Customs: how the hell does krylon work?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by ckhtiger, Jan 10, 2007.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    I know it says it "bonds with the plastic" but here's what happened to me today. I sprayed green on a fender about a week and a half ago. I realized today that I missed a spot, and my green for handpainting is a shade off, so I sprayed it again. these lines started forming in the paint, and then it spread like a spiderweb. I then proceeded to wipe all the paint off with a paper towel. I think I had previously put down about 4 coats. any ideas?

2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Not sure. The best I've been able to figure is that it's some sort of adaptive enamel and that it probably has SOME molecule-bonding similarities to the other bond-style glues ("superglue," zap-a-gap, etc.)

However, it's still a paint. In my experience, Krylon takes an assload of time to dry, even if the paint can says "ready to use in X hours" or whatever. No matter what I've painted with Fusion, I usually give it a week or so. I've found you can do a new coat ON TOP of the existing coat within hours, but to actually use or mess with the product? WAIT.

3. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    yeah, but that's the thing, I can paint over it again in like, 2 hours and it's fine. a day later, or in this case TEN DAYS LATER, I paint over it again and it's ruined.

4. Sculpt-bot

Sculpt-bot So waddya want, a medal?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Did you say that you used a brush on matching color between coats? I have had the spider web thing happen when I have used a different type of paint and then sprayed over it. The only way I was able to fix it was to strip it all of with good ol' alcohol, and start over.

5. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There's a window of time after applying a coat of paint during which you can apply additional coats without running the risk of wrinkling. After that window passes (usually a matter of hours), you have to wait until the paint fully cures before applying additional coats. The wrinkling is caused by the upper layer of cured paint swelling and sliding along the deeper layers of uncured paint due to the absorption of the solvents in the fresh paint you just applied. If you wait for the paint to cure completely before you recoat, the fully cured top layer will be held in place by the fully cured deeper layers.

I use Testor's spray enamels almost exclusively for my super slick TF body painting. If I wait longer than one hour to recoat, then I have to give it at least 48 hours to cure before an additional coat. However, a rock hard surface won't form for at least a couple weeks. Hope this info. helps. Patience, ckhtiger-san.

6. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    that sounds exactly like what happened. thanks!

7. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

...You know, I might want to experiment with this for texturing effects. If you let the wrinkled paint stay wrinkled, does it dry OK or does it just tend to crack off and get messy?

8. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Might depend on the paint. Some textured paints, though, seem to take advantage of this phenomenon. Not a bad idea, if that's the look you're going for.