sell every figure I got Especially my Anime Figures which about 90 percent of those I imported just about all of them from Japan/China. And the pride and joy of my current collection my Atlantis Stargate display which is worth allot and will be worth $$$$$ in the future will never be sold due to the fact I'm a major Stargate fan.

I also have to keep myself away from ebay....have a bad habit lately of impulse buying things there. Shipping eats me up, though we list a ton of stuff on ebay Listing costs are starting to pile up big time.

We usually have lots of yardsales but the way my mother has been [Depressed] she hasn't felt like dragging stuff out plus the weather has recently worked against us. We normally do very well with our yardsales.

But yes when I look for figures in store I weigh the whole which one is rare and is it a good enough figure to buy it when I see it.

I've recently started trading with a friend of mine who I got my Cybertron Evac from! He doesn't collect Transformers, but mainly star wars...got a ton of stuff along with that evac for trading a few dozen Clones and Droids. I'm going to start having him if he can look for a few rare Universe Figures I'm looking for. Always works out Trading Star Wars for Transformers to me.

8. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not to be a downer, but I don't understand people who collect so much stuff all based on an income that is given to them by their parents. True, I used to save my lunch money and etc and buy toys when I was younger, but one of the main reasons why I stopped collecting and purged 5/6 years ago, was because I shouldn't be spending their money on things like that. Now that I am financially stable and living on my own, I have picked up collecting again, and have no guilt. Besides, from the sounds of things, a lot of your parents money situations could have been lightened if you didn't buy so much stuff with their money to begin with. There's no sense in complaining about having to give up stuff for the people that bought them in the first place. Granted I don't know fully about your situation, but this is just from the information that I've grasped from this and the other thread you put up.

Either way, I say don't sell what you know will appreciate in value over time. Other things, will always be easy to find later down the road.

9. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Before I read the entire block of text, is this a "Buy Food/Pay Bills/Avoid Homelessness" budget or more of a "Can't Buy Toys Anymore" budget?

10. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Based on my own experience:

- Switch your buying habits from paying retail for MIP to waiting later and buying loose figures instead via the Junkion Exchange. Or trade for them from items in your own collection so you aren't out any money at all except for what you originally paid.

- Sell off only stuff you know you wouldn't want to reclaim later. I went over my own collection and did this and was surprised how much stuff I bought before I got married that I didn't want to keep anymore. Back then, I had disposable income galore and I thrived on the thrill of the hunt. And it became more about the getting than the having.

- Avoid shopping.

- Get rid of your credit cards and pay the balances off as quickly as possible.

And sometimes you will have to sell things in order to pay the bills. It's a simple fact of life. Priorities come first.

11. decepticonjon

decepticonjon japness for balls

sell the stargate atlantis peice while people still know of that show and you can get more than 12 bucks for it. yikes!

12. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you're buying toys and don't have enough cash saved up to survive through a 6 month crisis then you're doing it wrong.

Here's a tip if you must keep it up: never buy anything new. Almost every TF released ever will at some point be available on the second hand market for less than retail.

13. Tyjos

Well this problem is mostly caused by my sister and her no good husband, my brother in law who I hate now with a passion. They spend more money than any of us....and think dad will pay the bills.

My spending is actually quite small compared to what everyone else in the family spends. Collecting has been my hobby, and it's a hobby I enjoy. But now with all the bad news coming at once or every couple of weeks it's like why should I bother?

Just now it's getting to the point that financially it's not a good idea to spend money on stuff like plastic toys that just sit around and do nothing when that could be used to pay the bills to keep the electricity on.

14. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
  15. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

You could whore yourself out to 5 fat chicks for 100$, or one REALLY fat chick for 500$.

16. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Are you 13 or under? Then you are a child and can enjoy toys and spend your allowance however you wish.

Are you 14-18? Then you shouldn't be buying any luxury items and only working like a dog while busting your ass in school so you can get into, and pay for college.

Are you 18+? You should be working full time and probably going to school full time and not relying on your parents and doing the hard work to become a contributing member of society and to have a stable adult life.

Are you 25+ with a stable job, good education and a place to live and healthy finances with minimal debt? Then you can buy Transformers and not be a negligent monster.

I am amazed how so many people on this board have monstrous collections and have been buying things for years and in the slightest economic downturn the "I am gonna be homeless and my wife and kids are going to starve to death" threads pop up. If you cannot support you, your family and all your expenses for 6 months then you don't have enough money to spend on anything.

17. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    The best way to curb your toy spending is to not have the money to spend.

That said, I've known Tyjos a couple of years now, and he has various disabilities that preclude him from working or even moving out on his own. They don't preclude him from saving what he does get, tho. ;) 

--Moony

18. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is what I recommend...only buy 1-2 things every other month or so. I know that this would be very difficult to do because I know that you love to collect things as a hobby and that is fine. Also, look at what you have in your room and decide if a certain item was a real want or an impulse purchase. The question decision on a certain item is it something that I would enjoy further down the road.

Unfortunately, I do not know what to recommend about your sister's husband except maybe have the parents talk to and reason with them about the situation.

19. Tyjos

Which is one thing I am going to have to do now is start saving...which Moony probably knows is a freaking impossible thing for me to do.

20. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I always plan ahead and put a percentage of my paychecks into savings so if something comes up I'll have an emergency fund. It's how I paid of all my college loans before they were due. I worked during school and puts aside as much as I could spare a month any where from $200 to $500 a month. Over a year that builds up a lot. Now that I'm making more, I'm still doing it. So in case my car blows up or I get fired, I have some fall back money. I've been slacking off with the holidays so I need to put more of my next pay check in my savings.