How supportive is your significant other regarding Transformers collecting?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Zherbus, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    My ex-wife usually just made off-handed comments about it. I ignored it as it didn't harm anyone around me and my daughter got a kick out of playing with them with me. It was something that made me happy, but she just didn't get it I guess.

My girlfriend found out after I "confessed" my hobby this past summer and she thinks it's adorable. She can't name any other Transformer other than Bumblebee and Megatron, but she's really pushing me to enjoy the hobby. She insisted that wherever Botcon was this year that we go together. She wants to engage me in my interests.

She always wants to get me Transformers randomness like faction-switching belt buckles, tee shirts, etc. Her father passed recently and had a lot of G1 boxed up that she wants me to have. I was really honored for that. She also pushes me to buy something I have my eye on.

So from being with both extremes over the past few years, I'm curious how many out there have supportive, neutral, or wholly against significant others in terms of the hobby.

2. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    My gf thinks its cute, and nice to have a hobby. She's a little into the franchise, likes Animated and the movies. She can name most of the characters, but gets really nervous about buying them for me.
    All in all, she's great about it. She's got her collectibles (stuffed animals) and I have mine ^_^

3. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    My lil lady is happy if I'm happy, and collecting Transformers makes me happy :) 

4. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    I'm lucky enough to have a fiance who loves transformers and collects them herself while also buying me bots I want and really like. Together we have a crapload.

5. dirtyjoe478

dirtyjoe478 Member

My fiance loves Transformers and buys them for me all the time along with loving all the shows,movies,etc.

6. The_Fixer

The_Fixer The fixer of all things

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    good question.

I didnt get to collect during my first marrage, but I sure did get to sell my childhood G1 collection to bail us out of debt. Thats all over now and I am getting back into collecting again; divorced of course.

What made things easier for me this year with my current gf, was to make a Amazon.com wishlist (and her do the same) so we know what each other wants. She is not a TF scholar by any means and would need some guidance on what I wanted as opposed to what I already have. And boy did she try.

She got me the MP-05 upgrade kit and Anniversary Soundwave; because she thought they looked cool. Yes, they were on my wishlist, BUUUTTT not my priority of wants!!! What good is the MP-05 upgrade with out MP-05?!?!?!?!

Anyways... her only gripe now is that we are running out of room in the closet to fit all the boxes (misb in storage boxes). Shes is right... I stopped putting them in boxes and started placing them on the shelves in the hall closet. I need more room. arggggg.

7. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    My wife is really supportive, her and I will often spend the day out of town on "The Hunt" going from store to store looking for whatever store exclusive it is that has my attention at the time. She often pushes me to buy things that I'm on the fence about, mostly cuz she knows if I pass on them now later on down the road I'll decide that I should have gotten them and spend a month tracking them down on the internet & driving her buggy, LOL.

Overall she's very supportive & I love her for it:D 

PS
    OH yea, you wouldn't want to sell your MP-05 accessory kit would you? lol

8. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

She hates when shopping, I always drag us into a toystore, but when I see something and I go ecstatic but can't afford it, she loans me the money for it, or sometimes just buys me the thing. She's always enthusiastic when I finish a custom too.

9. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

My GF LOVES it that I have something that I can have back from childhood. She totally supports my habit and encourages me to buy into the MP series as much as I can afford to.

10. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My partner is "tolerant," she does think that it's a little strange for a woman to be in to boy's toys.

11. ROTF Sideswipe

ROTF Sideswipe Scientist

I haven't got a significant other, but if I did, I'm sure she would be pretty supportive.

12. FartRipper67

FartRipper67 Well-Known Member

I'm single as well, but let's just say if she wasn't supportive she wouldn't be my significant other. :cool: 

Yeah, I totally have my priorities straight.

13. ROTF Sideswipe

ROTF Sideswipe Scientist

Very much so, I do believe.

14. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

my lovely other half lets me dispaly my toys in the living room, smiles tolerantly as i drag her into random toyshops, and endures my stories of which toys i want next with only minimal eye-rolling. couldn't ask for more :) 

15. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Digital art monkey

After nearly 12 years of putting up with me, my better half understands my love for TF, even if she doesn't share it herself. She might take the piss out of me occasionally for being a colossal geek, but she's bought me a few herself (and as such knows full well she's guilty as charged when it comes to feeding the fire). :D 

16. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

My wife gives me a hard time about buying so much "plastic crap", as she so eloquently puts it, but it's mostly in jest.

She'll go to the toy section with me and have a look around and tell me which ones she thinks look cool, which is usually a Megatron of some sort.

She's often purchased figures for me as well, like MP Grimlock. She went in with her parents to get me my first Transformer toy as an adult for our first Christmas married together. They got me the 20th Anni Prime, which just floored me. She even got me a BT Grimlock for my birthday a few years back when we were staying at her parents while our condo was being built.

She sometimes complains about how many toys I have, and once told me she preferred my collecting Gundams as they at least required time and effort putting them together thusly giving me a longer lasting sense of sastisfaction, but she fully accepts that I'm a huge Transformers fan and will be for a very, very long time.

But she does think I should stop buying so many Primes...

17. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    My wife is a TF fan. 'Nuff said.

18. Primal_Grimlock

Primal_Grimlock Gettin' outta collectin'

What significant other? :-(

19. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    My wife's OK with it..although she sometimes jabs at men in general for having 'hobbies'.

She likes the ROTF Icecream Twins because of the purple/pink-ish colours. In the toystore
    she sometimes even encourages me to buy some TF's even if I don't feel like spending. lol.

20. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

My girlfriend will play along when we go into stores looking for a figure. She can appreciate it to an extent, but she knows how much it means to me and that's why she goes with me into the toy section ^_^