Customs: how to add waist articulation

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Megatron31, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    what's your method for this? I am thinking about going back so some of mine and work on this and I was curious on what some of you guys go about it

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

It really depends on the figure. I try picking an existing waist from a similarly sized figure that will fit in with the transformation scheme.

3. Megatron31

Ebay:
    i got ya,

what could you do if you wanted to scratch build an upper & lower torso out of styrene?

4. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

As Satomiblood says, the methods you use to articulate a waist really depend on what base figure you're working with; some already have mechanisms in the waist that aren't conducive to being modded. But of course, if you're scratchbuilding, you can design the torso to incorporate whatever mechanism you want.

I posted a tutorial a couple of years back when I articulated the waist of an Energon Downshift I was converting. It doesn't have "during" pics, but it might prove useful. :) 

5. Megatron31

Ebay:
    yaeh most of the figs i have done are really cut and dry as far as adding parts but one in particular is giving me some grief is the best way to say it i have some time today and i am going to try and add maybe a ball joint. the reason i am asking for different ways is this.

im working on hook and i have his lower torso pretty much complete but his upper body minus the shoulders is looking like it willl be completely scratchbuild but his waist needs to have independent swivels (i need the upper torso and the lower torso to be able to move seperatly and there will be a piece inbetween the 2 halves with another hinge for his devastator form) i could just as easily not give him waist articulation and keep working with what i have right now but to be honest what fun would that be.

i know what is need im just not sure how to go about it at the moment i am really thinking of taking a ball joint from another figure and adding it in

i dont want to unveil hook until the upper and lower torso are atleast attatched