How the HELL do we AFFORD this?!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by AutoCon2076, Apr 16, 2007.

1. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

Hey there, gang. I was just looking through the Collection Showcase (and posted my pics, too) and I have to say: Wow. The most recent one I looked at was our very own SamiWCP's collection - holy shit, lady - nice stuff. Take Sami's collection, for example. She has nearly every single Optimus Prime figure it looks like. Retail-price alone is over a couple hundred easy. Not to mention her display cases - how much do them solid wood ones with the glass fronts go for?

What exactly is it that we do for jobs? Within the past month alone I probably spent near a grand. I just bought G1 Scorponok ($120) , Chromedome ($10), Highbrow ($50), Brainstorm ($40), Crosshairs ($30), Trypticon ($110), Overlord ($100), and a MIB Ultra Magnus ($120). I also bough two more book-cases ($60 for both). That's $640 alone - and I just shoved out another $70 for Star Convoy and $13 for a JTF MIB Overload. $723 within the past three weeks.

I myself spend my weekly Unemployment check on toys. Why? Because I worked for THREE YEARS STRAIGHT at a Strauss Discount Auto, and now I go full-time to a private tech-school where I learn Autobody. The school alone cost $2k a month - that's a gift from grandma, I can admit it. What exactly is it that we (Transfans) do for work? Upon graduation I'll be doing the autobody thing making $400-$500 a week. Gravy. How many teachers or computer-networkers are here? Any construction persons, or other mechanic-types like myself? What's really good, peoples!?

~Z

2. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I'm a technician, have been for 10 years now, I repair automated mail insertion machinery, the pay is not too bad. :) 

3. soundblastc44

soundblastc44 CAPS MASTER...OH YEAH

WE AFFORD IT BUY STARVING OUR SELVES AND NOT BUYING OUR FRIENDS AND FAMILLY PRESENTS....[JUST KIDDING...I MOW LAWNS $10-20 BUCKS PER LAWN 2-6 LAWNS EVERY OTHER WEEK...ALL RIGHT]

ALL HAIL THE CAPS MATER.

4. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    I'm essentially, Data encoding/internal accounting. Click the link in my sig for my collection thread (not on this site btw)

5. soundblastc44

AND HOPEFULLY ILL GET A RESL JOB THIS SUMMER....[SOMETIMES IT DOESNT PAY TO BE A TEEN....[UNLESS ITS YOUR B-DAY THIS WEEKEND AND GET TO GO TO THE CITY AND SPENF 100 BUCKS ON WHATEVER YOU WANT...YAY ME

:IM NOW OFFOCALY 16:bday  :rock 

6. Dream

Dream SEND THE BOOKS!

I'm the guy who kicks in everyones boxes and throws them at their front door so they can come here and whine about it!

7. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a business management job & did most of my collecting prior to the wife and kid, so money was less of an issue then. And lots of people have big collections... I have over 3500 (everything but lucky draws), and I'm sure there's others out there with plenty more than that.

I also like seeing small, carefully thought out collections; they're very classy - so volume isn't really the defining characteristic of a good collection.

8. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm an IT Technician, which means I do just about everything involving a computer and/or a network.

(Although some people at work seem to think I'm in charge of anything that plugs into an outlet).

9. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

I'm a graphic designer. I have an employer and I also do some freelance work here and there. Pay's decent, but it could be better, especially for the "industry" I'm in (huh, guys? *wink, wink*). I always make sure I have everything I need, and all the bills are paid before I even consider indulging in some toy purchasing. My collection is pretty small compared to most of the people here, but I only get the figures I really like, mostly. I'll never starve or skip bills just so that I get some of that plastic goodness.

10. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    To earn my money, I drive this:

[​IMG]

Best paying job I've ever had.

11. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

12. soundblastc44

NICE!!!!

13. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    I beat up old people, steal their identities and sell them on the intraweb! BWAH HA HA HA!!!
    J/K. I used to have a good paying job as a supervisor in a factory, hated it, then drove a truck for even better jack, but missed the kiddies at home. Now, my collection is limited to a toy here and there. I have a crap job, with crap pay, but I get to spend time with my kids, and now we get to play with all these toys that I've collected. Kid's, the ultimate collectible. (Just don't keep 'em MISB, you end up with funny colored variants :D )

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I play video games for a living.

it's pretty cool.

15. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

I work for a VFX company. The money is good and I also restrict myself for certain toys only.

16. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    <-- Software QA Engineer

17. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy ShickaBAM!

Im a junior CAD Tech, the pay is meh at the moment especialy at my current job, but there are far better jobs out there in my feild and I'm currently in looks for a new one.

18. surak777

surak777 Autobot Musician TFW2005 Supporter

<--Telephone Customer Service Geek and part time musician

19. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I second this post. Yeah, pretty much the entire thing. L2 tech, so I do a combo of phone and onsite as needed based on the issue.

And yeah, if it's got a chip in it, people think we do it. They HATE hearing that we don't support this or that device that isn't standard for the company.

20. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Uh...
    Right now I work at American Eagle, going to school this fall at a Native American college so that wont hamper my toy fund that much since it'll be more or less free XD