How strict are you in collecting?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by masishadow, Sep 19, 2009.

1. masishadow

masishadow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know about anyone else on here, but some figures I just can't allow into my collection because of the shape they are in. If there is a slightly noticeable defect to them, like a spot of chipped paint/chrome, a stress mark, or something small that is missing that I probably won't be able to find a replacement part for, I just won't put them on my shelves.

When I bought my tripredacus, I bought it as complete, but it was actually missing cicadacon's wing sword things. I almost sold it off because after months of looking, I couldn't find them or a complete cicadacon anywhere. Before I sold it, finally managed to get them from a board member here. I feel stupid sometimes, but I'm just really strict about completeness and overall appearance.

What about anyone else? What will you allow and what will you not?

2. rustyshark

rustyshark G1 FTW

i dont blame you. i prefer complete items. but recently ive found the joy of buying incomplete and looking for the accesories to go with. makes it kinda fun in a way and gives u pride in your toys. but if one is broken or something then yea i can understand that.

3. redoptics

redoptics Banned

when i get a g1 figure and im not happy with it i.e paint chrome, acessories ill keep upgrading until i have a perfect one

4. Trippanator

Trippanator Autobot

Ebay:
    I agree with you, half the fun it looking for the missing parts online

5. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

I need all the accessories. Play wear doesn't bother me. It just makes them look well loved. :thumb 

However, if transmetals are severely flaking, they are a pass.

6. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    I don't like to display my damaged or broken items. Sometimes I have to have them in the collection. I have an Animated Starscream with bits missing on his back and Armada Starscream's mini-con (Swindle?) has a piece missing. These grate on a daily basis.

7. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    this

8. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I like complete pieces in my collection and I would say 99% of my pieces are complete.

I have a couple of figures with a broken gun (missile clip broke) but I bought them as MISB and over the years they break by accidental falls.

I bought the G1 dinobots not completely complete. They are in dino mode so missing weapons are not a bother.

For the most part I like my collection to be complete with minimal showings of playwear.

In the end price is always a factor because I am not wealthy and I refuse to pay some of the rediculas prices out there.

Thanx
    Transbot90210

9. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I don't like incomplete pieces.

The only ones I have that are incomplete are my original Optimus Primal (missing 1 missile, but I could stand to replace the 3 it does have) and my vintage G1 Overdrive (missing neutron blaster) that I just bought and haven't had a chance to complete yet.

10. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    With G1 originals, I'll compromise on the toy having a bit of wear (though nothing too bad) as long as it's still fully functional and complete. Anything from RiD on, I want MISB/MOSC (so it's hopefully as pristine as possible) with certain exceptions, like a figure from a two-pack where I only want one of them.

11. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

ditto.

12. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

Try being patient enough for all the G1 figures you want in flawless misb condition. It gets old.......QUICK

13. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    With original G1 figures, I am picky about a few things but not all. It definitely has to be fully functional but loose and I prefer that it is complete. I do not want to have to deal with figures that are dirty, has significant yellowing problems, or broken pieces. Minor chrome wear is fine or chipped paint is fine but if it is significant then I have hunt for better ones.

14. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

I'm very picky. brand new shape or not at all. I don't want an scuffs or fingerprints or scratches or anything. Which is why my g1 shelf consists of nothing but re-issues lol and mint originals are nice too, but I can't justify spending that much on a toy.

Also I only collect the main characters from each series. If they were only in one or two episodes, I don't get them. if they weren't in a TV series at all, I definitely don't get them.

15. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    I have a thing about germs-- not knowing where a toy's been and all that-- so I very rarely will buy anything that isn't MOSC/MISB (though I also never keep something in-box after I purchase it, I'm not that kind of a collector). Which probably explains why out of my entire collection, I have only 2-3 dozen G1 figures. The only two figs I bought loose in my collection are G1 Squeezeplay and G1 Shockwave because I really REALLY wanted both of them for a semi-reasonable price, and even then I don't play with them as much as I would have if I had gotten them mint.

16. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

For sure, I did my G1 combiners like that, the hunt is the fun. I just wish I still had em.

17. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I have a nearly complete G1 collection and I got it by buying a lot of incompletes and lots cheaply, then picking up extra parts at Botcon or in the Junkion. I have a few in rough shape but I've been upgrading them gradually.

Then I sell off the extras and help out other fans!

18. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    When it comes to G1s & Beasties (the only older figures I collect), I'll only purchase a figure if it's both complete & in good nick. I am definitely not a fan of having to scour Ebay for hard-to-find accessories. It really bugged me when I bought my Devvy Giftset & the seller described it as being "100% complete" & it was actually missing about half of the constructicon's individual guns & missiles. -__-

19. Agent-GHQ

Agent-GHQ Accept the unacceptable

Ebay:
    I'm an 80s kid so I stick with G1 format!

20. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    perfection is not an overriding priority to me I do like them to have there weapons and etc but for vintage figures ill buy incomplete ones which are cheaper and more friendly to my budget *hides my $100 grimlock* I have never been a perfectionist so have absolutely flawless TFs isn't a big factor or obsession to me